**POSSIBLE SPOILERS** The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 Rehearsal Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember in 2001 some fans buying tix just for PJ Harvey and then leaving before U2.

I find it super weird there is more serious discussion about the rehearsals, especially considering the periscoping. As of now the show is in line to be 30 minutes shorter than many 2015 gigs, even factoring all the time taken up with Bono mugging for the crowd. Shortest run or show running times since some of the Elevation dates?

I'd rather have a shorter show filled with older tunes, than a longer one buffered with new drivel like that last abomination of a tour. Incompetence & Excrement '15. :yuck:

I'd love to have Noel is an opener here. I enjoyed his show with High Flying Birds a few years ago.

I'd rather have a shorter show filled with older tunes, than a longer one buffered with new drivel like that last abomination of a tour. Incompetence & Excrement '15. :yuck:

The counter argument is preferring to hear them challenge themselves(great songs on every album, just not the singles or always done nightly) than sitting through cake walked/phoned-in/crowd karaoke performances of WOWY/Found/One/Sunday.

Though the Wednesday performances of those 4 songs I heard were strong.

Pretty much. I actually loved the stripped down "Every Breaking Wave" and the overproduced "Iris" was magical live. The rest of the Songs of Innocence material was just as lame to me as on the LP.

And it's strange because there actually would have been songs I would have liked in a live setting. "California" is the one legitimately very good tune from that project while "Sleep Like A Baby Tonight" and "The Crystal Ballroom" are solid tunes as well.

But "Song for Someone" and "The Miracle" and "Raised By Wolves" and "Cedarwood Road"? That's all stuff that's weaker than any of their B-side material over the decades.

But we still haven't seen the full setlist. I imagine the encore will be longer than four songs and we're still missing pre-War tunes which I imagine they haven't rehearsed yet because they're damn easy to slot into the set.

The counter argument is preferring to hear them challenge themselves(great songs on every album, just not the singles or always done nightly) than sitting through cake walked/phoned-in/crowd karaoke performances of WOWY/Found/One/Sunday.

Though the Wednesday performances of those 4 songs I heard were strong.

Eh, let's see...

One: This was abominable on the last tour and has been terrible throughout this decade. So there's no questioning this one.

Sunday Bloody Sunday: They took a risk with the new version and it fit in with the intended storyline. I thought it worked even if it's not nearly as good as the "normal version"....

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For: Look, this one is really just related to how much you love this song rather than the performance itself which is never much to begin with. I thought it worked as a closer, but I fucking love that song.

With or Without You: Bono put a great deal of emotion into this one, but it was musically lacking especially with his voice getting older and/or recovering from the injury.

I think the argument you're trying to make is on point, but you should have slotted "Streets" and "Bad" with that group as well because they were both woeful on the last tour.

The improvements were clearly "Until The End of the World" and the resurrected "Bullet The Blue Sky"...that might have been it.

"Mysterious Ways" was a draw when compared to 360...I actually would contend that "Even Better Than The Real Thing" sucked completely...just sounded terrible in the arena like it was an industrial track or something.

Most of the B-stage stuff and Song #2 rotation material was pretty damn good...it helps that they weren't in the set every night.

I would make the contention that the 00s material clearly holds up the strongest, and likewise, the SOI material sounded great if you actually enjoy those songs. That should come as no surprise. But "Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo" and "City" sound just as good as ever and really excite the audience, so it's more a question of whether or not you're sick of those tunes. I'm not.

I remember in 2001 some fans buying tix just for PJ Harvey and then leaving before U2.

I find it super weird there is more serious discussion about the rehearsals, especially considering the periscoping. As of now the show is in line to be 30 minutes shorter than many 2015 gigs, even factoring all the time taken up with Bono mugging for the crowd. Shortest run or show running times since some of the Elevation dates?

The lighting/production crew worked til nearly midnight last night They are obviously still building stuf for the presentation.

There's clearly big lighting plans for "Exit" and, I imagine, "Ultraviolet"....makes me pretty inclined to think that the 20 songs or so that they've been running through already have a lot of stuff mapped out.

Which is why in turn the early material won't be that big of a deal since it will likely just be them busting out Boy tunes on the main stage at the start of the show, just like I&E.

There's clearly big lighting plans for "Exit" and, I imagine, "Ultraviolet"....makes me pretty inclined to think that the 20 songs or so that they've been running through already have a lot of stuff mapped out.

Agreed. Unlike their last few big outdoor tours, I get the feeling the lighting plans won't need much experimentation and tweaking because they already know what does and doesn't work. U2 obviously put a great deal of thought into their shows but it's a godsend they have someone like Willie Williams that has been by their side to guide them. He's the one that really gets them going and designs their initial set lists and carries over the themes from previous tours and albums.

Put simply, I find it hard to believe Bono would remember what the lighting was like during 'Exit' all the way back in 1987. That's why they have a Willie!

?

Saw this happen at Boston 1, a group of a dozen or so Polly Jean fans right in front of stage left after she finished. Was beneficial to me, got me to about 3 deep from the stage rather than 6 deep.

U2 obviously put a great deal of thought into their shows but it's a godsend they have someone like Willie Williams that has been by their side to guide them.

I don't I'm exaggerating when I say that guy invented the modern concert. Really, his influence must be on every tour.

One thing that isn't being discussed looking at the setlist, they have left the door wide open for a full Achtung Baby tour. Though part of that is wishful thinking.

Any guesses on the dress rehearsal night next week? I think there are rehearsals mon/tues/wed and Bono mostly on vocal rest Thursday.

He can't even remember the words.

In terms of knowing lyrics in general during a show, neither can a lot of singers around or over his age. I saw Sting over a month ago and he was relying on an ipad or some sort of tablet set down behind a speaker in front of him for a lot of the show. Ric Ocasek had a stand set up for one when I saw The Cars in 2011. Springsteen is known to have a set-up as well.

They are back

RHMT gracing the happy hour crowd

And now a second run through after a couple stops and starts.

2nd runthrough wasn't complete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom