**POSSIBLE SPOILERS** The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 Rehearsal Thread - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > The Joshua Tree 2017 - Tour Central > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #106
War Child

Local Time: 12:13 AM
Love always to The Edge.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #107
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgreg View Post
I think someone awhile back mentioned it as an explanation for why the numbers were so high, since there wasn't any way people actually liked the song. So yeah, it was a joke.
I just said the numbers baffle me, not that they're doctored.

I maintain that if you walked down to the mall and asked ten people if they've heard of the song Ordinary Love, you'll be lucky to find one who knows it. Now I'm not saying U2 should only play hits - hell, I regularly argue the exact opposite - but this is both a weird and a terrible deep cut to pull out of the drawer, especially with a proposed method that's even more weird and terrible.

The set's crowded enough as it is. Something really big and popular won't show up - Bad, New Year's Day, UTEOTW, something like that. The rarities the fanbase has been desiring for years, like A Sort of Homecoming or anything from Pop, have almost no chance because of the limited space. And they're thinking of Ordinary fucking Love? They're out of their minds.

If this reaction is OTT then I don't want to be... under? the top. It's one of the stupidest setlist ideas U2 have ever had.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-28-2017, 01:16 PM   #108
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:13 PM
Yeah but keep in mind this tour isn't like any that U2 have done before- I bought a ticket fully expecting a mainstream, safe, greatest hits-esque tour. I'm really not surprised at the presence of Ordinary Love. It's one of their biggest recent songs and the band clearly love it.

They're playing one of the biggest albums EVER to win back favor, reignite their casual/fringe fans and make some cash. This isn't the tour that we'd be hearing a deep rarity on (aside from the guarantees of RHMT, Trip, One Tree Hill and Exit). I am fully expecting more cuts like that when they pick up the Experience tour though.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:59 PM   #109
Blue Crack Distributor

If U2 would just learn all their fucking songs, grow a set, and rotate the setlists each night (minus the JT part for this tour), we wouldn't even have to be having this conversation.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:06 PM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:13 PM
I think the argument would just shift to something else, no matter what they did. Whether they switched up one or twelve songs a night, there will always be discussions over what the "right" songs and "wrong" songs are. Or how these people got one song, but we didn't get the other, and so on.

This comes after seeing enough message boards for other bands to realize they're having the exact same conversations that we do here.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:16 PM   #111
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
If U2 would just learn all their fucking songs, grow a set, and rotate the setlists each night (minus the JT part for this tour), we wouldn't even have to be having this conversation.
My dream is that the Pre-JT section of the show will be super fluid, but like Hell that actually happens
Old 04-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #112
The Fly

Friday update:

Two bio diesel generator trailers have now arrived on site parked at the street level vehicle entrance. Workers are stringing cables into the venue. That's one interesting part of stadium concerts. The venues don't have enough power or proper distribution network so the shows have to bring their own. I would have expected more trailers than 2 though. Maybe more come but perhaps the LED effect has greatly reduced power consumption. These trailers say CAT Bio Diesel on them.

I tried to take a picture from street level and security got very disturbed by that so I just went up to the Georgia viaduct.

Inside at first glance not much difference but upon closer study I could see the top of an irregular shape attached to the steel scaffolding. Probably the top of a tree. Tough to see in the pictures taken through tinted glass. If you squint hard you can make it ot at the bottom of the visible area through gate 227.

I'm OOT this weekend so no updates till Monday.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #113
ONE
love, blood, life

TWO WEEKS.

https://www.facebook.com/u2/posts/10155624734011686:0
Old 04-28-2017, 07:26 PM   #114
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by prbiker15 View Post
Old 04-28-2017, 07:47 PM   #115
War Child

Local Time: 10:13 PM
So two weeks out and apparently a very tight lid on songs being rehearsed.... unless I missed something. Not that I really expected much different but pretty much leads to JT + Greatest Hits + OL dontcha think?
Old 04-28-2017, 07:48 PM   #116
War Child

Going to be the classics. For moms and Dad's.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:57 PM   #117
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimyc View Post
I wonder how long ago this picture was taken - a little surprising that it's not fully built yet.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:58 PM   #118
War Child

Still a fortnight away.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:58 PM   #119
Blue Crack Distributor

Looks like they have speakers hanging from the ceiling, so those towers must be for video.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:08 PM   #120
The Fly

It's definitely not fully built yet. At least as of this morning. Those speakers hanging from the ceiling are the venue PA system.

Tags
2017, bc place, rehearsal, the joshua tree, tour, u2, vancouver