**POSSIBLE SPOILERS** The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 Rehearsal Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They'd be rehearsing indoors still. They don't want to give too much away - they'll run through with a few days to go, but mostly indoors because it's harder to keep a lid on things in a stadium

Looks like they have speakers hanging from the ceiling, so those towers must be for video.

That photo is a several days old. I've seen things glancing inside that aren't in that photo like them marking off which seats have sight lines blocked by relay towers and which seats can be dropped on ticket master.

White speakers from the roof belong to the venue and won't be used. Many stadiums this tour(think Rose Bowl) have nothing from which to hang speakers. Relay speaker towers which are being tested quietly(computers can "tune" the venue for good/bad frequencies with lasers or some kind of sonar).

Roof is retractable, but while they have had outdoor soccer games they've never done it with concerts here. There's been 10-12 shows booked with the new BC Place roof including some with great weather in the summer. U2's crew were ok opening the roof for 360 Toronto Skydome.

It's definitely not fully built yet. At least as of this morning. Those speakers hanging from the ceiling are the venue PA system.
Yup you're right

BC_Place_Stadium-1423.jpg

Ordinary Love is one of their 10 most played songs on YouTube, the video and tonight show performance have 60+ million views between them.

For comparisons sake... Vertigo has 41 million views. Beautiful Day has 90 million.

More people liked it then people here care to admit, and more people know it then everyone is letting on. It's their most popular song in 10 years.

It's hardly a shock, as lame as the crowd sourced chorus idea may be.

People here don't like it. Okay fine. But this isn't some unknown song.

Its not accurate to compare old songs on youtube to new songs. For example, if you look at the top 500 most played videos/songs on youtube, you are only going to see about 20 songs with enough views to make that list from before the year 2000. If youtube or U2vevo had been around when Vertigo and Beautiful Day were released in 2000 and 2004, those songs/videos would have hundreds of millions of views. So, youtube views are heavily weighted towards new or less old songs. Ordinary Love was released at the end of 2013 and was a luke warm hit in some countries and even made the top 10 in the Netherlands. Its 40 million figure is good and much better than the songs from the last album in youtube views, but that's about it. A new song today should thats a hit around the world will generally have more than 100 million views on youtube I think.

Its not accurate to compare old songs on youtube to new songs. For example, if you look at the top 500 most played videos/songs on youtube, you are only going to see about 20 songs with enough views to make that list from before the year 2000. If youtube or U2vevo had been around when Vertigo and Beautiful Day were released in 2000 and 2004, those songs/videos would have hundreds of millions of views. So, youtube views are heavily weighted towards new or less old songs. Ordinary Love was released at the end of 2013 and was a luke warm hit in some countries and even made the top 10 in the Netherlands. Its 40 million figure is good and much better than the songs from the last album in youtube views, but that's about it. A new song today should thats a hit around the world will generally have more than 100 million views on youtube I think.

That's great, Sting. Except none of the other new U2 songs are even remotely close to the numbers Ordinary Love put up. But I'm sure you'll find some bullshit to excuse that away.

Why is it hard to admit that people actually liked the song? For fucks sake.

U2 must have nailed that time travelling casual fan demographic

Typo! I actually meant 10 to 20's. But really if you are getting that mad about it then maybe you have issues.

Typo! I actually meant 10 to 20's. But really if you are getting that mad about it then maybe you have issues.

Interesting that you assign tone to someone's text... you assume mad, it was more dumbfounded.

If that is what you meant, then it is a pretty easily debatable, and not at all insightful position. OL would easily be their most well known 2010s song considering that they've only released one album in the time, an album that infuriated every non-fan.

That's great, Sting. Except none of the other new U2 songs are even remotely close to the numbers Ordinary Love put up. But I'm sure you'll find some bullshit to excuse that away.

Why is it hard to admit that people actually liked the song? For fucks sake.

I agree its U2's most popular song of the 10s, but that is not saying much. In terms of radio, Ordinary Love cracked the charts a little bit in most countries, while the songs from "Songs Of Innocence" failed to chart nearly everywhere.

Ordinary Love - 38,920,685
Every Breaking Wave - 12,725,390
Song For Someone - 8,311,515
The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) - 5,974,553
Invisible - 11,032,001

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - 4,413,252

Coldplay - Adventure Of A Lifetime - 531,700,944
Coldplay - A Sky Full Of Stars - 284,024,074
Coldplay - Paradise - 699,445,464

Obviously, "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" is still one of U2's most popular songs ever despite having only 4 million views on youtube. Plus an actual true hit, unlike Ordinary Love , is better reflected in the numbers for some of Coldplay's recent songs.

Those Coldplay numbers, are only because they compulsively decide to tour in those South American locations that don't matter but.

They need a couple of songs like BTBS to show me who they really are and to expand their emotional pallette​.

I feel like Coldplay was the band for my generation. I was 18 when "Yellow" and Parachutes broke out, and had just started college. I first saw them at a small venue in 2002 when AROBTTH had just came out. That was one of the best performances I've ever seen by a band. I could tell that they were going to be huge. They just seemed like they wanted it more than any of the other bands of that era, but they weren't arrogant dicks about it like The Killers were. I loved their first 2 albums, X&Y was a little bit of a let down but really not that bad, and then Viva La Vida really connected with me in a big way.

But then starting with Mylo Xyloto, things changed, and they were no longer really a band I could connect with. I still listened to MX and Ghost Stories quite a bit, but this most recent album I just couldn't get into. And their new stuff on the new EP that I've heard just seems to push further down the same road.

I realize that I'm out of touch now at 35, and I don't expect Coldplay to stay the same as they were in the 00's. It just seems like they will do anything and everything to stay hip and current, and it just doesn't seem natural to me anymore. But then again, that's probably what 80's U2 fans thought of AB, Zooropa and Pop, which are probably my 3 favorite U2 albums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom