**POSSIBLE SPOILERS** The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 Rehearsal Thread - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > The Joshua Tree 2017 - Tour Central > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 12:10 AM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:09 AM

Old 04-27-2017, 12:13 AM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:09 PM
I hope most of the video submissions are people with shirts/banners saying "Where's my subsciption gift?"

Old 04-27-2017, 12:57 AM   #63
The Fly

Local Time: 02:09 AM
THX u2fanpeter!
Old 04-27-2017, 04:07 AM   #64
Acrobat

Original of the Species accompanied by Lincoln Centre orchestra, or go home.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:11 AM   #65
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
DYFL would be much much better than Ordinary Love
Old 04-27-2017, 06:09 AM   #66
Refugee

Local Time: 01:09 AM
I think we can mark this thread as the point in Interference when Ordinary Love became one of the worst songs in U2's catalogue
Old 04-27-2017, 06:46 AM   #67
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Ordinary Love is one of their 10 most played songs on YouTube, the video and tonight show performance have 60+ million views between them.

For comparisons sake... Vertigo has 41 million views. Beautiful Day has 90 million.

More people liked it then people here care to admit, and more people know it then everyone is letting on. It's their most popular song in 10 years.

It's hardly a shock, as lame as the crowd sourced chorus idea may be.

People here don't like it. Okay fine. But this isn't some unknown song.

This baffles me. The numbers don't even make sense. Walk up to some random and mention WOWY, Beautiful Day, Vertigo—they'll at least know of them. Mention Ordinary Love and they'll probably just blink in confusion and have no idea what you're talking about. This is a song almost nobody outside the fandom remembers, except maybe if they saw some movie that's also been quickly forgotten.

Most popular song of the last ten years, by the way, isn't a crowded field. With Boots and The Miracle as its biggest rivals, no wonder it's ahead.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-27-2017, 06:55 AM   #68
War Child

Local Time: 06:09 PM
I like OL just fine - I am just more concerned about the band`s apparent strategy to cater to casual fans with middle of the road choices in the setlist. Its almost like the Live Nation marketing department is making set list decisions. I go back to the Paris shows I attended in 2015. As soon as I heard the opening notes of Elevation, my heart sank, it was like fuck what has happened to these guys, they are playing it safe. And following MW with Elevation, while crowd pleasing, is like the Stones following Bitch with Start Me Up - ones an all time classic with swagger and the other just an almost throwaway pop ditty. Night 2 in Paris, we got the Sweetest Thing which is just meh and another fucking safe choice. Just hoping against hope that we will get some pleasant surprises in the JT30 setlists
Old 04-27-2017, 06:58 AM   #69
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
This baffles me. The numbers don't even make sense. Walk up to some random and mention WOWY, Beautiful Day, Vertigo—they'll at least know of them. Mention Ordinary Love and they'll probably just blink in confusion and have no idea what you're talking about. This is a song almost nobody outside the fandom remembers, except maybe if they saw some movie that's also been quickly forgotten.

Most popular song of the last ten years, by the way, isn't a crowded field. With Boots and The Miracle as its biggest rivals, no wonder it's ahead.
I don't know, maybe it was a bit more popular in the US? It charted on the Billboard Hot 100. The only other non album tracks to do that were Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me and The Sweetest Thing.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:18 AM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

Yeah, the doom and gloom over OL is way OTT - but the idea is also just terrible.

I just wish they wouldn't waste a setlist song on any overly stripped down song. I'd love to see a full band, electric OL - it really is one of the better songs of theirs from the last 15 years
Old 04-27-2017, 07:27 AM   #71
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
Yeah, the doom and gloom over OL is way OTT - but the idea is also just terrible.

I just wish they wouldn't waste a setlist song on any overly stripped down song. I'd love to see a full band, electric OL - it really is one of the better songs of theirs from the last 15 years
Agreed all around. Get Edge a Wurlitzer.

The idea sounds terrible, but we haven't seen it in action yet, and as others have said, they've done similar requests like this in the past and they never saw the light of day.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:31 AM   #72
War Child

Local Time: 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post

I'm going with the YouTube views are a function of the movie... I believe an Academy Award nominated movie as well.... and timing relative to YouTube user base growth.

Not really thrilled with the choice either, but it could become a good reason to refill the beer cup... and if there is doubt about Bono hitting high notes on some older JT songs, take a quick listen to the aforementioned YT video... the upper echelons of high notes are front and center on OL best I can tell.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:37 AM   #73
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by miryclayu2 View Post
If they play BAD or One I am cancelling my membership.

This is a first.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:42 AM   #74
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWU2Buffs View Post
I'm going with the YouTube views are a function of the movie... I believe an Academy Award nominated movie as well.... and timing relative to YouTube user base growth.

If I remember correctly, wasn't it released first on YouTube as well. It was the first time U2 embraced the lyric video.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:43 AM   #75
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
This is a first.

Who wants to get gipped out of songs with more characters, like "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me," or "I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight"??? So many more characters.

Tags
2017, bc place, rehearsal, the joshua tree, tour, u2, vancouver