**POSSIBLE SPOILERS** The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 Rehearsal Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't expect Gloria snippet if its part of the album in sequence

he did the Ode to Joy thing in Bullet that he did for the Euro leg of I&E, so I'm not sure snippets are off the table.

getting chills hearing Ultraviolet again. distinctly comes out of BD's outro and appears to have a bit of a light show. Beautiful Day was the song that they restarted from the middle - for the record

If they don't release one that would be an enormous missed opportunity.

Speaking of which, any word yet on a concert film for this tour? When did i+e Paris and 360 Rose Bowl get announced?
Rome would be a great place to film this time around.

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't "The Little Things That Give You Away" been mentioned before like even before SOI?

earliest mention I could find was a Q Magazine interview from SOI. here's the atu2 thread on it (couldn't find one from this forum!!)

Bono called it his "favorite new song at the moment" in that interview in January or whatever. I think chances are high that this could be our song. if it's the show closer, then I'm very excited. I don't love MOS like a lot of people here do but I thought that was a bold ending on 360 (and they stuck with it, too)...another bold ending, especially on what we thought would be a simple cash the check nostalgia tour? that's the U2 I know and love.

even though Ultraviolet and Miss Sarajevo have been frequent (and even regular) on recent tours, I'm still really, really impressed those are getting play. even if it is just rehearsals - I doubt any of us expected either to be in play.

Last edited:
I highly doubt they'll close the show with a song nobody knows

who's to say?

they closed almost every 360 show with Moment of Surrender, and that was an album track. even Love is Blindness served the same purpose on ZooTV. doesn't have to be a big single (Still Haven't Found, One) or song everyone knows (Bad, 40). I think a never before heard song as closer would go over no worse than MOS did on 360 - plenty of people were tuning out/leaving as they played that, both times I saw that tour.

Moment of Surrender was released.

This song is not, unless hey have a huge surprise for us over the next 9 days.

Big difference.

And if anything, the lack of a positive reaction from closing with Moment of Surrender would prevent them from ending with a lesser known track. Just look at how they followed up 360...

Moment of Surrender was released.

This song is not, unless hey have a huge surprise for us over the next 9 days.

Big difference.

And if anything, the lack of a positive reaction from closing with Moment of Surrender would prevent them from ending with a lesser known track. Just look at how they followed up 360...

true, they went with straight up festival encores on I&E (though the Bad/40 combo was a thankful addition as the tour went on). I think it's still likely they go with this. shows strong confidence in the new material, and as posters said above, will be a good way to look into the future after a full show based on nostalgia.

a key thing to note is despite the fact that they all but abandoned NLOTH on the 360 tour, they still stuck to MOS as closer throughout the entire cycle, ditching it only twice (both for curfew purposes)

this is a band that used to take risks - a lot of them actually. they have definitely played it safe in recent years (with some exceptions), but I don't rule them out of being capable of doing something like close their show with a brand new song

A lot of people bought No Line on the Horizon. A lot of people knew Moment of Surrender.

Nobody knows a song they've never heard.

A lot of people bought No Line on the Horizon. A lot of people knew Moment of Surrender.

Nobody knows a song they've never heard.

again, does it matter whether people have heard it or not? once again, I doubt anyone predicted we'd see Ultraviolet or Miss Sarajevo even be in the chatter for this tour, and yet both were played last night, loud and clear (and in MS' case, multiple times throughout the day)

you never know with this band!!! who knows, maybe they really will skip Vertigo this tour

What I'm curious about...without having access to the periscope stuff yet...

1. Is it full Exit?
2. Is IGC full band or acoustic?
3. Is Trip full band or acoustic

again, does it matter whether people have heard it or not? once again, I doubt anyone predicted we'd see Ultraviolet or Miss Sarajevo even be in the chatter for this tour, and yet both were played last night, loud and clear (and in MS' case, multiple times throughout the day)

you never know with this band!!! who knows, maybe they really will skip Vertigo this tour

... yea, it kinda does.

seeing songs that people do know pop up in the set is a wee bit different than closing the set with a song nobody has ever heard before, especially a slow low key number that nobody's heard before.

yes, fine... you never know. but it would be a very odd choice.

Heard the periscope in full. As far as I can hear:

1. Is it full Exit?

Yes, and it sounds massive.

2. Is IGC full band or acoustic?

Full band with guitar solo

3. Is Trip full band or acoustic

Full band with Harmonica

As far as I can hear nothing is accoustic, all electric. Sounding true to originals while having some interesting changes as well.

PS. RHMT sounds like it has added organ or something, and tuned 1/2 to a full note lower than the record. But Bono does hit the chorus :)

Last edited:
18299699_468261473521354_878793760945733632_n.jpg

twould appear to be on the B stage...

Great to hear the band are properly committed to JT. That'll be worth going to, and NYD is a gem, even if Ultra Violet is a turd of a song and Miss Sarajevo is completely overplayed and needs to continue resting a bit.

The new song rehearsal is promising. I wonder if they're confident enough to stick with it.

we still have a lot to talk about until the tour starts, right? Including some additional rehearsal recordings. As bad as they might be qualitywise, I love this pre-tour chatter.

And as long as UV stays in the set I can live with Vertigo, Miss Sarajevo, IWF... you name it.

And if every single TJT song is really played full band, electric... I have no reason to complain. We even talk about a potential SOE song being rehearsed.

This might get really good.

It's just weird seeing 100+ people viewing a thread at once again.

The pre tour buzz is great. Apparently they have just started rehearsals around 15 minutes ago, hopefully we'll hear some more tracks thrown into the mix

I doubt anyone predicted we'd see Ultraviolet or Miss Sarajevo even be in the chatter for this tour, and yet both were played last night, loud and clear (and in MS' case, multiple times throughout the day)

I'm not wild about them "recycling" rarities. it's lazy. I wasn't happy about it in 2015, but I gave it a pass if Bono was still healing and there were 3-4 strong new songs.

Hill/Trip/new song/Exit are interesting, but the rest is a bit same old same old. 1 new song is a big step down from the surprises in 2005-2011. It's not as if they don't have a dozen or two under performed songs that are upbeat and would get a better reaction than hearing Pavarotti's canned singing.

Someone remind them that One Tree Hill was a single as well :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom