**POSSIBLE SPOILERS** The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 Rehearsal Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
when it comes to new music, you won't give up your optimism, right? :)

I would be surprised if anything new (from SOE) would come "soon"

You'd think I would have learned my lesson by now :wink:

Realistically, even if we hear a new tune or two, I doubt we'd get anything official until september at the earliest.

You'd think I would have learned my lesson by now :wink:

Realistically, even if we hear a new tune or two, I doubt we'd get anything official until september at the earliest.

For sure - I think signs are good in their confidence though, I think this is a big tick in the box on the way to September.

I now it is too early to tell anything meaningful, but that melody sounds sick. The music, the hopefully atmospheric vibes, the build up and apparent explosion are all great signs for an artistically satisfying song.

Agreed. It's got a very hopeful, almost sentimental vibe. The tone/feeling for me is reminiscent of Walk On/Kite, which reminds me of Ryan Tedder saying they were using ATYCLB as a benchmark for this album.

It's quite interesting that the first song they'd debut from SoE is a slow burner/ballad like this, rather than a fast paced rocker like Boots or The Miracle. Then again, there's no guarantee this is a lead single or anything.

It's quite interesting that the first song they'd debut from SoE is a slow burner/ballad like this, rather than a fast paced rocker like Boots or The Miracle. Then again, there's no guarantee this is a lead single or anything.

I think its the best thing they could do to be honest, after the last few lead singles or debuts.

Just need then to rehearse Bad now and I will be a happy camper. Never got to see UV on 360.... I got Hold Me which was still great of course.

I think its the best thing they could do to be honest, after the last few lead singles or debuts.

Yeah, makes sense after the lead singles from the last 2 albums flopped.

I must say, this new tune sounds very organic. Emotive, yearning, driving... it really sounds like the band playing to their strengths.

@Dan: Yeah, if they're debuting new material already, and potentially closing the set with it, it's definitely as good a sign as we could get!

Now I'm wondering if we'll see The Best Thing appear during this tour :hmm: I'm so curious what they might've done to that song (potentially a Lillywhite-produced 'live feel'), and how it would compare to the Kygo remix we've heard.

Yeah, makes sense after the lead singles from the last 2 albums flopped.

I must say, this new tune sounds very organic. Emotive, yearning, driving... it really sounds like the band playing to their strengths.

@Dan: Yeah, if they're debuting new material already, and potentially closing the set with it, it's definitely as good a sign as we could get!

Now I'm wondering if we'll see The Best Thing appear during this tour :hmm: I'm so curious what they might've done to that song (potentially a Lillywhite-produced 'live feel'), and how it would compare to the Kygo remix we've heard.

The beach clip was far more guitar driven, but was still quite similar - just less 'canned' in the rhythm section

Sooooo after listening to the full "new song" on Clyp I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this isnt necessarily something from SOE, and could be something they put together simply for this tour... because that backing track sure as shit sounds like it's going to morph right into the opening of Streets.

So those arguing that it's the intro to Streets and those arguing that it's new might both be right.

Remember just because we hear things in a certain order in rehearsals doesn't mean that's how they'll play out in the actual set, especially in early stages.

Last edited:
Sooooo after listening to the full "new song" on Clyp I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this isnt necessarily something from SOE, and could be something they put together simply for this tour... because that backing track sure as shit sounds like it's going to morph right into the opening of Streets.

So those arguing that it's the intro to Streets and those arguing that it's new might both be right.

Remember just because we hear things in a certain order in rehearsals doesn't mean that's how they'll play out in the actual set, especially in early stages.

That's a fair call - even if it does morph, it could be part of what they were working on in the studio in March. Making sure it segues in well.

The Vancouver mystery song to me sounds like an intro of some sort and not necessarily a new song though it does sound beautiful.

Funny side note is they had a couple power washer cleaning the side walks with noisey water spray. They were only out there when the band was playing and having them work at 8pm must have been some nice overtime. One way to ensure no listenable audio gets out from ground level. Traffic and skateboarders make things even tougher.

That explains a lot. The audio from last night is garbage and I remember we got decent audio of Glastonbury when it was first rehearsals in Turin way back in 2010.

The Vancouver mystery song to me sounds like an intro of some sort and not necessarily a new song though it does sound beautiful.

I mean - it's 5 minutes and has structure, melody, build up, etc.

Not sure why people are thinking it is an intro over a new song from the album we know they have recently been trying to finish and have been working on for years

I mean - it's 5 minutes and has structure, melody, build up,etc

and it's not like we are hearing a loop of some kind of intro for 5 mins ... I also think this is quite a finished song (which they rehearsed twice yesterday).

And I hope this time around (unlike iHeart Rehearsals) some new SOE material will make it into the final tracklist of the upcoming tour

No idea - I hope they do something out of the box. There's nothing that says a song they play on the tour has to be the first single though. Might just be one that fits thematically?
I'm not saying it's not going to be from SOE... I'm just saying it sounds like it would flow into the Streets intro perfectly... and it might be something they cooked up just for this tour. It's not crazy to think they'd come up with a special way to introduce the album rather than just go straight into it off a song they've done a million times before.

In fact, I could see Miss Sarajevo into whatever this is into Streets.

All guesses and I'm probably wrong, but just tossing it out there.

If I'm right I'll come back on opening night and demand satisfaction though #stopbullyingme

Not sure why people are thinking it is an intro over a new song from the album we know they have recently been trying to finish and have been working on for years

Because the only audio we have sounds like atmospheric droning with the occasional vocal leap from Bono. When I first heard it the only thing I had to go on was the video being titled "new song." I think it's a new song (especially since Peter, who was on site, refers to it that way) but I'm clamoring to hear more / something clear.

It could be a lead single. They've tried straight-forward rockers for three albums now and it's only worked the first time.

Just because it's an "intro" doesn't mean it can't be long and have melody, structure, and build up. It could very well be a song like Life In Technicolor by Coldplay as that's what it reminds me of in regards to feel. Hopefully they rehearse it again and someone gets a better recording.

Last edited:
Alright, if Ultraviolet is in play, I may break down and pay some obscene amount of money for decent Dallas tickets. Seeing it live in 2009 was unbelievable.

Gotta say, i love the sound of the "new song". It would be really cool to see them going this route as an introduction to the new album instead of a pop or rawk song. What have they got to lose?
If we get an album with this vibe of a song, the hard driven song Adam previewed on the SOE being born clip, and that cool clip that was played on the Edge Fender video near the end, I would be really happy.
Exciting stuff.

Confirmed Rumour: U2 to bring The XX on solely to play Intro before Streets every night

I think it's a fair point that it could've been written for this tour, as an extended intro, or JT out take. And it's true, it doesn't exactly shout 'lead single' - it's a million miles away from The Best Thing.

Having said that, I don't think it's as atmospheric/drone-like as people may think. Listening to it on headphones, I can hear drums, bass guitar, Edge's guitar, a clear chord progression and verse and chorus... and a shit-load of reverb caused by the stadium and low quality recording equipment. The hangar clip of Invisible, and the beach clip of Unknown Caller for example, imply a much more atmospheric sound than we already got. I have a strong feeling this new piece is actually pretty stripped back. And it's definitely a complete song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom