**POSSIBLE SPOILERS** The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 Rehearsal Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Def the same song - the earlier clips seemed to have more of the bass and drums though - I did only catch the end of it on this stream - hopefully someone captured it!

So far...

SBS
NYD

Pride

Bits / full performances of every JT song

One
Ultraviolet

Miss Sarajevo

Beautiful Day

+ an unknown song

Currently sounds a bit like the unknown song from before again

BD was after TJT. it went BD/Ultraviolet/One/Sarajevo/new song...which would be a strong end to the show. I particularly liked BD/Ultraviolet as a transition.

I know we have more rehearsals to come but I think we had some surprises here for sure. no IWF/Vertigo were surprising but I won't be surprised if they show up as the week goes on.

BD was after TJT. it went BD/Ultraviolet/One/Sarajevo/new song...which would be a strong end to the show. I particularly liked BD/Ultraviolet as a transition.

I know we have more rehearsals to come but I think we had some surprises here for sure. no IWF/Vertigo were surprising but I won't be surprised if they show up as the week goes on.

A final encore duo?

You'd want something a little more upbeat to close if One/MS were the 3rd/2nd-last songs of the night.

I heard them work on about 6 songs over 60-70 minutes before going home....thinking they were done for the night. I didn't hear any songs "connected" and they was usually about 5 mins of nothing audible between each song/take.

Miss Sarajevo x 2. First was mostly Bono/Edge on guitar. Seconds was full band, Edge on guitar and Terry doing drone/wash/Eno stuff. Both versions included Pavarotti doing his verse which I find a bit lame. Is there a 2017 political angle with this song choice that I'm missing?

new song x2 Initially I thought it was a JT b-side like Walk on Water or Luminous. Full band with Edge on prominent piano part. heavy drum ending with Edge ripping on a guitar solo. I like the laid back feel of this one. Ending has the "feel it" repeated a bunch of times.

Streets x1. Drone intro felt longer than usual, I'm sure the production has some thing fun of that part of the song. Bono seemed more energetic that recent tours and did the "Burning Down Love" line in full voice.

Red Hill Mining Town x 2 heavy drum intro before the usual guitar bit. I think it's Edge on the church organ sounding chords while singing some choirboy "woo"parts. Bono is better than I expected, but he's picking and choosing the high parts. 2nd verse was low key "talk-sing". Some Bono notes are full power, some thin, some dropped an octave.

Sunday x1. I think it's dropped 2 semi-tones, so it sounds much better than 360. Faithful to the 80's arrangement, but the tempo is faster than 2001, no where near Red Rocks intense and no Bono detours. Had a bit of a "lets get through this in 3 minutes" vibe to it.

New Years Day like UTEOTW I can happily hear this song on an endless loop. Edge is on fire and awesome as always, but it sounds funny to me dropped 2-3 semi tones. Bass part looses it's bite. Bono frankly soundly really bored/distracted. Last verse was instrumental

Funny side note is they had a couple power washer cleaning the side walks with noisey water spray. They were only out there when the band was playing and having them work at 8pm must have been some nice overtime. One way to ensure no listenable audio gets out from ground level. Traffic and skateboarders make things even tougher.

I did get a quick hello with Gavin when he briefly stepped outside.

Only one track from 2000 onwards? Sign me the hell up for that.

please this. I'm more than okay with a new song, as long as the new song is good. and this one seems to be...it's not any Best Thing/pop/EDM garbage, that's for sure.

Funny side note is they had a couple power washer cleaning the side walks with noisey water spray. They were only out there when the band was playing and having them work at 8pm must have been some nice overtime. One way to ensure no listenable audio gets out from ground level. Traffic and skateboarders make things even tougher.

I saw and heard one of those pressure washing guys working by the Sports museum earlier. Nobody was on the false creek side though by gate E and a lot less road noise there too. There was even a pressure washer cleaning the sidewalk at Cambie and Smithe. Are they paying people to create extra white noise around the venue?

Last edited:
I saw one and heard of those pressure washing guys working by the Sports museum earlier. Nobody was on the false creek side though by gate E and a lot less road noise there too. There was even a pressure washer cleaning the sidewalk at Cambie and Smithe. Are they paying people to create extra white noise around the venue?

You can absolutely bet on it. BC Place isn't as sonically airtight as Rogers or the PNE Arena, where they rehearsed last time, I believe.

I was at a small out door summer concert at the Plaza of Nations once, and Taylor Swift was playing next door at BC Place, and the sound of many thousands of mostly young girls screaming almost overpowered the band I was watching at times.

You can absolutely bet on it. BC Place isn't as sonically airtight as Rogers or the PNE Arena, where they rehearsed last time, I believe..

Not if anyone has a drone to fly with audio/video attached. I think it's perfectly legal if done within reason.

BC Place roof has air holes where all the sound is escaping.

I heard them work on about 6 songs over 60-70 minutes before going home....thinking they were done for the night. I didn't hear any songs "connected" and they was usually about 5 mins of nothing audible between each song/take.

Miss Sarajevo x 2. First was mostly Bono/Edge on guitar. Seconds was full band, Edge on guitar and Terry doing drone/wash/Eno stuff. Both versions included Pavarotti doing his verse which I find a bit lame. Is there a 2017 political angle with this song choice that I'm missing?

new song x2 Initially I thought it was a JT b-side like Walk on Water or Luminous. Full band with Edge on prominent piano part. heavy drum ending with Edge ripping on a guitar solo. I like the laid back feel of this one. Ending has the "feel it" repeated a bunch of times.

Streets x1. Drone intro felt longer than usual, I'm sure the production has some thing fun of that part of the song. Bono seemed more energetic that recent tours and did the "Burning Down Love" line in full voice.

Red Hill Mining Town x 2 heavy drum intro before the usual guitar bit. I think it's Edge on the church organ sounding chords while singing some choirboy "woo"parts. Bono is better than I expected, but he's picking and choosing the high parts. 2nd verse was low key "talk-sing". Some Bono notes are full power, some thin, some dropped an octave.

Sunday x1. I think it's dropped 2 semi-tones, so it sounds much better than 360. Faithful to the 80's arrangement, but the tempo is faster than 2001, no where near Red Rocks intense and no Bono detours. Had a bit of a "lets get through this in 3 minutes" vibe to it.

New Years Day like UTEOTW I can happily hear this song on an endless loop. Edge is on fire and awesome as always, but it sounds funny to me dropped 2-3 semi tones. Bass part looses it's bite. Bono frankly soundly really bored/distracted. Last verse was instrumental

I did get a quick hello with Gavin when he briefly stepped outside.

Thanks Peter - great info on the new song - hope this one sticks around and makes it to the show!

I know they've played lots of unreleased songs live in the past (though only 360 sticks out since the early 80s), but has an unreleased song ever made an official release? If it is a closer or a major part of the set, there is every chance a tour DVD/fan club release will include it

Was the vocals more like this(listen from 6:10 to chours)
https://youtu.be/_rSo5tXvtBs?t=6m10s

I like what little we can hear of the new song so far. Is it just me, or does it seem to be the same chord progression as 'All My Life' from the Rick Rubin sessions? Not saying it's the same song, but still kinda funny...

It's promising that they're rehearsing it already, and possibly as the finale of the set. Makes it seem like a finished song they feel is strong enough to close with, rather than a skeletal demo they're road testing (like EBW, north star).

Assuming this makes it to the actual shows (based on repeated plays and placement in set, the odds look good), I wonder if it might be officially released anytime soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom