New Presale Procedure Coming? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > The Joshua Tree 2017 - Tour Central > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2017, 02:41 PM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 09:29 AM
I've heard of those. U2 hasn't done that yet, have they?

Old 09-30-2017, 05:33 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I don't quite get this presale mania thing.

I've never participated in a U2 presale. Ever. And yet I've attended every show I've wanted to and never had a problem getting tickets. Granted, I don't care about GA, but even if I didn't I'd never jump through these kind of hoops to see any band.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:37 AM   #18
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:29 PM
Buying tickets to any sort of major event is pretty much the worst now. And it seems every attempt to stop scalpers in fact just puts more barriers in front of fans while scalpers continue to get the tickets they desire. This verified fan nonsense that requires you to buy extra copies of the album is a particular slap in the face to less wealthy fans. Don't have much disposable income? Fuck you, you don't deserve a ticket.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:51 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
This verified fan nonsense that requires you to buy extra copies of the album is a particular slap in the face to less wealthy fans. Don't have much disposable income? Fuck you, you don't deserve a ticket.
Actually, it's a slap in the face whether you're wealthy or not. You shouldn't have to buy multiple copies of an album simply to buy a concert ticket. It's not about whether you have the extra cash laying around. I'm doing fine, but I'd never participate in something like this simply because it's just so infuriatingly insulting. Especially given that you're apparently not guaranteed anything. I buy every U2 record simply because, well habit, but the day I have to buy an extra copy of an album I don't like anyway to see U2 perform is the day I stop seeing U2 perform. And good riddance.

Though you're right, for those who can't afford it, it just adds injury to insult.

It's just another symptom of growing wealth disparity. There are fewer and fewer people who can afford stuff like this, but those that can are ready to pay a premium for it...and the artists and promoters are happy to let them.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:19 AM   #20
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
Actually, it's a slap in the face whether you're wealthy or not. You shouldn't have to buy multiple copies of an album simply to buy a concert ticket. It's not about whether you have the extra cash laying around. I'm doing fine, but I'd never participate in something like this simply because it's just so infuriatingly insulting. Especially given that you're apparently not guaranteed anything. I buy every U2 record simply because, well habit, but the day I have to buy an extra copy of an album I don't like anyway to see U2 perform is the day I stop seeing U2 perform. And good riddance.

Though you're right, for those who can't afford it, it just adds injury to insult.

It's just another symptom of growing wealth disparity. There are fewer and fewer people who can afford stuff like this, but those that can are ready to pay a premium for it...and the artists and promoters are happy to let them.
I pretty much agree with this.

The point, I guess, is if you're some diehard fan making a million dollarydoos per year off your bank balance's interest alone, buying fifty copies of the album means nothing to you. Even if it feels like an insult, so what, it's a drop in the ocean. If you're NYDfan83 who first saw U2 at the Wellington Town Hall in 1984 and has spent the last 35 years working as a mechanic or whatever, this is just like saying "hey you've followed us for decades but your desire to see us live doesn't count for shit if you can't buy copies of the album you demonstrably don't need just to help us get up the charts".

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-30-2017, 08:39 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
The point, I guess, is if you're some diehard fan making a million dollarydoos per year off your bank balance's interest alone, buying fifty copies of the album means nothing to you.
Well of course the irony is the people you're describing don't have to worry or even think about pre-sales and jumping through hoops at all. If they want to see an artist (or be seen seeing that artist) they're willing and able to pay whatever price for a ticket.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:21 AM   #22
Vocal parasite

*paying a scalper to buy fifty copies of the album means nothing to you

Happy now, Nick?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-01-2017, 12:10 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble View Post
This will not be "Rock hottest ticket" in 2018.

Nobody will have any problem getting a ticket....at least for the North american shows.
The demand for the I&E Tour clearly wasn't as high as in the past, but obviously the JT Tour was huge in both ticket scales and devotion (crazy long lineups for GA).

But what you're implying is wrong simply because every decently priced ticket on I&E went into the hands of scalpers immediately. Even if demand is light, the scalpers will be scooping up those $40 nosebleed tickets (or whatever they are before fees) completely. Likewise, places where demand was super high actually saw basically ALL of the seated tickets end up with scalpers instantly.

So, getting tickets to a U2 show has actually been very shitty lately for anybody who isn't a fan club member. Tickets (including GA) were usually quite easy to get for US shows on both the Vertigo and 360 Tours, but the industry has changed like crazy with all the scalping bots.

New album will automatically resonate with the general public more than the last for what it's worth. You're The Best Thing About Me is the biggest hit they've had since at least Get On Your Boots and it will probably end up being their most recognized single since the Bomb-era. So that's at least one tune the casuals will give a shit about which is more than zero from the previous LP.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:31 AM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post

New album will automatically resonate with the general public more than the last for what it's worth. You're The Best Thing About Me is the biggest hit they've had since at least Get On Your Boots and it will probably end up being their most recognized single since the Bomb-era. So that's at least one tune the casuals will give a shit about which is more than zero from the previous LP.
Ordinary Love cracked the Hot 100, peaking at 84.