Mexico City and Puebla earthquake - will it affect U2 playing there soon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougal55

War Child
I just pray and hope for all Mexicans during the so awful times after yet another earthquake (2nd in 10 days) but while I worry about them right now, I also worry about how much damage there might be to the very stadium Foro Sol which U2 is due to play in a couple of weeks time. I hope U2 will still play whatever happens and give a ray of hope and comfort.

Anyone know what’s gonna happen?

dougal55

The shows are still 2 weeks away. Unless there is major damage to the actual stadium, I would imagine the shows will go ahead.

The shows are still 2 weeks away. Unless there is major damage to the actual stadium, I would imagine the shows will go ahead.

It won't take "major" damage to close a stadium down. Any doubt to the integrity of the foundations and such will impact the ability to assure that the event is safe. I imagine that they will have their answer to this in a couple of days.

I am supposed to be headed there in nine days for vacation and the shows and right now am in waiting and watching mode. I don't expect any definitive indications until the end of this week/beginning of next week about the shows (although a reminder email from Ticketmaster showed up in my email this morning!). If the shows are still on, I will go, if not then I will cancel the trip.

^I'm in the same boat. I'm preparing for a cancellation though. It all seems to be quite devastating.

I hope the shows go on, but if they do cancel them, hopefully they'll be able to give a lot more advance notice than they did for STL.

I hope so too. I literally just got another email from Ticketmaster.mx about where to pick up my tickets for the show.

I hope the shows go on, but if they do cancel them, hopefully they'll be able to give a lot more advance notice than they did for STL.

Exactly...

But I am feeling more optimistic today that it will be on, been surfing all around and it seems that Foro Sol is OK, and ServicioTM Twitter has been answering inquiries today saying the shows remain as scheduled, whereas yesterday they were saying that there was no info yet and to stay tuned.

So far it looks like they are announcing postponements a couple days ahead at a time. This is where we'd see an update. On U2's Instagram they said San Diego will be the last North American date so a postponement might already be a lock.

| AVISO IMPORTANTE: conciertos pospuestos

Except that Mexico City isn't being considered part of the North American leg (even though it is in North America), so I would not draw assumptions from that.

I just read an official statement from Ocesa (from their official Twitter account) where it says that every single venue that they operate in (which includes Foro Sol) has been inspected and all of them are fine. So at least there's that and I'm guessing the band is determined to play as soon as possible, so I doubt that they'll cancel.

The only reason that I'm thinking of why they could cancel the shows is that there's still a lot of damaged buildings that are in risk of collapsing (so, it will only add to the chaos, but at least those buildings have been evacuated) and the other reason is that of a major replica that could cause more damage.

Kasabian just tweeted that they are on their way to their concert there this Wednesday in another venue in the same complex, so stuff is starting up again.

Back
Top Bottom