Larry's not on board...and Bono knows it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redhill

Refugee

Watch the body language and eye contact between Larry and Bono from 0:38 - 0:56. Bono with tongue planted firmly in cheek and an uncomfortable staring contest. Painful to watch actually.

Larry couldn't pick a song that he was looking forward to playing. Then when asked again, he joked about Exit because the fan mentioned it. Later, when asked which song he would have liked to have been included on the album...still no answer.

His quote near the end of Lovetown about not wanting to be a jukebox comes to mind.

I'm sure some will say that I'm reading into things too much but this seems obvious and undeniable to me. I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade because there are aspects to this tour that I do find exciting...especially the possibility of their choosing to put some of the B-sides in rotation.

Unfortunately, however, I have to say that I completely understand why Larry would not be on board...

:reject:

Larry has never been the most forward or charismatic screen personality. He'll be OK during the shows, which is all I'm concerned about.

I really feel like Larry hates being in U2. I feel like he might even hate Bono. I think if the money weren't so good he would be gone. Being in the biggest band in the world can be hard to walk away from, when millions of dollars are on the line.

He's always been the silent, surly one, but he doesn't even seem like he's able to feign even the slightest amount of joy, onstage or in interviews.

I really feel like Larry hates being in U2. I feel like he might even hate Bono. I think if the money weren't so good he would be gone. Being in the biggest band in the world can be hard to walk away from, when millions of dollars are on the line.

He's always been the silent, surly one, but he doesn't even seem like he's able to feign even the slightest amount of joy, onstage or in interviews.
Botox will do that to you

Watch the body language and eye contact between Larry and Bono from 0:38 - 0:56. Bono with tongue planted firmly in cheek and an uncomfortable staring contest. Painful to watch actually.

Larry couldn't pick a song that he was looking forward to playing. Then when asked again, he joked about Exit because the fan mentioned it. Later, when asked which song he would have liked to have been included on the album...still no answer.

His quote near the end of Lovetown about not wanting to be a jukebox comes to mind.

I'm sure some will say that I'm reading into things too much but this seems obvious and undeniable to me. I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade because there are aspects to this tour that I do find exciting...especially the possibility of their choosing to put some of the B-sides in rotation.

Unfortunately, however, I have to say that I completely understand why Larry would not be on board...

:reject:

You aren't reading into things too much.

You're creating something that isn't there in order to fit your own narrative.

You aren't reading into things too much.

You're creating something that isn't there in order to fit your own narrative.

No, he's not. I actually think he about nails it.

Here's what I have to say about this clip.

The first few seconds, with the old footage (including, oddly enough, Pride) gave me chills. Wow. What a band this was.

My advice for U2: Don't contrast your disinterested, going through the motions, stuck on cruise control, ringing the cash register asses so closely to reminders of what you used to be. You're everything you used to mock. That's fine, but reminding people of it in such a blatant way is not a good look.

And yeah, Larry doesn't have a fuck left to give.

Last edited:
Really?

I think I could convince more people here that Larry is probably frustrated with that day's studio session being interrupted for this interview. It is a very likely scenario.

But this is interference and it doesn't surprise me to see this thread. [emoji23]

Really?

I think I could convince more people here that Larry is probably frustrated with that day's studio session being interrupted for this interview. It is a very likely scenario.

But this is interference and it doesn't surprise me to see this thread. [emoji23]

Yes, this is interference so it doesn't surprise me to have a bunch of posts needlessly contradicting me. If you can't see what I'm talking about....knowing this band....then I can't help you.

I'm no body language expert but if ten of the worlds best analyzed this interaction I think all ten would agree with me (without even knowing the band).

Why is Larry making that face (grimacing as he answers a couple times) and speaking to Bono instead of the camera? Why does Bono stick his tongue in his cheek whilst glaring back at him. Why is Larry shaking his head "no" when answering that first question and stuttering. Don't you think if he was on board he would have mentioned a specific song? It's quite obvious. Do you really think he's looking forward to playing WOWY for the 20,892nd time? Maybe I'm just better at reading body language then I thought because it's so clear to me.

I like posting here because occasionally there's a rational person and I still love this band...but it's so predictable....a bunch of naysayers step in, sometimes tries to mock me, etc.

I also knew that a lot of people would say "oh, that's just Larry being Larry".

Why can't more than just a couple people say "I think you have a point"? I swear some people just argue for the sake of arguing and wind up looking delusional in the process.

Again, I respect and appreciate that a lot of people have spent money and have already made plans to see this tour. I totally understand and don't want to diminish anyone's enjoyment.

But to suggest that this tour isn't everything that this band used to stand against is absolute madness (and not the grand kind).

Whatever happened to "no reverse gears on this tank"?

As far as creating a narrative as someone else suggested, funnily enough, the band is the one creating the narrative and not me. This whole "the album is relevant again" thing is simply the cover story.

Bono is desperate for relevance and they're hoping on Trump's exposure (to a large extent) to try and find some by touring on the back of a thirty year old album. It's a backwards strategy and that's a fact.

One of the most magical things about this band is when their material is brought into focus after it's created (like the New York shows after 9/11) or when something happens organically.

18:38 - 19:25. This is the type of integrity that this band always stood for. I know these are different times but what the hell happened to this line of thinking? This meant a lot to me and I hate to see that it's gone. I've always wanted them to have one more "world beating" moment where they make a phenomenal album that is widely regarded. Now they're trying to force it by creating a narrative so they can make a desperate bid for relevance.

You ever notice how desperate men aren't attractive to women? Why can't they see that this desperation is not working for them? If they wan't to capture the world's imagination with their music again...they should make the damn album they want and not worry about the latest "hip" producer or trying to make hits.

It's sad and Larry's heart is not in this. As he has said in the past, he does not want to be a jukebox.

I almost hate bringing all this up because some of what I'm saying (as opposed to the video which is blatantly obvious) is not measurable. But this is what I see.

With that said, there are some aspects to this tour that are exciting. What will the stage look like? How will they play some of these songs (like Exit, ITTYW, RHMT) that haven't been played for a while (or ever)? Will this tour breathe new life into some of the warhorses? Will Bono step up and actually try to do these songs justice? Will they dust off any B-sides? Maybe even play Heartland? How will the tour be received by the world at large? etc, etc

But I can't ever forget that it's a desperate move concealed by a false narrative. It just is.

Who knows? Maybe it will make the world pay more attention to their next album and it will be a good move for them in that way.

Now that I think about it, I think that U2 stopped being the same band when that they lost their fifth member (Paul M who I have met).

I'll always follow this band but they're so lost right now and it makes me really sad.

Last edited:
Yeah - my god. Larry has been like this for years. To assume why he looks stern is a step of ridiculousness and assumption that is astounding, even for interference.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yeah - my god. Larry has been like this for years. To assume why he looks stern is a step of ridiculousness and assumption that is astounding, even for interference.

See what I mean? I've made no assumptions...I'm simply observing the subtext. We all know how Larry is in interviews but this is so obvious. I swear if I said the grass was green some people here would tell me I'm crazy.

Larry was asked three separate times about songs he was excited about from that era. How many did he seriously mention?

-0-

Is that an "astounding" assumption?

Last edited:
If you think that Larry is going to be against this tour and fight against it with other band members, then go into a public appearance 3 months after they announce the tour only to sulk about it? ...well, I'm sorry that I can't help you because you don't know the band like I do. (I like this last bit, very empowering indeed)

Seriously, Larry looks disengaged. Absolutely. Why? Who cares. Larry doesn't hide it. Never has. History shows it. It's not like this is a "new" Larry we're looking at here.

If you think that Larry is going to be against this tour and fight against it with other band members, then go into a public appearance 3 months after they announce the tour only to sulk about it? ...well, I'm sorry that I can't help you because you don't know the band like I do. (I like this last bit, very empowering indeed)

Seriously, Larry looks disengaged. Absolutely. Why? Who cares. Larry doesn't hide it. Never has. History shows it. It's not like this is a "new" Larry we're looking at here.

No, it's most certainly not a "new" Larry. In fact, this reminds me of the Larry who lost heart in even being in the band if he had to be a "jukebox" at the end of Lovetown. Part of the mindset that went into them having to "dream it all up again".

Who cares? I do....and so should anyone who calls themselves a fan. Maybe it's time for them to "dream it all up again...again" or throw in the towel.

I don't mean to take a high and mighty stance but I truly don't know how anyone who knows this band can't see what I'm talking about. Especially when the band has made statements over the course of the majority of their career that run counter to their current mindset.

The fact that all 4 members are spotted inside a studio is all I care about. It's crazy maybe, but I feel so spoiled about this piece of information alone. I've been on this ride since 1984. They defy everything and they owe me nothing. It's beautiful really.

See what I mean? I've made no assumptions...I'm simply observing the subtext. We all know how Larry is in interviews but this is so obvious. I swear if I said the grass was green some people here would tell me I'm crazy.

Larry was asked three separate times about songs he was excited about from that era. How many did he seriously mention?

-0-

Is that an "astounding" assumption?

Yes it is. And to claim you've made no assumptions in a thread you have titled "Larry's not on board.." is Trump-like alternative truth deflections.

The fact that all 4 members are spotted inside a studio is all I care about. It's crazy maybe, but I feel so spoiled about this piece of information alone. I've been on this ride since 1984. They defy everything and they owe me nothing. It's beautiful really.

I respect that. It really is all gravy at this point. This is just the first time I've been deeply disappointed with them and it's difficult. I've been fighting their corner for so long and I can't do that this time around.

Is UF your favorite album? It's definitely mine...

Really?

:up:

Larry could've received some bad news before the shoot or had a bad day up to that point, who knows. It's none of our business.

I am an RBF 'sufferer' so it annoys me when people read too much into facial expressions and try to deconstruct the band's apparent downfall because of it.

:up:

Larry could've received some bad news before the shoot or had a bad day up to that point, who knows. It's none of our business.

I am an RBF 'sufferer' so it annoys me when people read too much into facial expressions and try to deconstruct the band's apparent downfall because of it.

Actually, as fans, it sort of is our business and if they start to do things they railed against for decades.

And the things I'm talking about in that q&a went beyond just facial expressions. I don't think I read too much into anything. I'm calling it like I see it and stated several facts.

I don't think this will be their downfall but it's certainly not an inspired move.

Actually, as fans, it sort of is our business and if they start to do things they railed against for decades.

And this is the difference between you and I. By this, it is implied that you are owed something. In this case, that a 40 year old band can't profit like every single other band their age or half age.

The Three Sunrises is a half star better to my ears.

And this is the difference between you and I. By this, it is implied that you are owed something. In this case, that a 40 year old band can't profit like every single other band their age or half age.

The Three Sunrises is a half star better to my ears.

They do owe me and every fan something. The truth and to at least try to live by the words that they themselves spoke.

At the very least, Bono himself thanks fans for "giving them a great life" at almost every concert "and for sticking with them". He's also spoke repeatedly of the "kind of deal" going with fans to not be crap, be boring, etc, etc. So I agree with Bono that they do owe fans something. Right now they're not holding up their end of the bargain as I see it.

I don't begrudge them making money...just not like this.

Yes it is. And to claim you've made no assumptions in a thread you have titled "Larry's not on board.." is Trump-like alternative truth deflections.

Still hangin' on to that distortion, huh? Crazy. You replied to a quote with an indisputable and proven fact (clearly presented) and still call it an assumption. Do I really need to go back and list the others? The awkward staring factually happened. The -0- song representation (apart from Exit which was a joke based on the fan's question) definitely happened. Larry answering the question directly to Bono definitely happened. Bono planting his tongue in his cheek (cause we all do that when we totally buy something someone says, right?) while staring with a wry grin (and then Larry looking down) definitely happened, and Larry's displeasure with being a "jukebox" during Lovetown definitely happened.

These, my friend, are not assumptions. These are what grown ups call facts.

Let me help you out since you obviously don't know about dictionaries.

Fact: a piece of information used as evidence or as part of a report or news article.

Assumption: a thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proof.

Just go to google and type in words and the definitions will usually come up on the very first page!

Last edited:

The bad news was needing to do the JT tour part 3.

Seriously though, picking up on the "they owe us nothing" point of view. More precisely they don't owe us any music. This is good given SOE and the various excuses and delays. So we have to cop this on the chin. New music is hard for them. We, the fans, get that.

But I do think they do owe us something. They should at least be true to their past and things they have said. Thats where the JT thing is rubbing people up the wrong way. Its just so damn contradictory to their entire 40 year history.

You dont have to think very deep to see this in my view. I guess some of us are having a harder time coming to terms with it. But similarly it should not be a stretch of your imagination to think even the band members themselves, especially Larry, are struggling with it too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom