Larry's not on board...and Bono knows it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Larry has expressed in the past that he does not want to be a jukebox. This tour concept is the epitome of that.
How is the epitome of that?! 1. You haven't seen the setlist, and 2. They've never played the album in full or any album.

Bono has stated that someone should "call the cops" if this mindset / tour lasts longer than a summer. If that's not the words of someone being conflicted about their approach, I don't know what is.

Then call the cops at the end of the summer, stop creating outrage.

Larry was asked to name a JT song he was excited about in relation to this tour. Apart from an off handed joke in response to a fan's comment, he named precisely -0-.

So?! Are you new to U2?! That was a very Larry answer.

I'm sorry to have piled on a bit, by the way. I've been disappointed by the band as well. But you know what, it's all gravy at this point. Maybe take that passionate energy and apply it to something productive.

And I hope you're pleasantly surprised by the update of the song and enjoy the show. :)

Thank you. You're right and I will. I actually should be working right now anyway.

I hope you enjoy the tour as well ;]

:wave:

I was ambivalent about the tour when it was announced (would rather have SOE, thanks), but I'm really psyched to see the first two shows of the tour.

giphy.gif

Ha! Nicely chosen GIF.

Yea, you're right. I'm done.

Those who made no rational arguments and chose to attack me instead (for stating the truth) can throw me under the bus in peace.

Take it easy man.

Ha! Nicely chosen GIF.

Yea, you're right. I'm done.

Those who made no rational arguments and chose to attack me instead (for stating the truth) can throw me under the bus in peace.

Take it easy man.

Mate, I agree with your underlying premise....i.e. Larry might not be 100% giddy about what the band is doing now. And anyone who has read any of the books about the band over the past 15 years knows that there's tension in the Larry/Bono relationship. IMO they still love each other but probably don't like each other much these days.

But as for what's going on in that moment on the video? Who knows. Larry seems pissed and annoyed that he has to be there at all. But that's basically been Larry for quite some time. Since there are no "facts' (or "truth") here to prove or disprove, it's all just opinion as to exactly what the dynamic between Larry and Bono, and the rest of the band is in that moment. They're a family, and it would be like us trying to figure out the glances a couple give at a dinner party...there's a lot going on we just don't know about. It might have been something as simple as Bono taking Larry's parking space outside the studio.

Again, the dynamic between Larry and Bono, and Larry's "one foot out the door" has been pretty well reported on from different enough sources over a long enough time to conclude that there is probably something going on there. But for now he's in the band, even if under duress. :) I also agree they're not what they were...who among us is?

Let's enjoy it while we can, because when it's gone, it's gone.

Last edited:
Regardless of Larry's facial expression during the Q&A this week(After all, Larry nerver had a 1 million dollars smille on his face),there is one thing we can all agree on with redhill, and that is this tour is something that the band had refused to be for 40 years.

.....And that disappointment is fully legit.Nothing "coo-coo" about it.

JT30 re-release and tour, and let's delay SOE even more. :shrug: How on earth did we get here ? It's their lamest move.

Larry's Spinal Tap comment was ace, as was the air horn. I'm only impressed if he is the one U2 member showing discontent with the current moves.

Mate, I agree with your underlying premise....i.e. Larry might not be 100% giddy about what the band is doing now. And anyone who has read any of the books about the band over the past 15 years knows that there's tension in the Larry/Bono relationship. IMO they still love each other but probably don't like each other much these days.

But as for what's going on in that moment on the video? Who knows. Larry seems pissed and annoyed that he has to be there at all. But that's basically been Larry for quite some time. Since there are no "facts' (or "truth") here to prove or disprove, it's all just opinion as to exactly what the dynamic between Larry and Bono, and the rest of the band is in that moment. They're a family, and it would be like us trying to figure out the glances a couple give at a dinner party...there's a lot going on we just don't know about. It might have been something as simple as Bono taking Larry's parking space outside the studio.

Again, the dynamic between Larry and Bono, and Larry's "one foot out the door" has been pretty well reported on from different enough sources over a long enough time to conclude that there is probably something going on there. But for now he's in the band, even if under duress. :) I also agree they're not what they were...who among us is?

Let's enjoy it while we can, because when it's gone, it's gone.

Rational :up:

I was ambivalent about the tour when it was announced (would rather have SOE, thanks), but I'm really psyched to see the first two shows of the tour.

At least there is 1 member on this board that is honest enough to admit that she would rather take the SOE tour than this jukebox tour.And i think that Larry and Adam feel the same way.

:up:

I guess that most of us has come to the conclusion that when you paint yourself in a corner for 40 years, the only solution to get out of that corner is to walk on the painting.

Last edited:
That's not to say I hate the idea of the tour. I am not bothered in the least that they are doing it. I am just annoyed about SOE being pushed.

At least there is 1 member on this board that is honest enough to admit that she would rather take the SOE tour than this jukebox tour.And i think that Larry and Adam feel the same way.

:up:

I guess that most of us has come to the conclusion that when you paint yourself in a corner for 40 years, the only solution to get out of that corner is to walk on the painting.

I think there are plenty in here saying they'd prefer SOE, but i really don't think that was the point of this crazy thread.

So what body language did you read from Adam that suggested he's not on board either?

Good one troll. Grow up. Would expect more from someone with a U2 website. Keep taking notes and don't worry about your inability to read between the lines.

After reading the rest of this thread, is your inane militancy also a Morrissey tribute?

Lol missed this earlier.

Axver, you troll!

I prefer "vocal parasite", thank you.

I think there are plenty in here saying they'd prefer SOE, but i really don't think that was the point of this crazy thread.

So what body language did you read from Adam that suggested he's not on board either?

Im referring to Adam's quote in the Achtung baby video in 1992 when he talk about the lovetown tour and saying that didn't want any part of that in the future,,meaning being a jukebox band.

Last edited:
Im referring to Adam's quote in the Achtung baby video in 1992 when he talk about the lovetown tour and saying that didn't want any part of that in the future,,meanning being a jukebox band.

Glad he changed his mind, because I sure don't want to see another mediocre tour of mediocre newer songs. 360 was a real low for U2. At least the JT30 Tour guarantees a large chunk of the setlist will be genuinely great.

Im referring to Adam's quote in the Achtung baby video in 1992 when he talk about the lovetown tour and saying that didn't want any part of that in the future,,meaning being a jukebox band.

You're the same person as you were in 92?

Have you seen the setlist already?

One they've never played, many they haven't touched in decades, so how is it a jukebox again?

Now we're getting into semantic territory.Look,as i said earlier, most of us have come to term with the band walking on their own painting to get out of that corner.They have surrender and wave the white flag in regards of whats more important to them, defending new material or celebrate their back catalogue.

How is it semantics to point out that the entire Side B of JT has been played live less than any individual song from Side A, and that any fan who missed the JT/Lovetown tours is most likely to have never heard a single one of those six songs live? For the vast majority of attendees, they're going to get about as many new-to-them live songs this tour as they would on any other.

Now we're getting into semantic territory.Look,as i said earlier, most of us have come to term with the band walking on their own painting to get out of that corner.They have surrender and wave the white flag in regards of whats more important to them, defending new material or celebrate their back catalogue.

If they have to make a small detour to figure out where they're heading then I couldn't give a f**k. This isn't something to whine about. Honestly, I find those that are bringing up 20 year old quotes speaking about the 'U2 jukebox' without understanding the context, to be just as stuck as they're claiming the band to be.

How is it semantics to point out that the entire Side B of JT has been played live less than any individual song from Side A, and that any fan who missed the JT/Lovetown tours is most likely to have never heard a single one of those six songs live? For the vast majority of attendees, they're going to get about as many new-to-them live songs this tour as they would on any other.

They choose this jukebox tour rather than finishing SOE,even though SOE is close to be done.

The fact that decided to ignore 4-5 songs from TJT in the last 30 years doesn't undermind the fact those tunes will be 30 years old

You know, I wasn't going to get involved anymore, but now we have several people (including you ) acting like bullies because some people want the band to stay true to the principled stands they have taken in the past (which are a big part of the reason they have been so admirable). This is commendable and not something to browbeat someone over.

It's the band who have made this lame move and not the fans who have been following them all these years.

Try to distort it and play with semantics any way you want. Playing an entire, thirty year old album, is the very definition of being a jukebox.

They choose this jukebox tour rather than finishing SOE,even though SOE is close to be done.

The fact that decided to ignore 4-5 songs from TJT in the last 30 years doesn't undermind the fact those tunes will be 30 years old

Just like your buddy redhill, you are assuming intentions and outcomes based on knowing a small amount of the inputs.

Are they touring the Joshua Tree? Yes. Is this instead of working on SOE? Maybe? Who the fuck knows but them.

Would I prefer SOE? Yes. Would I prefer them tour TJT, play live songs never and rarely ever played before, and release songs on vinyl I want to own in that format than to disappear for another two years like before every other album. Fuck yes.

Glad he changed his mind, because I sure don't want to see another mediocre tour of mediocre newer songs. 360 was a real low for U2. At least the JT30 Tour guarantees a large chunk of the setlist will be genuinely great.

How was 360 a low? At least they were touring behind new music. They also dusted off UF and YBR. I was at a couple of those shows and they were outstanding. For someone who tracks U2 gigs you have some very odd and unfortunate perspectives.

Just like your buddy redhill, you are assuming intentions and outcomes based on knowing a small amount of the inputs.

Are they touring the Joshua Tree? Yes. Is this instead of working on SOE? Maybe? Who the fuck knows but them.

Would I prefer SOE? Yes. Would I prefer them tour TJT, play live songs never and rarely ever played before, and release songs on vinyl I want to own in that format than to disappear for another two years like before every other album. Fuck yes.

Why are you making the assumption that Bubble and I are buddies? We have never even communicated online. That makes you look foolish.

With that said, I do respect her stance and, as a long time fan, entirely understand it. Obviously there are going to be a lot of people who don't appreciate U2 going back on everything they once stood for.

Further, you're revealing how uninformed you truly are. The band has spoke in recent interviews about how this tour will impact work on SOE. Get up to speed on the facts before you make your blanket and ignorant dismissals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom