Larry's not on board...and Bono knows it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The aggressiveness of some people here is quite stunning.Is it just possible to pointout that some of us are desappointed at the band descision without being bullied like we are in a elementary school backyard?

You're the same person as you were in 92?

This lame and absurdly flawed logic keeps getting spewed because there is no actual logic to back up this tour as something other than what it really is.

Taking principled stands helped define this band. By your same logic, someone who said thirty years that they would never cheat on their wife...and then goes out and starts sleeping around...is suddenly justified in doing so because "they're not the same person anymore" and a lot of time has passed.

It's just nonsensical and flawed logic. Abandoning respectable principals and doing something that is against what you have stood for...for decades is not "OK" just because time has passed and you're "not the same person".

Please at least present a compelling argument using sensible logic.

Oh, right...you can't.

i'll go on record as saying that i greatly prefer a joshua tree tour over soe/part 2 of i+e. my girl is seeing her first u2 show knowing very little about the band and more songs she'll recognize over new ones she's never heard means she'll probably enjoy the show a lot more. i'm sure that's an minority opinion here but it works for me :shrug:

The aggressiveness of some people here is quite stunning.Is it just possible to pointout that some of us are desappointed at the band descision without being bullied like we are in a elementary school backyard?

Exactly.

Some of us are disappointed in this move. Bono has made a comment showing that he himself is, at the very least, conflicted about it. It clearly flies in the face of everything they have stood for.

Get over it, stop bullying other people who are disappointed, and grow the *F* up.

Axver, BVS, Dan Smee (and a few others)...I'm looking at you.

Why are you making the assumption that Bubble and I are buddies? We have never even communicated online. That makes you look foolish.

With that said, I do respect her stance and, as a long time fan, entirely understand it. Obviously there are going to be a lot of people who don't appreciate U2 going back on everything they once stood for.

Further, you're revealing how uninformed you truly are. The band has spoke in recent interviews about how this tour will impact work on SOE. Get up to speed on the facts before you make your blanket and ignorant dismissals.

What have they said about it impacting SOE?

Last we heard they were in the studio still working on it.

Exactly.

Some of us are disappointed in this move. Bono has made a comment showing that he himself is, at the very least, conflicted about it. It clearly flies in the face of everything they have stood for.

Get over it, stop bullying other people who are disappointed, and grow the *F* up.

Not one person has bullied you for being disappointed with the move, stop playing victim.

i'll go on record as saying that i greatly prefer a joshua tree tour over soe/part 2 of i+e. my girl is seeing her first u2 show knowing very little about the band and more songs she'll recognize over new ones she's never heard means she'll probably enjoy the show a lot more. i'm sure that's an minority opinion here but it works for me :shrug:

No, it seems to be the majority opinion here (for some reason).

I imagine that this tour will be a lot of fun for a casual fan who doesn't know what this band has represented themselves to be for decades.

I bet you'll have a blast and I sincerely hope you do!

As a long time fan, I'm disappointed and can't get behind them on this one. I really appreciate that you didn't instigate any personal attacks or try to push some bogus logic.

This lame and absurdly flawed logic keeps getting spewed because there is no actual logic to back up this tour as something other than what it really is.

Taking principled stands helped define this band. By your same logic, someone who said thirty years that they would never cheat on their wife...and then goes out and starts sleeping around...is suddenly justified in doing so because "they're not the same person anymore" and a lot of time has passed.

It's just nonsensical and flawed logic. Abandoning respectable principals and doing something that is against what you have stood for...for decades is not "OK" just because time has passed and you're "not the same person".

Please at least present a compelling argument using sensible logic.

Oh, right...you can't.

That was one shitty analogy.

Not one person has bullied you for being disappointed with the move, stop playing victim.

You don't appear to be very self aware...or perhaps just deceptive. You're one of the worst ones on this board in that regard.

Just let someone have their say without attacking them and perhaps you'll be able to have fruitful and productive conversations with others.

Unhumorous digs, personal attacks, blanket dismissals using flawed logic. These tactics don't push the dialog forward.

What have they said about it impacting SOE?

Last we heard they were in the studio still working on it.

Stop being lazy and do your own research for once. If you want to make authoritative statements at least seek some knowledge.

You don't appear to be very self aware...or perhaps just deceptive. You're one of the worst ones on this board in that regard.

Just let someone have their say without attacking them and perhaps you'll be able to have fruitful and productive conversations with others.

Unhumorous digs, personal attacks, blanket dismissals using flawed logic. These tactics don't push the dialog forward.

But not one of those posts were about you showing disappointment in this move, they were all regarding your ridiculous theory and arrogance.

Try that logic thing you keep talking about, you'll get much further in having adult conversations.

How is that staying away working out for you?

NO-ONE is questioning your disappointment. You constantly try and label me as ignorant, yet you repeatedly, belligerently, and ignorantly miss the point that people are making. The points being made are nothing to do with personal feelings about the tour, or even whether the band are going back on a stance they held 25 years ago in an interview - it is that you simply cannot draw the conclusions you have drawn form the evidence you have. It is just nonsensical and self-fulling to assume Larry's level of happiness form the 11 minute snippet of their lives you just saw. And to assume the reason for his surliness is beyond ridiculous.

No-one is saying whether or not you are right - you very well could be. What is being said, and ONLY what is being said is that your train of thought is tenuous at best, and the things you are calling facts and evidence are simply not that. They are your opinions and assumptions based on observations with no context.

Who is ignorant in this scenario?

Exactly.

I suppose some of use are being regarded as bad fans for being critical of them for a move in a period of their career.

Personneally i'm looking more forward to SOE and what they have up their sleeve than this rearviewmirror jukebox tour.

But i suppose it's a crime to humanity.....

How is that staying away working out for you?

NO-ONE is questioning your disappointment. You constantly try and label me as ignorant, yet you repeatedly, belligerently, and ignorantly miss the point that people are making. The points being made are nothing to do with personal feelings about the tour, or even whether the band are going back on a stance they held 25 years ago in an interview - it is that you simply cannot draw the conclusions you have drawn form the evidence you have. It is just nonsensical and self-fulling to assume Larry's level of happiness form the 11 minute snippet of their lives you just saw. And to assume the reason for his surliness is beyond ridiculous.

No-one is saying whether or not you are right - you very well could be. What is being said, and ONLY what is being said is that your train of thought is tenuous at best, and the things you are calling facts and evidence are simply not that. They are your opinions and assumptions based on observations with no context.

Who is ignorant in this scenario?

I had to step in when I saw that other fans were being bullied.

Again Dan, you're being omissive. I already stated that I understand that the video could be subjective (even though I still think that most body language experts would agree with my take).

After that, I made a list of a number of facts related to why I think this is a lame and inconsistent move for the band. Why do you keep ignoring them?

Last edited:
I suppose some of use are being regarded as bad fans for being critical of them for a move in a period of their career.

Personneally i'm looking more forward to SOE and what they have up their sleeve than this rearviewmirror jukebox tour.

Me too ;]

It's the band who have made this lame move and not the fans who have been following them all these years.

Try to distort it and play with semantics any way you want. Playing an entire, thirty year old album, is the very definition of being a jukebox.

The fans must like the move given the way the tour's sold like hotcakes.

And mate, you do realise the jukebox thing is a metaphor, not "the very definition" of the term, right?

Crap on all you want about "principled stands"; I doubt the band members even remember saying such a thing, don't care if they do, and have moved on with their lives. I doubt they give much of a shit that Red Hill of Interference, Esquire, is disappointed that they want to celebrate the most significant record in their history. Oh no! How dare they play songs to which they feel a strong connection! Such a grievous sin!

How was 360 a low? At least they were touring behind new music. They also dusted off UF and YBR. I was at a couple of those shows and they were outstanding. For someone who tracks U2 gigs you have some very odd and unfortunate perspectives.

360 was a tour with dreadful setlists (the final leg largely excepted), poorly suited to the staging, and gimmicks like the space station linkup and the masks made me wince. I still wouldn't have much liked the songs or order chosen if it had been an arena tour, but at least it would've made more sense. I saw nine of them, seven to which I committed before the tour began (the other two were when the band came through my city much later), and although I had fun there is no doubt in my mind it is the weakest U2 tour I have ever seen. And that is even with UF being played, which really shouldn't have been the shock it was, given it's on a bloody Best Of so it's not some rarity.

Mate, you're the one who drives points into the ground and prattles on at excruciating length. I'm just here because it's funny. Thanks for producing the latest classic thread for Interference folklore. You've already contributed a couple of chapters already so it was nice of you to pen a new one. This place had been a bit quiet lately.

I had to step in when I saw that other fans were being bullied.

You have a funny definition of bullied if you think disagreement is bullying.

Of course, you make it all too easy for us with the way you just dig in, even arguing with people who largely agree with you and acting mortally offended about everything.

Oh now you're playing victim too :rolleyes:

Oh now you're playing victim too :rolleyes:

No, it's true that these forums can be murky waters where some folks just want to attack you personally instead of having a rational discussion.

I think a few people came down really hard on this poster for stating their view (which was based on facts and things the band have said over the years).

No, it's true that these forums can be murky waters where some folks just want to attack you personally instead of having a rational discussion.

I think a few people came down really hard on this poster for stating their view (which was based on facts and things the band have said over the years).

Once again, you're just making shit up. No one attacked this poster after making a fact based post.

Crap on all you want about "principled stands"; I doubt the band members even remember saying such a thing, don't care if they do, and have moved on with their lives.

These stands they have taken are statements of intent to show who they are as a band...which is part of what has made them so special. Are you really saying now it's OK just to move on like they never happened? That they don't care what they stand for? I highly doubt the band has forgotten this. That's just absurd. Why else would Bono make the comment about "someone should call the cops" if this goes on for more than a summer?

Are you really suggesting that everything they have ever said about who they are as a band is now irrelevant? How do you even know if you like someone or some people if you don't even know what they're all about? You're not making any sense.

I'm just here because it's funny.

I guess so since you obviously don't care what the band does and doesn't stand for.

I guess I'll just "move on with my life" and forget what I stand for. At least Axver will get a kick out of it when he's done calling me names.

Last edited:
The band just came off a tour of playing 6-9 new songs a night too, so I'm not too sure why people are worried that they suddenly lack hipster cred for touring their landmark album (assuming they haven't already in whoever's mind). For me at the end of the day, it's just music and songs. It's not a peace agreement for the Middle East or something that warrants far more critical thinking. Axl Rose said he'd never speak or play with Slash again and then one day, he changed his mind. Stuff happens. You get older and decide to do whatever all of a sudden.

If they toured SOE, there'd be some people talking about how the album sucks or how they're not "Springsteen or Pearl Jam". Damned if you do and damned if you don't, just like it is on every other band's message board.

And that is even with UF being played, which really shouldn't have been the shock it was, given it's on a bloody Best Of so it's not some rarity.

Now I'm reminded of that discussion we had on what exactly constituted a "rarity"!

The band just came off a tour of playing 6-9 new songs a night too, so I'm not too sure why people are worried that they suddenly lack hipster cred for touring their landmark album (assuming they haven't already in whoever's mind). For me at the end of the day, it's just music and songs. It's not a peace agreement for the Middle East or something that warrants far more critical thinking. Axl Rose said he'd never speak or play with Slash again and then one day, he changed his mind. Stuff happens. You get older and decide to do whatever all of a sudden.

If they toured SOE, there'd be some people talking about how the album sucks or how they're not "Springsteen or Pearl Jam". Damned if you do and damned if you don't, just like it is on every other band's message board.

I appreciate the level-headed approach but I expect a little more from this band than "whatever all of sudden".

Last edited:
are we all sure that this isn't BMP's original username? it feels a bit like september 2016 FYM is leaking into the present.

You have a funny definition of bullied if you think disagreement is bullying.

Of course, you make it all too easy for us with the way you just dig in, even arguing with people who largely agree with you and acting mortally offended about everything.

When did I argue with someone who largely agreed with me? Do you have the post to quote or are you making stuff up now? I may have commented on their post or disagreed with them but that doesn't make it "arguing"...and I certainly didn't attack anyone personally who didn't do so first.

Also, on one hand you say that it's just simple disagreement (when it's more than that) and that it's not bullying...and then go on to say that I "make it all too easy" in regards to bullying.

So which is it?

For the record, that's called a "blame shift" and it was a failed attempt.

Also, how have I been "offended about everything"? I've had civil discourse with every single poster in this thread who offered it in return.

Further, I'm not taking some lofty outraged stand. I'm just asking them to stand for what they always said they did. Pretty simple.

You're spewing a whole lot of nonsense again.

Last edited:
Take your pick, which is worse ...

Holding the band to account for statements made many years ago.

or ...

Simply never believing those statements in the first place.

For a band that has been as principled as U2, I don't think it's unreasonable for their long time fans to expect the former rather than to give up and concede the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom