Larry's not on board...and Bono knows it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They only went halfway towards supporting the 20th Anniversary of Achtung Baby; 5 songs a night + 2 Zooropa songs (if those even really count, which is questionable) is nothing next to 11 JT songs a night.

Also largely helped by 360 going on for 3 years, not that digging up older material while chopping down new stuff was any more commendable than this silly tour.

And good luck with JT30 digging up the likes of YBR, Scarlet, TUF, Love rescue me, Ultraviolet.

tumblr_m8vlg9fdEL1qdtw7so4_250.gif

And good luck with JT30 digging up the likes of YBR, Scarlet, TUF, Love rescue me, Ultraviolet.

You're seriously suggesting tracks 6-11 of JT can't compare to (most of) these for live rarity? Come off it.

Also largely helped by 360 going on for 3 years, not that digging up older material while chopping down new stuff was any more commendable than this silly tour.

But it's going to "dig up" Red Hill Mining Town, One Tree Hill, In God's Country, Trip Through Your Wires, Exit, Mothers of the Disappeared and Running to Stand Still. I mean, how is THAT not enough rarely played songs?

But it's going to "dig up" Red Hill Mining Town, One Tree Hill, In God's Country, Trip Through Your Wires, Exit, Mothers of the Disappeared and Running to Stand Still. I mean, how is THAT not enough rarely played songs?

Please stop, you're making too much sense.

In other news:

25% of U2 hated doing a Q&A and decided while drinking to be a prick at an interview.

I wonder what the statistic is on %s of musicians in bands who don't enjoy doing Q&As?

Of corporate board members who are assholes on occasion?

Of..hell, the general population of mankind who hate doing interviews?

Maybe he just didn't want to do the goddamned Q&A but was outvoted?

Maybe he just did the 23rd take of whatever drum track he was laying down?

Maybe the coffee was cold by the time he got to the pot?

Maybe he was constipated?

Maybe he hates redhill and conspired to create drama to make him sit out the tour?

Maybe he got pissed because my friend was spamming the comment list with Pop songs? (True story ?)

1 in 4 members of U2 act like pricks sometimes. Oh my god.

Who was it that wrote that the "on board test" is if he shows up and drums every night? Give that individual the win, and lock this fucker.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Who lies more, Bono or redhill?

I said I wouldn't post in this thread again unless a few people started clowning me again. You were the first to troll and do so...

I think it will improve my experience to start putting egregious trolls on my ignore list - so welcome aboard!

Good riddance.

Hey, redhill. Pryck here. All I will say in regard to Larry is that he's a Scorpio. It comes with the territory. I say this because our birthdays are 5 days apart.

I need to be entertained by you. Please fatten up your profile.

I'm trying! Apparently I'm an utter wretch so it's awfully challenging.

So far I've been accused of thinking too hard, being a zealot, being too "important", having delusions of grandeur, thinking I'm the best fan, being assumptive, not thinking that other fans should have fun, having a psychiatric condition, being a liar, not allowing people to be adaptive, not having a sense of humor, being a bully, etc, etc.

And that's just off the top of my head!

To boot, after having all of that heaved on me, I was told I was playing the victim!

How do I even sleep at night?

So let's talk on this romanticized quote by Larry about not wanting to become the U2 jukebox.

So first... there are a few things wrong with the quote itself. There is insinuation that because Springsteen is joyous on stage, that it's not hard work - which could not be further from the truth. Nobody works harder on stage than Springsteen, the true heir to James Brown's stage presence. Hard work and joy aren't separate things in competition with each other.

Second, what exactly changed from this point on as far as U2 being the jukebox churning out hits? What did Larry's "Springsteen" quote really lead to?

Before this quote, U2 on your played songs from their last album mixed in with the hits, with static, unchanging setlists.

After this tour, U2 played songs from their latest album mixed in with the hits, with static, unchanging setlists.

They loosened up, sure. They added technology to amazing success, yes. But the basic setlist structure never changed. If one were to argue that U2 were turning into the U2 jukebox on your during Lovetown, then they certainly remained that for the rest of their careers... only with nicer bells and whistles.

They certainly didn't take any ques from Springsteen in their setlist designs. They focused more on the theatrical aspects as opposed to actually playing more of their catalog.

So this idea that they are now all of a sudden turning into the U2 jukebox Larry was afraid they were turning into on Lovetown is bullshit. They play the same setlist structure today as they did then - new album, the hits, ignore everything else.

If anything, they'll be playing more "rare" songs on this tour than any other tour they've done. They also are doing something that the inspiration for Larry's quote did last year (although I'm sure with much less setlist movement).

Also, Larry's what, 26-27 at that time? Tell us again about how your opinions in your 20s are the same as in your 50s.

But back to the quote... if nothing changed in setlist structure, what was his quote really about? Probably Larry not wanting to be the joyless, stoic assholes U2 could come off as in the 80s. Larry was afraid of it becoming just a job.

THAT is what his jukebox quote was about; THAT is what actually changed, and THAT has nothing to do with this tour.

You make some insightful points about the entire jukebox concept.

But to truly make a case against this tour running counter to...blah blah...you would have to dissect a lot more than just this.

You would also have to pick apart the "no reverse gears on this tank" comments and the multitude of comments about not wanting to become a "heritage act"...among others.

It's an uphill and impossible battle because it simply ain't so.

For those arguing that every change a person makes to their principles is completely acceptable simply because time has passed (a ridiculous notion at best)...here is some more recent media for you.

4:30 - 4:54

Does this sound like a man who's completely on board with all the politicking that's sure to take place on this tour?

You know it's interesting...body language and tone of voice communicate vastly more than words ever could. Since I was lampooned for reading body language, however, maybe some people would prefer words.

You make some insightful points about the entire jukebox concept.

But to truly make a case against this tour running counter to...blah blah...you would have to dissect a lot more than just this.

You would also have to pick apart the "no reverse gears on this tank" comments and the multitude of comments about not wanting to become a "heritage act"...among others.

It's an uphill and impossible battle because it simply ain't so.
So I hate the term "heritage act." I find it to be a bullshit term that's tossed around way too often.

You know who's a heritage act? Chicago. A band who hasn't given a turkey about new songs in decades, barely has any of the original members in the band anymore, but is on a never ending tour of every small venue in the country. THAT is a heritage act.

U2 hasn't stopped caring about putting out new music. They're just 3 years removed from the largest album release of all time, which, for better or worse, was an attempt to get new music into the hands of a new audience. They are still actively working on a new album. They have not given it all up, they're merely taking a brief detour.

You see it as a reverse gear. I don't. If anything I wish the band would be more cognizant of their back catalog in concert and play less hits and more rare cuts. Heck, there are been enough hits to rotate the set more often than they do and still only play hits.

I find bands that ignore their past to be sad, pompous and up their own ass. That said, I'd be annoyed if U2 ignored Songs of Innocence on this tour the way they've ignored Pop.

They should celebrate their entire catalog live while continuing to create and play new music. And if they tour every now and then BETWEEN albums, just to stay fresh and sharp and connected to the fans? We should be celebrating that, not bashing it.

If they had gone out and said that SOE is canceled, and that they've retired from new music and will focus on touring? Sure, heritage act. This is not that. If that's still not enough for you? Hey, that's cool. That's your opinion. Your entitled to it. I disagree.

So I hate the term "heritage act." I find it to be a bullshit term that's tossed around way too often.

You know who's a heritage act? Chicago. A band who hasn't given a turkey about new songs in decades, barely has any of the original members in the band anymore, but is on a never ending tour of every small venue in the country. THAT is a heritage act.

U2 hasn't stopped caring about putting out new music. They're just 3 years removed from the largest album release of all time, which, for better or worse, was an attempt to get new music into the hands of a new audience. They are still actively working on a new album. They have not given it all up, they're merely taking a brief detour.

You see it as a reverse gear. I don't. If anything I wish the band would be more cognizant of their back catalog in concert and play less hits and more rare cuts. Heck, there are been enough hits to rotate the set more often than they do and still only play hits.

I find bands that ignore their past to be sad, pompous and up their own ass. That said, I'd be annoyed if U2 ignored Songs of Innocence on this tour the way they've ignored Pop.

They should celebrate their entire catalog live while continuing to create and play new music. And if they tour every now and then BETWEEN albums, just to stay fresh and sharp and connected to the fans? We should be celebrating that, not bashing it.

If they had gone out and said that SOE is canceled, and that they've retired from new music and will focus on touring? Sure, heritage act. This is not that. If that's still not enough for you? Hey, that's cool. That's your opinion. Your entitled to it. I disagree.

For those arguing that every change a person makes to their principles is completely acceptable simply because time has passed (a ridiculous notion at best)...here is some more recent media for you.

4:30 - 4:54

Does this sound like a man who's completely on board with all the politicking that's sure to take place on this tour?

You know it's interesting...body language and tone of voice communicate vastly more than words ever could. Since I was lampooned for reading body language, however, maybe some people would prefer words.

that sounds and looks like a man who's making a joke.

that sounds and looks like a man who's making a joke.

There's a grain of truth in every joke.

Many believe, as the saying goes, “There is a grain of truth in every joke”, or that “a joke is truth wrapped in a smile.” Sigmund Freud suggested that jokes were true, serving two purposes: aggression (such as sarcasm) or to expose unconscious desires.

Further, it's well documented that Bono and Larry don't always see eye-to-eye when it comes to politics.

Deconstructing Larry: the creative tension behind U2 - Independent.ie

Therefore, it was all the more surprising to read Larry declaring that he believes former British Prime Minister Tony Blair should be tried as a war criminal over the Iraq invasion.

"Then I see him and Bono as pals, and I don't like that," he said. But according to Larry, Bono is well aware of the drummer's political views, which seem to be at the opposite end of the spectrum to his own.

And Larry went on to state how Bono is using his weight as a celebrity at great cost to himself and his family, to help other people.
"I don't think there's much of an upside to it for him, I don't think he chooses where he goes and who he meets. But as an outsider looking in, I cringe."

I must be reading into things too much again...

I'm going to take this a step further and say that I don't think Larry is completely on board with this tour musically / creatively, as a career move, or politically.

Many believe, as the saying goes, “There is a grain of truth in every joke”, or that “a joke is truth wrapped in a smile.” Sigmund Freud suggested that jokes were true, serving two purposes: aggression (such as sarcasm) or to expose unconscious desires.

Further, it's well documented that Bono and Larry don't always see eye-to-eye when it comes to politics.

Therefore, it was all the more surprising to read Larry declaring that he believes former British Prime Minister Tony Blair should be tried as a war criminal over the Iraq invasion.

"Then I see him and Bono as pals, and I don't like that," he said. But according to Larry, Bono is well aware of the drummer's political views, which seem to be at the opposite end of the spectrum to his own.

And Larry went on to state how Bono is using his weight as a celebrity at great cost to himself and his family, to help other people.
"I don't think there's much of an upside to it for him, I don't think he chooses where he goes and who he meets. But as an outsider looking in, I cringe."

yea, you are.

you're quoting stuff that Larry thinks Bono being pally pals with right wing politicians is a bad thing, while trying to make your point that Larry doesn't want any part of the politics that you assume this show will have.

those two things are contradictory to each other. if Larry didn't want Bono being chummy with the likes of Tony Blair and George W Bush, the logical response to that would be to assume that Larry WOULD be in favor of Bono trashing on Trump.

yea, you are.

you're quoting stuff that Larry thinks Bono being pally pals with right wing politicians is a bad thing, while trying to make your point that Larry doesn't want any part of the politics that you assume this show will have.

those two things are contradictory to each other. if Larry didn't want Bono being chummy with the likes of Tony Blair and George W Bush, the logical response to that would be to assume that Larry WOULD be in favor of Bono trashing on Trump.

The quote was to show that Bono and Larry are often at odds politically and that my guess is that they're likely in disagreement as to some aspect of this tour politically as well (in addition to being at odds in other areas as already mentioned).

I wouldn't read into it that much or be so assumptive as to guess at exactly what those disagreements are apart from suggesting that it has to do (based on what we've seen) with the potential blow-back in general from getting so politically involved (with the Trump discourse and this year's election).

Last edited:
The good news is that we just may find out as the tour progresses.

In that regard, I'm looking forward to it. For selfish reasons, after being a fan for decades, I would like to think (and early evidence strongly suggests this) that the man who started the band isn't entirely on board with this tour either.

That seems to be all you are doing lately.

Not really. Just picking up on some early cues about the band's mindset / dynamic going into the tour.

Is it reading into things too much to say that Larry and Bono are often at adds politically when we know that's a fact? I am curious to see where the disagreements lie moving forward in regards to this tour.

That tension is part of what makes the band so powerful. Four individuals.

I know I'm not making a whole lot of friends here but at least I'm being as honest as I can about what I see and think.

To say Larry is at the opposite end of the political spectrum as Bono is... well, wrong.

They are both almost of the charts left of centre - it's just that Bono wants to leverage the right to achieve progress, and Larry wants the right not to exist. Two very common approaches to change in people who are approaching the poles on the political spectrum.

To say that Larry is not progressive because he thinks a liberal politician should be charged with war crimes is an overly simplistic analysis of his views. It means he far out-flanks Blair to the left in his disdain for the Iraq war, its handling, its purpose, and ts heinousness.

I know I'm not making a whole lot of friends here but at least I'm being as honest as I can about what I see and think.

redhill, if I may offer a bit of counsel.

I know what it's like to come on here and feel like you're right and most others are wrong. Allow me to tell you my tale, based on the official version of events. My introduction to this site was around the time of the Achtung Baby reissue. I noted at the time it was announced that the press release and promotional materials made no mention of the record being "remastered", as was the case with all the previous reissues.

I came on Interference and casually mentioned my observation, thinking knowledgable fans here would have observed the same thing....and then all hell broke lose. People were insulted and enraged at the mere suggestion that U2 might not remaster AB. Among those who the record is their favourite, heads exploded. I was shocked and saddened to see all manner of vitriol was thrown my way. Nonetheless, I restated my opinion that apparently the record would not be remastered (based on the promotional materials), firmly and politely.

Of course, later I was humbled and gratified to have been proven right, when Edge, among others close to the band, confirmed the record would not be remastered. And indeed it was not. And in fairness a few other users (BVS comes to mind) came to the same conclusion early on.

The difference here is that while I remained polite, humble and civil in stating my position (as leading users and Hive members here can confirm and verify), you sadly have succumbed to vitriol and personal insults. Even when such is thrown your way, you must be the better person and rise above all that. But even with that, I'm distressed and disheartened to report that the incident sparked a feud, a war of words if you will, between myself and Gabriel (our own Gvox) that went on for far too long.

The other distinction is that I was arguing something that was ultimately knowable...either AB was remastered or it was not. U2 never said the record would be remastered, I assumed then that it wasn't, and that assumption was borne out to be correct. You're stating an opinion based on body language. Absent Larry or another member of the band getting involved in this discussion (and they tend to keep these things in the family), we likely will never know what Larry is thinking. You're arguing an opinion...and there are no winners in such an argument. There's nothing to "prove".

So my counsel is to let it go and move on.

Here endeth the lesson. So say we all.

Last edited:
I said I wouldn't post in this thread again unless a few people started clowning me again. You were the first to troll and do so...

I think it will improve my experience to start putting egregious trolls on my ignore list - so welcome aboard!

Good riddance.

What a shame, I'll miss you reading too much into my posts.

To say Larry is at the opposite end of the political spectrum as Bono is... well, wrong.

They are both almost of the charts left of centre - it's just that Bono wants to leverage the right to achieve progress, and Larry wants the right not to exist. Two very common approaches to change in people who are approaching the poles on the political spectrum.

To say that Larry is not progressive because he thinks a liberal politician should be charged with war crimes is an overly simplistic analysis of his views. It means he far out-flanks Blair to the left in his disdain for the Iraq war, its handling, its purpose, and ts heinousness.

I have to defer to your views in this area as I'm a political neophyte.

My main point is that I would be very interested to see what Larry's views are (about this tour on several fronts) as things progress. I think it's reasonable to suggest that Larry and Bono aren't on the exact same page.

I've also seen no sign so far that Larry has a positive view or take of this tour whatsoever. Although he often has the least to say in interviews, I do find it noteworthy that (to my knowledge) he's the only one who hasn't shared any of his individual thoughts about it in print.

Say what you will, but he didn't have much to add in the facebook q&a. I've already been lampooned for my assessment but I would hope that it's easy to agree on that point (at the very least).

I think this is a critical time for U2 in America...and their stance at this time and the ensuing tour could alter this countries views of the band significantly.

It already has mine.

redhill, if I may offer a bit of counsel.

I know what it's like to come on here and feel like you're right and most others are wrong. Allow me to tell you my tale, based on the official version of events. My introduction to this site was around the time of the Achtung Baby reissue. I noted at the time it was announced that the press release and promotional materials made no mention of the record being "remastered", as was the case with all the previous reissues.

I came on Interference and casually mentioned my observation, thinking knowledgable fans here would have observed the same thing....and then all hell broke lose. People were insulted and enraged at the mere suggestion that U2 might not remaster AB. Among those who the record is their favourite, heads exploded. I was shocked and saddened to see all manner of vitriol was thrown my way. Nonetheless, I restated my opinion that apparently the record would not be remastered (based on the promotional materials), firmly and politely.

Of course, later I was humbled and gratified to have been proven right, when Edge, among others close to the band, confirmed the record would not be remastered. And indeed it was not. And in fairness a few other users (BVS comes to mind) came to the same conclusion early on.

The difference here is that while I remained polite, humble and civil in stating my position (as leading users and Hive members here can confirm and verify), you sadly have succumbed to vitriol and personal insults. Even when such is thrown your way, you must be the better person and rise above all that. But even with that, I'm distressed and disheartened to report that the incident sparked a feud, a war of words if you will, between myself and Gabriel (our own Gvox) that went on for far too long.

The other distinction is that I was arguing something that was ultimately knowable...either AB was remastered or it was not. U2 never said the record would be remastered, I assumed then that it wasn't, and that assumption was borne out to be correct. You're stating an opinion based on body language. Absent Larry or another member of the band getting involved in this discussion (and they tend to keep these things in the family), we likely will never know what Larry is thinking. You're arguing an opinion...and there are no winners in such an argument. There's nothing to "prove".

So my counsel is to let it go and move on.

Here endeth the lesson. So say we all.

Is Nick66 Fisher?

I have to defer to your views in this area as I'm a political neophyte.

My main point is that I would be very interested to see what Larry's views are (about this tour on several fronts) as things progress. I think it's reasonable to suggest that Larry and Bono aren't on the exact same page.

I've also seen no sign so far that Larry has a positive view or take of this tour whatsoever. Although he often has the least to say in interviews, I do find it noteworthy that (to my knowledge) he's the only one who hasn't shared any of his individual thoughts about it in print.

Say what you will, but he didn't have much to add in the facebook q&a. I've already been lampooned for my assessment but I would hope that it's easy to agree on that point (at the very least).

I think this is a critical time for U2 in America...and their stance at this time and the ensuing tour could alter this countries views of the band significantly.

It already has mine.

I think herein lies the main point of contention - others don't feel it is reasonable to suggest they aren't on the same page from the evidence you have provided. I felt exactly the same about his level of interest from the Fallon appearance before the SOI delay. And he seems to have enjoyed it just fine.

I think the weirdest thing would have been if he did speak and was energetic. He plays the surly one so often, it's impossible to tell if it's a bit, or if it's serious. I actually watched this live and thought him pressing the buzzer to wrap up the others was the most playful thing he'd done since the R&H movie interviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom