Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There'll be nothing to ditch unless they make plans to come here.

New boxscores released for the remaining 4 shows in North America

Kansas City 39,593/39593 $4.2 million

New Orleans 34,536/34536 $3.8 million

Phoenix 42,814/42814 $4.1 million

San Diego 54,221/54221 $6.4 million

It's gonna be really close between u2 and Coldplay to be top grossing music act this year, Coldplay will do 59 shows this year compared to U2's 50 . But there both going to gross just over 300 million, probably only be a few million in it

Last edited:
New boxscores released for the remaining 4 shows in North America

Kansas City 39,593/39593 $4.2 million

New Orleans 34,536/34536 $3.8 million

Phoenix 42,814/42814 $4.1 million

San Diego 54,221/54221 $6.4 million

It's gonna be really close between u2 and Coldplay to be top grossing music act this year, Coldplay will do 59 shows this year compared to U2's 50 . But there both going to gross just over 300 million, probably only be a few million in it

So Phoenix really showed up for a Tuesday night show at a stadium on the opposite side of a sprawling metro area (the largest metro area in the nation, as defined by whomever says what a metro area is) that was only announced after a Los Angeles and San Diego show were announced, appearing to be the only shows in the area.

I know I grabbed LA tickets, as did many Phoenix fans, because I thought that was my only chance. When SD popped up, it was long enough since the LA/Rose Bowl show that I thought "OK...I really want to see this again. SD weekend it is!". Only to then have Glendale/Phoenix added without rumor or warning until well after SD had sold.

So, on a Tuesday of a week I was flying out to SD on Thursday for a Friday show, I took the 110 minute drive (as it turned out) from the east Valley to Glendale in rush hour after work to see the show, knowing I had a 6:30a wakeup for work the next day.

43,000 other Phoenicians, in the same boat, after being drawn to LA and San Diego shows (these trips are not uncommon for southwest residents for concerts), showed up. On a Tuesday. In Glendale.

Phoenix remains a strong U2 city. A weekend show might have drawn 55K+..

https://www.atu2.com/news/u2-lists-u2s-tour-video-screens.html

Great piece

I started from elevation so I didn't see popmart or zoo tv

I know the article is about the screens but Stage wise, shock value and wow factor will always be seeing the claw for the first time. Amazing structure. You could see the bloody tip over the top of the stadium :) I remember being on the bus from the airport to Dublin City center and going past croke park and seeing the top of the stage. I was thinking wow what the hell is in there.

I&e was amazing aswell and had many great moments but I don't think any top the start of streets on the Joshua tree tour 2017. When the screen comes on, wow wow wow. 2nd to the wow of the claw but very close. That screen was unreal.

Going back to the article, if I was basing it on screens it would be the Joshua tree screen at the top, stage wise the claw easily

https://www.atu2.com/news/u2-lists-u2s-tour-video-screens.html

Great piece

I started from elevation so I didn't see popmart or zoo tv

I know the article is about the screens but Stage wise, shock value and wow factor will always be seeing the claw for the first time. Amazing structure. You could see the bloody tip over the top of the stadium :) I remember being on the bus from the airport to Dublin City center and going past croke park and seeing the top of the stage. I was thinking wow what the hell is in there.

I&e was amazing aswell and had many great moments but I don't think any top the start of streets on the Joshua tree tour 2017. When the screen comes on, wow wow wow. 2nd to the wow of the claw but very close. That screen was unreal.

Going back to the article, if I was basing it on screens it would be the Joshua tree screen at the top, stage wise the claw easily
As much as the Vertigo tour holds a special place in my heart, to call Vertigo's screens better than JT30, 360 or PopMart is just silly.

As much as the Vertigo tour holds a special place in my heart, to call Vertigo's screens better than JT30, 360 or PopMart is just silly.

Agreed.

It is rather fun to flip backward through the stage/screens over the years.

Each one is special in its own way.

To be fair, he made the point that he was literally talking about just the screen, not the additional props/tech.

The point with Vertigo's "light curtain" was that the bulbs were individually programmable and retractable. I found it pretty damned cool at the time.

It does seem crazy to put it above Popmart's though. That thing was an absolute monster.

Personally I don't see the big deal about 360's screen. That show was all about the monstrosity of The Claw and the novelty of seeing them in the round.

To be fair, he made the point that he was literally talking about just the screen, not the additional props/tech.

The point with Vertigo's "light curtain" was that the bulbs were individually programmable and retractable. I found it pretty damned cool at the time.

It does seem crazy to put it above Popmart's though. That thing was an absolute monster.

Personally I don't see the big deal about 360's screen. That show was all about the monstrosity of The Claw and the novelty of seeing them in the round.
The Hoberman screen was fairly advanced in its own right.

i wish they utilized the screen more on 360. the thing was amazing. a shame it was only down for a handful of songs.

360 is a strange tour to me. i love it, and the 2011 shows were some of the best shows i've seen by U2.

but it left a little on the table, and i don't think they maximized the potential of the stage.

still, an incredible spectacle. i didn't get to see PopMart or ZooTV, so the Joshua Tree and 360 shows are the only times i've seen U2 in a stadium to date. while the JT screen was pretty bad ass, doesn't top the staging spectacle of 360 by any means.. not that they were even out to do that.

Not sure where to post this. Thought is a pretty awesome of Bono! 9:20 mark of the video.

Sounds to me he says 'Turn of F**** phones off!' Or is 'Take your F*** phones out!'

I want to say its TURN OFF. Which a major problem at shows.

Last edited:
I can't imagine Bono pulling the whole "turn that off" thing in 2017. You can't tell people to take out your phones for one song (Bad, create the starlight) and then bitch at them to put them down later.

I can't imagine Bono pulling the whole "turn that off" thing in 2017. You can't tell people to take out your phones for one song (Bad, create the starlight) and then bitch at them to put them down later.
Right, he likes to yell at people to put the phones away first, and THEN ask them to take it out to sign up for the One campaign.

I've been to Seattle and Santa Clara, and the number of people filming with cellphones was a bit annoying (GA). But now at the South America concerts it seems that EVERYBODY is filming. I'm a bit worried about my upcoming concerts.

I've been to Seattle and Santa Clara, and the number of people filming with cellphones was a bit annoying (GA). But now at the South America concerts it seems that EVERYBODY is filming. I'm a bit worried about my upcoming concerts.

Yeah I only put some of the South American footage on just to see what the crowd were like. There always wild. But it's just awash with mobile phones. Very poor.

I think its probably a bit annoying because usually you see the Mexico and SA shows much more lively and cell phone free than the US shows.

Sometime soon, people are gonna start bringing head mounts (like VR headsets) for their phones so they can record concerts and watch them through their screen, hands free!

I think I'm done with GA for this reason alone. Having your field of vision constantly interrupted by everybody's hand holding up a phone is very annoying. It was so bad at the Cleveland show that I ended up moving to the back of the floor area (plus I had to use the bathroom), and it was a much better experience back there. At the Indy show I had seats, and it was great. Maybe less energy than on the floor, but I could see everything, wasn't sore as fuck, and I was able to grab dinner before the concert and get there whenever the hell I felt like.

The only way I'll ever do GA is if they come to my city (Columbus), then I'll be able to line up early and get a rail spot.

I try to ignore it and accept it for what it is, except in Houston there was a group in blue tshirts who kept taking selfies whenever a casual recognisable song was played urgh.

Back
Top Bottom