Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion III - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > The Joshua Tree 2017 - Tour Central > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2017, 06:46 PM   #166
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:50 AM
Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion III

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
Six days? I could plan out six weeks. Queenstown for sure (never been there and shut it!)

Christchurch is cool as hell. I'll fly down and buy you a beer at Pomeroy's. Stay at Chester Street Backpackers and you can walk to damn near everything.

Don't go to Hobbiton.

Auckland is better than the rep it has.

I guess because Axver will knife me if I don't say it, Wellington is pretty fun. If nothing else (and we ignore my previous Hobbiton comment) Weta Workshop put on a great tour and Smaug at their airport is just too cool.

Going up north is incredible, but it takes too long for a six day trip. Cape Reinga and watching the Pacific Ocean and the Tasman Sea crash into each other is amazing. The walk to the lighthouse is a bitch, but you can trump Axver on something NZ related.

Otherwise happy to have a yarn and a drink at Auckland airport.

Also yeah, I know the guy. He's a bit of a prick.

I'm doing like 14 in Australia, 6 in NZ, and 1 in Singapore. Strongly considering spending 4 of 6 out in the southwest, hence Queenstown as a base of operations to try to some of the more remote locations.

Also no offense to NZ, but aside from knowing the name of like he 5-6 bigger cities and the names of them iconic nature, don't really know what Hobbiton is. Sounds like a LOTR gimmick theme park. But I like LOTR. Is Franz Josef glacier all it's made out to be? How about Milford Sound?

I fully accept that my time in NZ isn't enough, but this is my first time in the Southern Hemisphere and the first time east of Europe / west of California. It's a taster session! Thanks for the input.

LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:17 PM   #167
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:50 AM
So is 8:20 PM local the start time for Europe?

GopherMacPhisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:24 PM   #168
War Child

Local Time: 08:50 AM
Does anybody know why Adam sits down to play the bass during Red Hill Mining Town?

If you happen to notice he has sat down every time during the live performance of the song since the tour started.

My best guess is because of the screen show of the trumpeters and the angle of direction of the band guiding the trumpeters through the song, especially towards the end when the left portion of the screen switches when the band and the trumpeters face each other, this is when Bono is also singing at an inclined angle.

Just a wild guess! Any thoughts of why Adam sits down?
Dfit00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:59 AM   #169
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:50 PM
Maybe his legs are hurting him :-)
rennowba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:40 AM   #170
War Child

Local Time: 01:50 PM
Looks like Berlin show had some segregation on the field, the same way that the Dublin show has been marketed and sold on ticketmaster? Just wondering if the Berlin show was sold like this or have any other shows ended up like this?

https://twitter.com/atu2/
macawaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:44 AM   #171
War Child

Better shot of it here, looks like the same setup that'll be used for Croker

https://twitter.com/u2start
Old 07-13-2017, 05:57 AM   #172
War Child

Local Time: 02:50 PM
Yeah they always have the area closest to the stage fenced off here too. But that is always either first come first serve or premium ticket, not down to luck. It think it's a security measure after what happened at Roskilde festival in 2000 at the Pearl Jam concert there.
Martinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:49 AM   #173
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinski View Post
Yeah they always have the area closest to the stage fenced off here too. But that is always either first come first serve or premium ticket, not down to luck. It think it's a security measure after what happened at Roskilde festival in 2000 at the Pearl Jam concert there.
In the case of Croke Park, I think it also has to do with the fact that the GAA pitch in Croke is so much bigger than a normal football stadium pitch, and hence you can probably get a lot more people into GA at Croke, and with that probably comes some sort of Health & Safety requirement to formally split the pitch. The big wide pitch is also part of the reason why Croke is rubbish acoustically for concerts!
Old 07-13-2017, 10:13 AM   #174
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
I'm doing like 14 in Australia, 6 in NZ, and 1 in Singapore. Strongly considering spending 4 of 6 out in the southwest, hence Queenstown as a base of operations to try to some of the more remote locations.

Also no offense to NZ, but aside from knowing the name of like he 5-6 bigger cities and the names of them iconic nature, don't really know what Hobbiton is. Sounds like a LOTR gimmick theme park. But I like LOTR. Is Franz Josef glacier all it's made out to be? How about Milford Sound?

I fully accept that my time in NZ isn't enough, but this is my first time in the Southern Hemisphere and the first time east of Europe / west of California. It's a taster session! Thanks for the input.

Hobbiton is what it says on the tin—a "town" built near Matamata for filming LOTR, which has been retained as an attraction. I've never been.

If you want to do the fjords, Te Anau is a superior base than Queenstown. And if you want pretty lakes, Wanaka is one of the most beautiful towns in the world; it developed as a holiday destination a little later than Queenstown and learnt from it, avoiding the same mistakes so that it doesn't feel touristy. But Queenstown still has plenty to recommend it.

The glaciers on the West Coast are great too, and I have a special affection for the drive from Wanaka to the glaciers via Haast Pass (the only route coming from the south). But he warned it's not nicknamed the Wet Coast for nothing.

As for the main cities, Wellington and Dunedin are the highlights. Wellington is the cultural capital of NZ as well as the political one, and Dunedin has a distinctive Scottish character. Auckland is pretty but a bit of a mess, and Christchurch is not only still recovering from the earthquakes but for a long time had been notoriously staid and conservative.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:38 PM   #175
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
I hate it when people ask if I know someone from New Zealand as though the country is 45 feet wide.

I don't get shitty and sarcastic when I'm asked, because I just know one day it'll go like this:

"Oh Ian, do you know this fellow from Queenstown?"

"No I've never been there. Fuck off we're not that small"

"Yeah but have you ever met him?" *holds up Facebook profile of the person*

"Fuck I went to school with him"

Did you know this person?

Jet blast in Sint Maarten‬ at Princess Juliana International Airport‬ in ‪Caribbean kills tourist on ‪Maho Beach - CBS News

Quote:
PHILIPSBURG, St. Maarten -- A New Zealand tourist has been killed by the blast from a jetliner taking off at a seaside airport in the Dutch Caribbean territory of St. Maarten, officials said Thursday
DRay9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:47 PM   #176
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:50 PM
I'm kind of surprised it wasn't Ian.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:12 PM   #177
War Child

Local Time: 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennowba View Post
Maybe his legs are hurting him :-)
Hes not a young guy anymore. Probably hurting arms and legs.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:13 PM   #178
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm kind of surprised it wasn't the sheep
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:38 PM   #179
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFox View Post
Hes not a young guy anymore. Probably hurting arms and legs.
Yeah but how come in all of the other songs he's standing when he plays the bass?

This is not a valid reason, the poor guy wants to rest his ass during this song in particular, but why is he sitting down every time?
Dfit00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:55 PM   #180
Blue Crack Distributor

Cause when they were rehearsing it he did it and decided it looked good. Who cares.

Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote