Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But seriously, why the fuck they don't do an Irish tour is beyond me. They could play around the country and have no trouble selling out. It's absolute madness that they haven't played outside Dublin or Belfast since 1987. And then there's the rest of Europe, especially the very devoted fanbase in southern Europe. U2's obsession with America is really extreme at times.

Ireland is 32,000 sq. miles.

The USA? 3.7 million sq. miles.

That might be a big reason.

Ireland is 32,000 sq. miles.

The USA? 3.7 million sq. miles.

That might be a big reason.

Not my point though. Ability to sell out shows is what matters. They could book a whole bunch of dates in Dublin, Belfast, Galway, Cork, Kilkenny, probably other places too, and of course they'd sell out. Remember that thing on Vertigo where somebody senior in the band's management, I forget who, remarked that they could've sold out an entire fortnight at Croke Park? Nothing's different now. People flock to Ireland to see U2 and you'd think the country's tourist board would be trying to twist their arm into more gigs.

But given the band seem more interested in playing secondary US markets that don't always sell out, rather than banking heaps of cash with European gigs where tickets will be gone in a flash - I have no idea what goes through their minds when booking tours.

Not my point though. Ability to sell out shows is what matters. They could book a whole bunch of dates in Dublin, Belfast, Galway, Cork, Kilkenny, probably other places too, and of course they'd sell out. Remember that thing on Vertigo where somebody senior in the band's management, I forget who, remarked that they could've sold out an entire fortnight at Croke Park? Nothing's different now. People flock to Ireland to see U2 and you'd think the country's tourist board would be trying to twist their arm into more gigs.

But given the band seem more interested in playing secondary US markets that don't always sell out, rather than banking heaps of cash with European gigs where tickets will be gone in a flash - I have no idea what goes through their minds when booking tours.

Couldn't agree more!

Seems that banking heaps of cash is not the goal... But playing for huge heaps of fans also doesn't seem the goal. there are so many more U2 fans in other areas!...
They could sell out a week in Dublin and to teh Irish tour you mention, they could sell out a week in Amsterdam, and include 5 more Dutch cities! And what about Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway...Croatia, Portugal...
Instead they choose to oversaturate the US market...? Don't get me wrong I am very happy for every US fan who can see this great band

May this oversaturation of the US-market be a sign that the I&E-tour will not come back to the Americas? (in that way I hope for the best for Australia...the rumors for stadiums down under may be a sign that also they will not get I&E...). And may the underplaying of Europe mean that they will get a second I&E-leg?

They almost always have overplayed the US and underplayed Europe... only guessing why the band decides to do this... Really curious, and wonder if any interviewer ever asked this to one of the band members?

I would have to imagine that insurance rates in Europe right now are sky high.. might have something to do with it. But generally I just think U2 have always had a hard on for the US.

They sure don't have a problem bringing fans over to the U.S. for these shows either. Like usual, I heard a good amount of accents and home countries mentioned these past few days.

I would have to imagine that insurance rates in Europe right now are sky high.. might have something to do with it.

Pretty sure insurance premiums were far worse in October-December 2001 and that didn't stop them touring North America. And I wonder how high the premiums were in Sarajevo 1997, Belfast any time before the peace accords, or the return to Paris in 2015? Also, bad call mate.

They sure don't have a problem bringing fans over to the U.S. for these shows either. Like usual, I heard a good amount of accents and home countries mentioned these past few days.

Same is true at European shows, and I noticed a lot of North Americans and Europeans taking an Australian holiday in 2006 and 2010. Honestly, it seems any leg of a U2 tour attracts quite a decent contingent of intercontinental travellers. But Dublin is probably the most ridiculous. In 2009 it was bloody hard to find a local!

Pretty sure insurance premiums were far worse in October-December 2001 and that didn't stop them touring North America. And I wonder how high the premiums were in Sarajevo 1997, Belfast any time before the peace accords, or the return to Paris in 2015? Also, bad call mate.

Same is true at European shows, and I noticed a lot of North Americans and Europeans taking an Australian holiday in 2006 and 2010. Honestly, it seems any leg of a U2 tour attracts quite a decent contingent of intercontinental travellers. But Dublin is probably the most ridiculous. In 2009 it was bloody hard to find a local!
The 2001 shows were already booked, and Sarajevo was a one off show.

I'm not saying it's why, just saying it might be a slight factor in quantity of shows.

I can easily believe that! I've heard it a few times in the past too, but it seems like quite a few people I talked to this weekend also mentioned going to a Dublin show as being a "bucket list" item for them. When ticket demand might be high enough, maybe going to Europe elsewhere or Australia can be the next best thing? Wouldn't hurt as being part of an overall vacation plan either htough!

My personal favorite experience with a non-American(?) came at the Minneapolis show in 2011. Talked to this nice fellow from St. Petersburg, Russia who was here with his girlfriend, and somehow we got talking about places I could visit in Europe if I ever go there. I started rattling off Italian cities at one point and learned a few things: among them, Venice is kind of overrated and stay the heck away from Naples (his exact quote was an emphatic "No!! No!! Stay away from Naples!!!". :lol:

Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion II

And nothing for Australia or NZ..... We better get SOE INDOORS

I did kinda wanna see JT...

Last edited:
hmmmm.... So the tour wraps in October. While I'm a bit dissapointed with the extension, still hoping for a single to be released in July/August and then another released in October with SOE hitting in Nov/Dec.

crawling back in my hole now.

No to indoors. And SOE to be fair. I want this current tour.

Ooooooo. After seeing IE indoors (in the US) gotta say being so close is really cool. I only did 360 in the seats though... so maybe hard to compare. However, I would have liked to see JT as well though. Never know if they have booked Perth in Nov we may still end up getting it.

Congrats to the cities that got shows

This gives me an excuse to go to San Diego

Good on you, U2! I was just thinking the US was pretty deprived this tour. :up:

No Atlanta, noooooo.

Also surprised bit to see multiple nights in Mexico City.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom