Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess if they announce more JT dates on Tuesday, especially more US dates, we'll more or less have our answer about SOE in 2017.

I'm firmly in the 2018 camp already, but this will confirm it. And money will reign supreme.

Nobody wants to get their hopes up that SOE could come out this year

For kicks I looked at the Sep/Oct Arizona and Denver NFL schedules.

Even factoring in nostalgia, can't see them going back to Sun Devil Stadium. It's still over 100 that time of year.

Cardinals
09/10 - away
09/17 - away
09/25 - home
10/01 - home
10/08 - away
10/15 - home
10/22 - home

Broncos
09/11 - home
09/17 - home
09/24 - away
10/01 - home
10/08 - (bye)
10/15 - home
10/22 - away
10/30 - away

RUMOR: U2 to extend Joshua Tree 2017 tour with more North & South America dates

September 3 - Detroit at Ford Field
September 5 - Buffalo at New Era Field
September 8 - Minneapolis at US Bank Stadium
September 10 - Indianapolis at Lucas Oil Stadium
September 12 - Kansas City at Arrowhead Stadium
September 14 - New Orleans at Mercedes Benz Superdome
September 16 - St. Louis at Dome at America's Center
September 18 - Atlanta at Georgia State Stadium
September 22 - San Diego at Qualcomm Stadium

October 3 & 4 - Mexico City at TBD (either Foro Sol or Azteca)

October 7 - Bogota, Colombia at Estadio El Campin
October 10 & 11 - Buenos Aires, Argentina at La Plata
October 14 - Santiago, Chile at Estadio Nacional
October 19, 21 & 22 - Sao Paulo, Brazil at Morumbi Stadium

That's a lot of shows scheduled for every 2 days in different locations. I'm not holding my breath on this one.

I can definitely see Detroit, Minneapolis, Atlanta and St. Louis getting shows, not sure about the rest. Surprised there's a chance they could skip Montréal.

They would still have a month off between the end of the European leg (August 1st) and the beginning of the next rumored leg (September 3rd).

Let's suppose Bono really was adamant about personally wanting SOE out this year as he claimed in the RS interview: what if he agreed to do the additional JT dates on the condition that they use the downtime to finish the album once and for all? It's not like they need a full month of the whole band's participation anyway at this point; if they have 15 songs that need to be trimmed down to 12, it doesn't sound like there's much actual recording left.

Conveniently, the rumored SA leg ends on Oct 22, which could allow the band to make a big announcement at the final show and drop the album in time for the Thanksgiving rush; The Bomb came out on Nov 17, 2004 so it's not exactly too late.

Also, remember that the JT tour still needs to be filmed for posterity. It would seem odd for them not to do it in the United States and that second leg here would give them the opportunity to shoot in New Orleans (a city Edge loves), Atlanta, or in the heartland of Kansas City.

Last edited:
If this ends up being true, then that somewhat confirms that the Experience & Innocence Tour will not come to the US in 2018. They'll have pretty much bled the US market dry.

Meh, we'll see what comes of this. That list of cities is strange. If this ends up being true, then I am obligated to go to the Indianapolis show, since it's a 2 hour drive from my house.

They would still have a month off between the end of the European leg (August 1st) and the beginning of the next rumored leg (September 3rd).

Nah, August is south of France vacation. But then I also think the album is done apart from Edge tinkerings.

I was fully expecting an extension of JT and it would make sense to hit a few more US markets before heading to SA. I don't think we'll see SOE before spring 2018.

2 shows in Missouri...MISSOURI!...and nothing in Glendale/Denver.

Whatevs

If this ends up being true, then that somewhat confirms that the Experience & Innocence Tour will not come to the US in 2018. They'll have pretty much bled the US market dry.

I almost wouldn't mind that if they hit some other areas of the world that haven't seen them for years first of all (Australia, etc.). Yet again, if they're going to Latin America with this show, I'm not sure what'll happen if they do play some of these other markets on this leg.

Meh, we'll see what comes of this. That list of cities is strange. If this ends up being true, then I am obligated to go to the Indianapolis show, since it's a 2 hour drive from my house.
Wasn't that sort of assumed anyways? Even with a late 2017 album release they wouldn't tour again until 2018.

More US dates??? Already double the number of shows us Europeans are getting, and maybe more.....plus parts of the world they haven't visited in a long time

Nah, August is south of France vacation. But then I also think the album is done apart from Edge tinkerings.

He can certainly tinker from his house. Most of these tracks have likely been mixed already too. Once he signs off it just needs to be mastered and he wouldn't be there for that anyway.

Edit: Just saw the rumor that the album is to be released on December 1st. WHO THE FUCK KNOWS?!?!

I am done speculating. Bring it on. If these dates are right, I guess I'm going to Indianapolis in September is all I know, in addition to Cleveland on July 1st. Nothing wrong with that!

Last edited:
Yeah I don't buy that schedule.

Agreed, the dates, the cities... it just looks made up.

Indianapolis, Buffalo, New Orleans, Kansas City and St. Louis ALL getting stadium shows? Denver, Salt Lake City (easy sell out because the stadium is relatively small), Phoenix, Vegas, Montreal, Edmonton, Winnipeg getting none?

I'll believe it when I see it officially announced.

I can definitely see Detroit, Minneapolis, Atlanta and St. Louis getting shows, not sure about the rest. Surprised there's a chance they could skip Montréal.

Olympic stadium is a dump,no one wants to attend a rock concert in a giant bowl of echos.

And i'm more than happy to wait in 2019 to have SOE at the Bell Center.

Last edited:
From the few clips i've seen of Chicago 1, Has this been Bono's best show vocally so far? He sounded incredible last night

Yes and yes (for many songs, IMO). I imagine Houston may have had better vocals for some songs (Exit, for example) but overall he was really on.

Wasn't there a strong performance in Chicago on the Vertigo tour as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom