Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL...coming from the guy who just whinged about Bono jabbering too much at his own show.

I'd take 26 songs and the jabbering over 21 songs and pretty much saying nothing.

26 songs would be better than the 22 they usually play but it would be very surprising if they did that. Complaining about the set length is like complaining about Bono talking or U2 being political. All of these are standard for U2, and I don't see much difference between 21 and 23 songs as long as the set was good. I'd take a 21 or 22 song JT show over 23 Vertigo or 360 songs.

giphy.gif

latest

tenor.gif

Bubble Bursting Time: here are the average show lengths of U2 tours going back 34 years.

1983: 18
TUF: 18
TJT: 20
Lovetown: 19
Zoo TV: 22
Popmart: 23 (incl. Daydream Believer)
Elevation: 21
Vertigo: 23
360: 23
I&E: 25
TJT: 22

The current show is, on average, longer than the original Joshua Tree tour, Lovetown, and Elevation and is the same length as Zoo TV, but that one had two covers and this one has none. Popmart had a cover. In terms of original material played, this is their fourth longest set, and they're playing longer now than they did in the 80s when they were younger and stronger.

There's really nothing to complain about.

:up::up::up::up: After those above examples, to make any more complain is questionable.

:up::up::up::up: Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
Bubble Bursting Time: here are the average show lengths of U2 tours going back 34 years.

1983: 18
TUF: 18
TJT: 20
Lovetown: 19
Zoo TV: 22
Popmart: 23 (incl. Daydream Believer)
Elevation: 21
Vertigo: 23
360: 23
I&E: 25
TJT: 22

The current show is, on average, longer than the original Joshua Tree tour, Lovetown, and Elevation and is the same length as Zoo TV, but that one had two covers and this one has none. Popmart had a cover. In terms of original material played, this is their fourth longest set, and they're playing longer now than they did in the 80s when they were younger and stronger.

There's really nothing to complain about..

Brilliant post. Thanks.

Argument over. The setlist length is normal. Thanks for going 538 on us and putting our minds at ease.

This is also 21-22 songs without any "short songs" (think MLK / Scarlet on 360, Zooropa on IE)

There should be no "argument". That some people would like the set list to be longer (like the last tour) is not something that's up for debate. It's an opinion.

If someone says they think the set list is "short", it's not an argument. It's an o-p-i-n-i-o-n. And if they think it happens to be short in comparison to the last tour, they'd be right.

On the other hand, if someone here said this was U2's shortest set ever, or that it was considerably shorter than all their other tours, then that person would be wrong. But I didn't see anyone do that.

Crikey, the extent that people here get worked up about opinions they don't like is pretty startling (well, not startling. but still). The only people "arguing" were those who can't tolerate the opinions of others.

In any event, since no one said this was U2's shortest set ever, or shorter than most of their other tours (that I'm aware of) I don't see what the "argument" is.

Last edited:
There should be no "argument". That some people would like the set list to be longer (like the last tour) is not something that's up for debate. It's an opinion.

If someone says they think the set list is "short", it's not an argument. It's an o-p-i-n-i-o-n.

I am referring only to the conversation of whether or not the shows are shorter than previous tours, I do not mean to include opinions on whether or not the shows should be longer.

My vote:

The setlist was fine. I would love a couple more songs of course. I&E tour was a band not sure if their new stuff was relevant wanting it to be, so they designed a total show around it and played most of it...but they weren't sure anyone cared, so they played a lot of hits around it. Thus the sudden uptick of numbers. If they were more confident in the album being desired by the fans, we would have had the standard 22 songs and 4 "hits' would have disappeared. They felt SOI was a theme that needed its own show, so they didn't drop songs like they did on 360, but they were afraid to not give the crowd what they wanted. They just did both.

Maybe the same will happen in SOE. We'd all be happy, because we would get 25 songs again. But given that I&E tour was just like 2 years ago, I doubt any "health issues" are the reason for the reduction, especially noting the numbers presented.

Well, it's shorter than some tours, longer than others. It's probably about average.

It's shorter than the last tour. And the trend since the 80's has generally been upwards in terms of set list length (with a couple exceptions). I think most of us agree we'd like it to be longer. Even if we realise, that yes, it's roughly "normal" as far as set lists go.

This is silly, but I'm not surprised. Cause ?

Why is this even a debate?

https://youtu.be/-uMFxNCQrG8

That was the 30th song of the night​, 3 hours and 40 minutes into the show. And he played 3 more songs after it.

And he's 67.

He's a freak or nature. Trying to say anyone other than the late James Brown is close to him is a silly silly thing.

One of the two songs where he ventures into the crowd (with Hungry Heart) ? I know...I attended this tour.*

As I said...the length of his shows is admirable. What are you arguing about ? :shrug: I consider Bono, Jagger and Dave Gahan better frontmen, is all.

*stadium show. I stand corrected if this happens more in arena shows.

Of course the setlist isn't perfect. I'd wager every one of us would have a different idea of an ideal setlist. That said, complain away about them dropping A Sort of Homecoming. It sounded great, and even the LA crowd was into it.

I will be hoping it returns tonight.

That said, setlist length is fine. They aren't Pearl Jam with 35 song setlists, but they never were. I/E was the exception because they didn't have an opener.

My vote:

I&E tour they designed a total show around it and played most of it...but they weren't sure anyone cared, so they played a lot of hits around it. Thus the sudden uptick of numbers.

And guys don't forget, I+E had no opening bands. Is having no Mumford and Sons, Lumineers or OneRepublic worth 2 or 3 U2 songs for you? Opinions may vary. But its not clear cut.

And guys don't forget, I+E had no opening bands. Is having no Mumford and Sons, Lumineers or OneRepublic worth 2 or 3 U2 songs for you? Opinions may vary. But its not clear cut.

Very good point. Now, I know the answer from most in here, but this tour was not a hardcore fan tour. This tour gives to both the hardcore and casual fan.

If someone says they think the set list is "short", it's not an argument. It's an o-p-i-n-i-o-n. And if they think it happens to be short in comparison to the last tour, they'd be right.

On the other hand, if someone here said this was U2's shortest set ever, or that it was considerably shorter than all their other tours, then that person would be wrong. But I didn't see anyone do that.

It would be more accurate to say that I&E was unusually long than that JT is short because this tour is normal whereas the last one wasn't and there was no reason to believe it would start a trend.

Crikey, the extent that people here get worked up about opinions they don't like is pretty startling (well, not startling. but still). The only people "arguing" were those who can't tolerate the opinions of others.

In any event, since no one said this was U2's shortest set ever, or shorter than most of their other tours (that I'm aware of) I don't see what the "argument" is.

Saying the set is an opinion that can be proven or disproven by statistics. And no, I can't tolerate opinions that ignore evidence that disproves them. It's a pet peeve.

Saying that it's short implies that it's unusual when it is not. Exclude the I&E outlier and since Zoo TV they have one 21 song tour and two 22 & 23 song tours.

It would be more accurate to say that I&E was unusually long than that JT is short because JT is within the average. I&E was 2.3 songs longer.

Last edited:
This tour has got a troubling sense of laziness to it so far. It's almost as if they are pacing themselves, playing it ultra safe and not wanting to give it everything on a sold out stadium tour.

Honestly I think we should start accepting the fact that we aren't going to be getting any shows longer than 22/23 songs during this tour. They've settled in nicely to their routine of songs all of which, they have been rehearsing.

It does still baffle me why they keep changing up the set list for the worse. Each show I am expecting them to rip into something different and give us a surprise but no, they go with cutting songs out!

The most realistic thing we can hope for is that they bring back ASOH, anything else at this stage is just unrealistic, as sad as it is to say.

All we know is that there will likely be changes when they get to Europe. Maybe they will give ASOH another chance there.

Hopefully not just in Dublin.

Having Noel Gallagher support in London and Dublin is a dream pairing for me so 21/22 plus maybe 10-12 Noel/oasis songs is perfect. U2 and oasis are my two favourite bands.

this tour was not a hardcore fan tour

Not so sure about that.

Hardcore fans get:

-ASOH (for a while)
-Running to Stand Still
-Red Hill Mining Town
-In God's Country
-Trip Through Your Wires
-One Tree Hill
-Exit
-Mothers of the Disappeared
-Miss Sarajevo
-Ultraviolet
-A previously unreleased song

Casual fans get:

-Many of the same songs that have been played every single night since 2000, with none of the usual Rattle and Hum or HTDAAB hits, and only One from Achtung Baby

I'm not sure why a casual fan would buy tickets to this tour in particular, considering they could have heard Streets, ISHFWILF and WOWY at any tour ever. If anything, I feel like there are fewer hits being played than usual. There's what, 9 well known hits out of 21-22 songs? I would argue I+E hit a dozen on some nights. The second time I saw them on that tour, they played:

-Vertigo
-I Will Follow
-Sunday Bloody Sunday
-EBTTRT
-Mysterious Ways
-Elevation
-Stuck in a Moment
-Pride
-Beautiful Day
-With or Without You
-Streets
-ISHFWILF

Now that's a casual setlist.

Last edited:
Watch the Lumineers support their forgettable second album that nobody heard, or get an extra twenty minutes of U2

Man, I dunno, this is tough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom