Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The ever expanding set list times are a product, in some respect, of Springsteen, and a product of increasing ticket prices.

Used to be, in the heyday, an hour and 10 minutes was pretty standard. If you got 90 minutes from bands, wow.

Now, we expect 2+ hour setlists. And rightfully so with the price we are paying.

Wha? You were getting ripped off ;)

I'm old and have been going to shows since the early 80's, and I can count on one hand the number of headliners I've seen do less than 90 minutes, from everything to stadiums to clubs. Even a few of those were only because of age (BB King couldn't do much more than an hour in his 80's).

I sort of hope it is some health problem, or to save Bono's voice, whatever. Because the alternative sucks.

I'd say 'some health problem' would be worse than whatever alternative you're thinking of, but that's just me.

Bubble Bursting Time: here are the average show lengths of U2 tours going back 34 years.

1983: 18
TUF: 18
TJT: 20
Lovetown: 19
Zoo TV: 22
Popmart: 23 (incl. Daydream Believer)
Elevation: 21
Vertigo: 23
360: 23
I&E: 25
TJT: 22

The current show is, on average, longer than the original Joshua Tree tour, Lovetown, and Elevation and is the same length as Zoo TV, but that one had two covers and this one has none. Popmart had a cover. In terms of original material played, this is their fourth longest set, and they're playing longer now than they did in the 80s when they were younger and stronger.

There's really nothing to complain about.

This offers useful perspective.

That said, in the midnight hour, we cry more, more, more...more, more, more.

I'd say 'some health problem' would be worse than whatever alternative you're thinking of, but that's just me.

Obviously I mean that if they're playing a shorter set list than the last tour because of health reasons, its completely understandable. If they're just doing it b/c their heart isn't in the tour, it's not (given the prices they're charging for those tickets).

Last edited:
It's really not that much shorter than other tours, not worth the fuss.

It's a bit of an oddball tour; I don't care if it's one or two songs shorter than the last tour.

(Dropping ASOH, however? Totally worth the fuss.)

It's a bit of an oddball tour; I don't care if it's one or two songs shorter than the last tour.

As a long time fan, that song easily meant the most...

x3.

Though I can't say I'm thrilled with the arrangement they've been doing of the song (and the truncated lyrics), it would still be nice to see it live.

I believe U2 just doesn't think some of these songs work live, including I'm convinced ASOH. The difference between ASOH and TJT songs is that they have to play the latter, they're sorta committed to that. But they could drop ASOH, and did, and didn't even replace it with anything.

Hopefully I'm wrong and these two nights are an aberration, and it works its way back into the set list. Because if they don't play it this tour, I don't think they ever will.

Last edited:
Bono probably noticed some little girls in the front row who didn't seem to know ASOH. Maybe they just kind of nodded along politely until the next song, Pride, which they did know. Since Bono's favorite thing is little girls, he decided it should probably not be played again, to prevent them from any more boredom.

Bono probably noticed some little girls in the front row who didn't seem to know ASOH. Maybe they just kind of nodded along politely until the next song, Pride, which they did know. Since Bono's favorite thing is little girls, he decided it should probably not be played again, to prevent them from any more boredom.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/10/25/article-0-023AEE25000005DC-906_468x358.jpg

Maybe we shouldn't talk about Bono and little girls...

J/K

Last edited:
The ever expanding set list times are a product, in some respect, of Springsteen, and a product of increasing ticket prices.

Used to be, in the heyday, an hour and 10 minutes was pretty standard. If you got 90 minutes from bands, wow.

Now, we expect 2+ hour setlists. And rightfully so with the price we are paying.

When The Beatles toured, they only played for a half hour at each show. I can't imagine a concert that short.

The concerts were so short, they'd sometime play two shows in different cities in one day!

Running to Stand Still, not much in the first half

Mothers of the Disappeared, not much....

MS - slow, light drumming

TLTTGYA - not much in first verse, not a whole lot until the end.

So 4 out of 21 with all of those songs still having drums in them...he's taken more breaks on other tours. Hell ZOO TV had more breaks for Larry with Satellite of Love and Unchained Melody having no drums and songs like Stay having parts with no drums in them. I've been more impressed with Larry on this tour then on I+E and 360.

Obviously I mean that if they're playing a shorter set list than the last tour because of health reasons, its completely understandable. If they're just doing it b/c their heart isn't in the tour, it's not (given the prices they're charging for those tickets).

the avg set is longer than any of their 80s tours and Elevation, and the same length as ZooTV. Were they not into those tours? I&E was an anomaly. Their sets since 1992 have averaged...22.7 songs. They generally play between 21-23 songs a night. This tour they play 22. This is a normal tour for U2, and there's no reason to think they're unwell.

I don't know. If they played 25 on average at I+E, and 21/22 on average here, that's 3-4 songs less. Not insignificant when you're only playing 21 songs. And they're playing in stadiums, to more people, so it's not like you have the intimate experience of an arena to make up for the shortened set list.

That said, the more I think about it the more I'm OK with it if they drop ASOH. It's my favourite U2 song of all time. But the reality is they've never really been able to nail the song live, even on TUF tour. The atmospherics on ASOH (and most of that record) are just hard to recreate live. As great as the song is, there's a reason they haven't played it for decades (except for the odd performance here and there). And I can't really say I'm happy with what they've done with the song based on what I've heard. So given the limited number of songs they are singing, maybe it's better to keep that slot for something that works. They probably know what they're doing.

I really don't listen to U2 albums anymore, it's almost exclusively U2 live cuts...boots, DVD rips, etc., but TUF always been an exception. Which is why I've been waiting and wanting a really solid live performance of ASOH, but I don't think that's ever going to happen.

Then again, could be wrong, and it could reappear in Dallas and stay on the setlist. We'll see!

I&E had a high number of songs, yes. But that seemed to be unusual for them, so 21 is not super far off. Someone just posted avg setlist length of tours ... not sure if this thread of another. Sure, they could play a few more songs. They always could.

Let's face it, if they added ASoH back and then added another song, it would probably be Vertigo anyway and people would gripe about THAT.

the avg set is longer than any of their 80s tours and Elevation, and the same length as ZooTV. Were they not into those tours? I&E was an anomaly. Their sets since 1992 have averaged...22.7 songs. They generally play between 21-23 songs a night. This tour they play 22.

21 some nights.

And you could see a show in the 80's for 20 bucks. You could see Elevation for 50.

I&E had a high number of songs, yes. But that seemed to be unusual for them, so 21 is not super far off. Someone just posted avg setlist length of tours ... not sure if this thread of another. Sure, they could play a few more songs. They always could.

Let's face it, if they added ASoH back and then added another song, it would probably be Vertigo anyway and people would gripe about THAT.

that's the thing. during rehearsals everyone was saying the encore was too short. I said it was fine. what did they do? add Elevation. I would've preferred the shorter set.

Radiohead play usually 24 songs a night, and they have a lot of longer, moodier songs like U2 do (despite the smaller discography). I compared the Cure the other day on twitter too, but in fairness they counter a lot of the longer pieces (Disintegration, A Forest) with short dumb songs (Why Can't I Be You, A Night Like This) which can easily fill up 30 songs.

Depeche Mode, who literally mail in their live show more than probably any act of their time (same setlist all 10+ shows of the tour so far, and that setlist is very similar to the last two tours) are even managing 22 songs a night!

if I see a band that's been together 40 years, with 10+ albums play a 21 song show, they better be long as hell songs (see any prog band ever - Rush in particular, who still managed 23 songs every single night of their final ever tour! and there were a few 10+ minute songs in there!!!)

the more this goes on, the more this feels like fulfilling a Live Nation obligation. even if some of the songs (Bad, Ultraviolet, and obviously the JT rarities) are being played incredibly. there's so much untapped potential here...but then again, the 360 and I&E tours had tons of that too. I think Vertigo was largely satisfying for the most part, but even that had its issues, even at the end!

So 4 out of 21 with all of those songs still having drums in them...he's taken more breaks on other tours. Hell ZOO TV had more breaks for Larry with Satellite of Love and Unchained Melody having no drums and songs like Stay having parts with no drums in them. I've been more impressed with Larry on this tour then on I+E and 360.

Not disagreeing with you. He's been doing it for a loooong time.

a good portion of their songs he is absent in the beginning. Many other songs, there is a musical breakdown and it's just Bono, or just synths or something. He gets rests in the middle of those tunes.

21 some nights.

And you could see a show in the 80's for 20 bucks. You could see Elevation for 50.

The average is 22. There's nothing even remotely unusual about U2's set length. You might want more or think that they're charging too much but those are separate issues. They're playing a set that is consistent with their last 25 years. I&E is the outlier.

Not disagreeing with you. He's been doing it for a loooong time.

a good portion of their songs he is absent in the beginning. Many other songs, there is a musical breakdown and it's just Bono, or just synths or something. He gets rests in the middle of those tunes.

But almost every drummer does this. Metallica or Rush songs have parts in them where there's little or no drums. The drummers aren't being lazy, they're playing the song.

Re: ASOH, I was at the Santa Clara show about 10-15 people back from the Tree stage and it sounded great apart from the weird synth. Bono's voice was strong for most of it as well. I was curious of the reception for each of the non- warhorses as the energy tends to feedback to the band. I'm also one of those people that's sings every word to every song and I toned it down a bit. I'd say not too many people knew the song.bibwas shocked that there was barely any call back and you could see in Bono's face that he felt that. I actually turned to my wife and said "did you see his reaction? I can't see this lasting too long in the 3 spot, maybe later in the set with the screen"

The average is 22. There's nothing even remotely unusual about U2's set length. You might want more or think that they're charging too much but those are separate issues. They're playing a set that is consistent with their last 25 years. I&E is the outlier.

It has been slowly creeping longer from Elevation though, which is why I'm disappointed it's fallen back.

Re: ASOH, I was at the Santa Clara show about 10-15 people back from the Tree stage and it sounded great apart from the weird synth. Bono's voice was strong for most of it as well. I was curious of the reception for each of the non- warhorses as the energy tends to feedback to the band. I'm also one of those people that's sings every word to every song and I toned it down a bit. I'd say not too many people knew the song.bibwas shocked that there was barely any call back and you could see in Bono's face that he felt that. I actually turned to my wife and said "did you see his reaction? I can't see this lasting too long in the 3 spot, maybe later in the set with the screen"

It would probably help if Bono introduced the song and mentioned its significance, unless he has been doing so. I can't remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom