Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good shout, based on history, will we get any potential teasers as to any deep cuts they're rehearsing?

Yep. We knew most of the surprises from the early stages of IE from the rehearsals - and some things that never saw the light of day, like One Step Closer and acoustic The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

The one thing from the first few dates of IE that blew me away, however, was The Electric Co. Early in rehearsals a fan heard Edge (or Dallas) play it, but we never had a report of a full band rehearsal and assumed it was just some noodling or an abandoned idea. When the band ripped into it for the first time at San Jose I couldn't believe my ears.

cmt-medium.gif

U2 have played 3 shows in those "other" cities since 2000, 30+ in NYC Metro.

Doesn't matter. The idea that the NYC metro area is the only place to play in the state of New York is false. U2 did 3 shows in upstate New York on the Joshua Tree Tour. The Police played the indoor stadium in Syracuse on their Ghost In The Machine Tour and the Synchronicity Tour as well as also playing a stadium in Rochester on the Synchronicity Tour.

Doesn't matter. The idea that the NYC metro area is the only place to play in the state of New York is false. U2 did 3 shows in upstate New York on the Joshua Tree Tour. The Police played the indoor stadium in Syracuse on their Ghost In The Machine Tour and the Synchronicity Tour as well as also playing a stadium in Rochester on the Synchronicity Tour.
I'm still failing to see what your point is. That u2 have played smaller cities 30 years ago? That the cities on the Erie Canal hadn't yet been totally decimated by deindustrialization in the 80s? What is your argument and the fuck does it have to do with U2 not playing Kentucky more often?

Hmm, call me crazy, but 30 or so days away from Show #1 on 5/12 and still nada on the rehearsal rumors and no hints of practice yet?

Am I missing a thread?

Maybe they've played most of the JT so many times that rehearsal is optional?

I'm not really bilingual, but no comprende mi Interference amigos and amigas.

Or they were rehearsing in studio to learn the songs (see instagram photos) and now they're all on the pre-tour break. Reconvene in a week or two and start doing production rehearsals.

I'm still failing to see what your point is. That u2 have played smaller cities 30 years ago? That the cities on the Erie Canal hadn't yet been totally decimated by deindustrialization in the 80s? What is your argument and the fuck does it have to do with U2 not playing Kentucky more often?

The point is that artist and bands play lots of other places in the state of New York and not just New York City metro area. If you think no one tours upstate New York anymore, your wrong. This is a general discussion thread and I was responding to other peoples post that New York and Illinois only got shows for their big cities, Chicago and New York City.

Very interested to see if we get any rehearsal leaks.... I'd love a couple of NLOH deep cuts...

And I'd love to hear "A Celebration" or "Big Girls are Best"...which have about the same likelihood as NLOTH deep cuts.

This tour is going to be the 11 JT track + hits. Hopefully we'll get something like A Sort of Homecoming or Unforgettable Fire...one of the bigger/better album cuts as opposed to exclusively stuff straight off U218.

exit
trip through your wires
mother's of the disappeared
one tree hill
red hill mining town

don't hold your breath for any other deep cuts.

Exactly. Gotta laugh about some of the deluded posts about set lists for this tour. Heck they likely consider RTSS a deep cut.

The set list will be JT + bog standard stuff. The only interest for me is to what extent they neuter any of the "too hard to play or sing" JT tracks. Wouldn't even surprise me if they drop a JT song or two.

It won't be a true Joshua Tree Tour if it is not preceded by a drunk live performance of Womanfish on an Irish TV show.

I think the deepest non JT cut we see is Sweetest Thing. In other words, we're not getting any deep cuts.

Would I be shocked if they played a song off Rattle and Hum that hasn't been played much? Or something like A Sort of Homecoming? Nah, it wouldn't shock me. But I'm not betting on it, either.

47 plays in 23 years isn't exactly a high number.

But it's not a "deep cut" or "rarity" if someone on here has seen it live.

... or something like that. I forget what the exact definition was when we had this discussion awhile ago . :huh:

I think the deepest non JT cut we see is Sweetest Thing. In other words, we're not getting any deep cuts.

Would I be shocked if they played a song off Rattle and Hum that hasn't been played much? Or something like A Sort of Homecoming? Nah, it wouldn't shock me. But I'm not betting on it, either.

I've got no facts, but what I remember is thinking that for just about every tour since Elevation they've grabbed 1 or 2 songs that I consider deep or rare and played them.

What comes to mind now is Into the Heart / Electric Co maybe on the the Vertigo Tour?? That was fun... hope they do something like that again.

I've got no facts, but what I remember is thinking that for just about every tour since Elevation they've grabbed 1 or 2 songs that I consider deep or rare and played them.

What comes to mind now is Into the Heart / Electric Co maybe on the the Vertigo Tour?? That was fun... hope they do something like that again.
I get that... but they're learning a whole shit load of rare songs just for the Joshua Tree portion of the show.

I don't discount the chances of something that hasn't been played in a while being played, and I'd that a strong look at the Joshua Tree tour setlists to try and figure out what - but I think there's a difference between "rare" and "deep cuts."

A Sort of Homecoming is rare. Twilight is a deep cut.

But it's not a "deep cut" or "rarity" if someone on here has seen it live.

... or something like that. I forget what the exact definition was when we had this discussion awhile ago . :huh:

The original implication of what I quoted was that we shouldn't be happy about U2 playing a rare/deep/whatever label you want to use song because they could be playing a rarer song, and that to 'accept' this means that you'd equally happily attend a show with Elevation played 20 times and Womanfish x2 as the encore.

If somebody saw RTSS a bunch back in 2005 (12 YEARS ago) and is having nightmare flashbacks all these years later, or is complaining that there are rarer songs that should be played, I can't help them. The rest of us will enjoy it rather than getting our calculators out and doing some statistical analysis on the GA floor.

Talking of the Boy album, Out of Control is incredible live, it has that power that no other U2 song has in my opinion. They performed it great in the I+E tour.

It be great to see Out of Control become a regular over summer, if they do intend to start with energy and lead up to TJT then I don't think Out Of Control is that far l fetched, what a song it is!

Ya I am hoping for Stand Up Comedy too but as long as they play Elevation I will be happy

Elevation,

Now that is one number that needs to be rested. Would much rather see that one played Sporadically over the course of future tours but knowing them it'll follow or just come before I Will Follow in the first 30 minutes of each and every JT show.

Hi gang,

I ordered tickets to both London shows, but due to a change in circumstances, and the fact I'm travelling from Australia, I need to find out some more information about when I will receive these tickets. Does anyone have some further insight?

Elevation,

Now that is one number that needs to be rested. Would much rather see that one played Sporadically over the course of future tours but knowing them it'll follow or just come before I Will Follow in the first 30 minutes of each and every JT show.

I was being sarcastic. Elevation is long overdue for a rest plain and simple. There are much better songs they can play on the JT tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom