Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the JT special edition. The circles up the top are vinyl records, and the letters describe what is on each one. The circles at the bottom are the cds

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Tampa and Houston will sell out, and Pitt and KY will be near sellout.

We'll see.

But I have serious doubts about a sellout for both Tampa and Houston.

For Pitt and KY, there's just no way.

Unless they get a huge bump in interest after the release of RHMT.

We'll see.

But I have serious doubts about a sellout for both Tampa and Houston.

For Pitt and KY, there's just no way.

Unless they get a huge bump in interest after the release of RHMT.

I don't think U2 have ever really soldout a stadium show in Pittsburgh so this show not selling out is not unusual at all. The Louisville Kentucky show will be the highest attended concert in the history of that city, maybe even the entire state.

Tampa I think will sellout for sure because there are not many tickets left. Houston probably not but they will be close to the 360 attendance level which was U2's highest attendance ever in Houston.

These shows are selling just fine. There is nothing shocking or remotely similar to the low attendance numbers seen at many POPMART shows. All the stadiums back on the Joshua Tree Tour in 1987 and ZOO TV tour in 1992 were not 100% soldout, so there should not be any expectation that would be the case with this.

The Louisville Kentucky show will be the highest attended concert in the history of that city, maybe even the entire state.

are you sure about this one or are you just making it up?

concert capacity for papa john's is 45k. kenny chesney did 42k there last year. stones did 40k at churchill downs a decade ago.

current unsold tickets for U2 i at 3,766 - 41,234 sold - this is not including GA tickets, of which there are oodles still available but you can only reserve 50 at a time (which you can, if you and 50 of your closest friends so desire). sure, it's all GA whereas chesney was only partially GA, so there's room for more butts on the floor, but there are also a shit ton of seats available.

so yea... do you have any proof of this one or are you just making the assumption that louisville is a podunk shit town that has never seen any major shows before?

are you sure about this one or are you just making it up?

concert capacity for papa john's is 45k. kenny chesney did 42k there last year. stones did 40k at churchill downs a decade ago.

current unsold tickets for U2 i at 3,766 - 41,234 sold - this is not including GA tickets, of which there are oodles still available but you can only reserve 50 at a time (which you can, if you and 50 of your closest friends so desire). sure, it's all GA whereas chesney was only partially GA, so there's room for more butts on the floor, but there are also a shit ton of seats available.

so yea... do you have any proof of this one or are you just making the assumption that louisville is a podunk shit town that has never seen any major shows before?

You could say I'm assuming this more than it being fact. The state of Kentucky let alone louisville has not seen that many large stadium shows over the past 50 years. Louisville also was not until recently a place where artist would play. I did not know that Kenny Chesney played there last year. Kenny Chesney usually depends on 3 or 4 opening acts to bring his attendance numbers up. Plus with it being Kentucky, Kenny Chesney is a natural for the region, while U2 is bit off the norm for taste in Kentucky.

Here is the Stones Boxscore from 2006:

September 29, 2006
Louisville Kentucky
Churchill Downs
GROSS: $5,060,297
ATTENDANCE: 40,912
SHOWS: 1
SELLOUTS: 1
Average Ticket Price: $123.69
SUPPORT: Alice Cooper

Last edited:
You could say I'm assuming this more than it being fact. The state of Kentucky let alone louisville has not seen that many large stadium shows over the past 50 years. Louisville also was not until recently a place where artist would play. I did not know that Kenny Chesney played there last year. Kenny Chesney usually depends on 3 or 4 opening acts to bring his attendance numbers up. Plus with it being Kentucky, Kenny Chesney is a natural for the region, while U2 is bit off the norm for taste in Kentucky.

Here is the Stones Boxscore from 2006:

September 29, 2006
Louisville Kentucky
Churchill Downs
GROSS: $5,060,297
ATTENDANCE: 40,912
Average Ticket Price: $123.69
SUPPORT: Alice Cooper
So you just pulled it out of your ass.

Got it.

I wonder which people are more polite, your average person in Louisville, or your average person in New York City.

Here is the Kenny Chesney Boxscore from Louisville:

May 28, 2016
Louisville Kentucky
Papa John's Cardinal Stadium
GROSS: $2,475,354
ATTENDANCE: 42,448
CAPACITY: 45,500
SELLOUTS: 0
Average Ticket Price: $58.32
SUPPORT: Miranda Lambert, Sam Hunt, Old Dominion

Last edited:
Should I interject here, being that I AM a Kentuckian?

I don't think U2 will have any trouble selling those last few thousand tickets. They still have almost three months to do so, and a lot of people within a decent distance of Louisville might make a last minute decision to attend the show if tickets are still available. I myself would have gotten tickets to the Louisville show if I hadn't already gotten Chicago 2 tickets. I even considered going to both shows, but I really can't afford it, and June is already going to be a nightmare of scheduling for me, without having to go on far away trips EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND (between Chicago and other duties, I'm already doing a lot of travelling during the month).

Granted, I don't really live close to Louisville because I'm on the far western side of the state (Chicago is a 6 hour drive, Louisville is a 4 hour drive, into another time zone, so it feels like 5), but to say that Kentucky are Kenny Chesney people, and not U2 people seems to be making an assumption that we're all country music fans? I'd say that's really not the case. Classic rock 70s-80s is huge here. The other factor is that we don't get a lot of great events coming to our state, so when someone decent DOES come, people will go just so they can have something to do.

When you live in a location where literally everyone tours, you might decide to only see the bands you really like, and skip the shows of people you only listen to in passing. In Kentucky it's more like "wait, something to do that doesn't involve horses or college basketball?! FINALLY, and then you buy a ticket."

I wonder which people are more polite, your average person in Louisville, or your average person in New York City.

I wonder which previously banned users are more likely to make alters on Interference?

Coldplay
du Arena
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Dec. 31, 2016
$4,301,291
31,285 /31,285
1 / 1
$381.18, $107.55

:applaud:

Should I interject here, being that I AM a Kentuckian?

I don't think U2 will have any trouble selling those last few thousand tickets. They still have almost three months to do so, and a lot of people within a decent distance of Louisville might make a last minute decision to attend the show if tickets are still available. I myself would have gotten tickets to the Louisville show if I hadn't already gotten Chicago 2 tickets. I even considered going to both shows, but I really can't afford it, and June is already going to be a nightmare of scheduling for me, without having to go on far away trips EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND (between Chicago and other duties, I'm already doing a lot of travelling during the month).

Granted, I don't really live close to Louisville because I'm on the far western side of the state (Chicago is a 6 hour drive, Louisville is a 4 hour drive, into another time zone, so it feels like 5), but to say that Kentucky are Kenny Chesney people, and not U2 people seems to be making an assumption that we're all country music fans? I'd say that's really not the case. Classic rock 70s-80s is huge here. The other factor is that we don't get a lot of great events coming to our state, so when someone decent DOES come, people will go just so they can have something to do.

When you live in a location where literally everyone tours, you might decide to only see the bands you really like, and skip the shows of people you only listen to in passing. In Kentucky it's more like "wait, something to do that doesn't involve horses or college basketball?! FINALLY, and then you buy a ticket."

Do most artist play shows in either Louisville or Lexington and skip the rest of the state when they play Kentucky?
As far as stadium shows taking place in Kentucky we know of The Police, Rolling Stones, Kenny Chesney and now U2 coming up. Can you think of any others?

Do most artist play shows in either Louisville or Lexington and skip the rest of the state when they play Kentucky?

As far as stadium shows taking place in Kentucky we know of The Police, Rolling Stones, Kenny Chesney and now U2 coming up. Can you think of any others?

Yes. There's not much going on for the rest of the state. You've got a couple of college towns that have venues that can handle smaller shows, but they stick to football only in their stadiums.

My very small city has a performing arts center with I think like a 2000 seat capacity. We get a few shows. Best one in recent memory was Weird Al.

Also read as: Coldplay are more adventurous in their touring habits than U2.

Just like most artists play NYC and skip the rest of New York State (heck sometimes like U2 this year they skip New York State altogether and play New Jersey instead)?
Or most play Chicago and skip the rest of Illinois?

Amazing how bands play the population centers and not little towns in the middle of states with the high school auditorium as the largest venue.

Just like most artists play NYC and skip the rest of New York State (heck sometimes like U2 this year they skip New York State altogether and play New Jersey instead)?

Amazing how bands play the population centers and not little towns in the middle of states with the high school auditorium as the largest venue.
That was a cheap ploy to draw me into a "MetLife is geographically closer to NYC's population center than most other stadiums" argument, and I'm not going to take the bait.

I know how you work, Hewson... I know how you work. Stop trolling me.

Actually there are a lot of cities throughout New York State that get played besides New York City. Cities like Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester, Albany, and Saratoga Springs.

In Illinois, Champaign often gets played as do some communities in Illinois closer to St. Louis.

Kentucky often does not get played at all. But it would seem that Lexington, Louisville get the most shows. I also wonder about the counties in Kentucky just south of Cincinnati Ohio, although there are probably no good facilities there so the artist just plays Cincinnati.

NSYNC played Louisville Cardinal August 2001 at their height.

George Strait Cardinal 2001.

George Strait Cardinal 1999

DMB C-Downs 2010

Beach Boys C-Downs 1974(riding greatest hits resurgence)

Last edited:
NSYNC played Louisville Cardinal August 2001 at their height.

George Strait Cardinal 2001.

George Strait Cardinal 1999

DMB C-Downs 2010

Beach Boys C-Downs 1974(riding greatest hits resurgence)

While most NSYNC shows in 2001 grossed enough money to make the weekly boxcore top 10 in 2001, the Papa Johns show did not suggesting it was not a sellout and had less than 40,000 in attendance. The show in St. Louis only had 31,000 in attendance. Back in 2001, Billboard only posted the top 10 grossing shows in the magazine each week.

I don't think George Strait played any shows in 2001 as I did not see a single boxscore for him.

The 1999 Boxscore was there for George Strait:

George Strait
May 30, 1999
Louisville Kentucky
Papa Johns Cardinal Stadium University Of Louisville
GROSS: $2,090,181
ATTENDANCE: 44,479
CAPACITY: 44,479
Average Ticket Price: $47.00
Opening Acts: Tim McGraw, Dixie Chicks, Kenny Chesney, Jo Dee Messina, Mark Wills, Asleep At The Wheel

The Dave Matthews Band played one day of a 3 day festival at Church Hill Downs back in 2010 with lots of other bands. Attendance combined for all 3 days was 73,000 and festival lost 5 million dollars. Overall it was an under attended event and unlikely to have had 40,000 or more at any of the individual days.

Could not find anything on the Beach Boys concert from 1974 except the date which was Friday May 17, 1974. I did see mention by a person attending the Texas Stadium show in 1974 that the Beach Boys opened for Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young at that show. So many of the stadium shows on that tour may have been more like festival shows.

So luckily I found the "tour location and box score gross sales and just how country is Kentucky" thread, is there a 'rehearsal rumors' thread somewhere?

Morleigh's cat posting any photos of set lists?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom