Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The one mystery is where the stage is prior to the final BC Place event. In 2007 the Police had the stadium stage up at a certain shipping dock pointed at the ocean for a band rehearsal run through. There's indoor film studios or airplane hangers where the stage could fit. The stadium stage may fit inside the coliseum sideways, though without the tree shaped walkway.

The band needs to rehearse. Do they really need the whole stage setup for more than a week or two? I would have thought the band would rehearse in a smaller space, work on song arrangements etc and then much later in the process bring in the full lighting and presentation.

I'm new to Vancouver. Do they have a history of playing club show(s)during rehearsals before they begin a tour?

If they actually do rehearsals at BC place I'll be able to listen from my balcony.

I note that the ticket prices have been slashed a bit for the Louisville date. This is probably the promoter waving the white flag in admission that the venue is in trouble and won't sell otherwise.

Also interesting is that Ticketmaster will no longer reveal how many ground tickets are available for the Pittsburgh and Louisville shows. I wonder why.

The band needs to rehearse. Do they really need the whole stage setup for more than a week or two?

Maybe the staging people want to practice putting the stage up and taking it down. So the idea might be for U2 to rehearse elsewhere for most of the week, thus giving the staging people time to play.

The band needs to rehearse. Do they really need the whole stage setup for more than a week or two? .
Depends on how elaborate the stage and its integration with the show is. Sounds like the stage will be simpler than the last few tours this time out, but they clearly needed and took a lot of time to rehearse with the i+e stage last time, and of course it wasn't enough time obviously...

There is a facility in Lititz, Pennsylvania, a tiny town north of Lancaster, built specifically for large scale concert rehearsals.

Many of the leaders in the touring industry are involved in the project. The i/e stage was first assembled here, the company that has built all of U2's major stages, including the Claw, I'd based here, and I'd venture to guess that the Joshua Tree tour stage is there right now.

That the band is spending this time recording in New York, a 2+ hour drive from Lititz or 30 minute private jet ride, rather than staying in Dublin until it's time to go to Vancouver is probably not a coincidence. It wouldn't shock me at all if the band has gone over there, and/or are planning to go there once rehearsals start getting serious.

Http://rocklititz.com

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ruthbl...g-in-the-heart-of-amish-country/#135b13595d86

Maybe the staging people want to practice putting the stage up and taking it down. So the idea might be for U2 to rehearse elsewhere for most of the week, thus giving the staging people time to play.

There will be more than one stage. They don't necetneed to practice that in Vancouver.

They will need a full setup at some point to work on lighting and production though

Is it weird that there don't seem to have been any ticket drops for the shows? Or is it too early to start seeing Ticketmaster release more tickets?

Probably won't see anything (or at least anything significant) till they have the stage being set in Vancouver and can determine exactly how far it comes out and sight lines along side etc.
I'd say 2 weeks before show 1 roughly.

So I just added up the standard available tickets for Tampa, Pittsburgh, Louisville and Houston . . . looks like between 16,000 and 17,000 tickers left still.

Ouch.

So I just added up the standard available tickets for Tampa, Pittsburgh, Louisville and Houston . . . looks like between 16,000 and 17,000 tickers left still.

Ouch.
So 4 thousand per venue, give or take? It's certainly not good, but not terrible either... Especially when you consider that every other venue sold out

Yeah, roughly 4,000 tickets left in each of four cities, none of which are strong markets for the band, with over two months to go until showtime?

I don't see how this can possibly be spun as a bad news story, and I'm more than ready to kick U2 when they're down. Or at least I was until redhill unmasked me as a blind sheep. Who knew, eh.

Yeah, roughly 4,000 tickets left in each of four cities, none of which are strong markets for the band, with over two months to go until showtime?

I don't see how this can possibly be spun as a bad news story, and I'm more than ready to kick U2 when they're down. Or at least I was until redhill unmasked me as a blind sheep. Who knew, eh.

You bloody kiwis and your sheep :rolleyes:

Ouch.

Eh, not really ouch. looks like about 2400 in Tampa, Looks like they just released all the seats this past week. About 3500 in Houston. About 5000 in Pitt, which is really quite impressive considering. That means around 6k or so in KY.

I would bet that prices will be cut for the latter 2 dates in the next month. Tampa and Houston will sell out, and Pitt and KY will be near sellout.

Meaning U2 will have a 98% sold out stadium tour in probably the most competitive touring season I've ever seen. Good for them.

In Contrast, Depeche Mode, with a new album getting strong reviews is still about 9000 seats away from filling up the 20,000 seat amphitheater here in Tampa.

Last edited:
If there is any criticism to be made, it was in booking so many rust belt stadium shows. If even one of the Pittsburgh/Cleveland/Louisville triad had been in a different location... Vegas, Phoenix, Mexico City... the other two would probably book up and we wouldn't be having this issue. Pittsburgh and Louisville look like the biggest offenders - Cleveland looks to be okay.

Still, nothing like PopMart and pretty successful for the cities they're in. Could have just done a little better with better scheduling, but overall it's a tour that the majority of the venues sold out in short order, and the few that didn't are in historically bad markets - and even still are relatively close to sell outs and may sell out by show time.

^^^Still don't know why Las Vegas & Phoenix weren't included w/ the whole desert & wide open American themes JT carry.

Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion II

The only thing I can think is that Phoenix and Denver just had 2 shows in 2015, and that maybe they want to save Vegas for the I&E tour when they can do 2 arena shows in the new arena. Vegas doesn't really have a big football stadium either, especially when you're doing an end stage show. It only took 36,000 people to sell it out on popmart.

Booking Cleveland and Pittsburgh doesn't make much sense, being so close together. One of those shows could've been in Detroit or Minneapolis for better results. Cleveland sold out on day 1, helped largely by being on a Saturday. Clearly the demand was there. Pittsburgh is selling surprisingly slow, even the floor probably has about 2,000 tickets left. TM won't allow you to see how many tickets are still left on the floor.

Last edited:
I find myself excited to hear Exit all of a sudden. I barely remember what the live version sounds like. All these songs that you sort of forget about (despite listening to studio versions) because they haven't been played live for so long.

Well, to all the people who believed this tour was somehow going to be extended to markets in South America, Australia, New Zealand etc.

Bono also shared his thoughts about The Joshua Tree 2017 tour:

I can't wait for these shows. I wish there were more of them. Originally there were going to be 10, then it was 20 because we had to go to Europe. But there are so many places in the world we didn't get to and that sucks. But, we will get to you when Songs Of Experience is out, which won't be too long.

Thats the latest news on Atu2.com

I find myself excited to hear Exit all of a sudden. I barely remember what the live version sounds like. All these songs that you sort of forget about (despite listening to studio versions) because they haven't been played live for so long.

Exit would be the big one i want to hear. One of my favorite parts of rattle and hum.

How do you see on Ticketmaster how many tickets are left for a show? Thanks.

You have to go to the map of the stadium. Deselect resale tickets, and then hover over the blue areas and it says how many remain. Although they don't give numbers on U2's GA area anymore. Pitt and KY still have a couple thousand GA's available, as of the last time they provided numbers.

Exit for me was the highlight of the 3 JT shows I saw in 1987. Its one of those songs that just goes to a whole different level live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom