Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i know larry's because it's on halloween.

I was at a show on his birthday in 97.
I remember there being cake for his birthday and I remember seemingly about a dozen people invited up on stage to dance.

I saw Larry's 40th birthday Elevation show in Providence in 2001. Cake and champagne and they played Party Girl and Slow Dancing to celebrate.

Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion II

You've caught yourself in a lie in the same post as said lie... ;)

Hahaha! I must have known at the time when Bono's Birthday was because I chose that date specifically for that reason. In 2001, living in central/western Ohio, I had ample options of shows to choose from (kind of like this JT Tour!). But NOW I only remember Bono's b-day in association with that concert.

Adam and Edge I could not tell you their birthdays off the top of my head. I somehow always remember that Larry's birthday is Oct 31, Halloween. That one is easy.

After seeing the show in Philly Sunday, and knowing how stagnant the setlist is/can be, one minor change - one that would add a song, serve as a good transition point from TJT to the encore AND rest Bono's voice - is Van Dieman's Land. A nice little political prisoner ditty to lead into the luminous women section.

After seeing the show in Philly Sunday, and knowing how stagnant the setlist is/can be, one minor change - one that would add a song, serve as a good transition point from TJT to the encore AND rest Bono's voice - is Van Dieman's Land. A nice little political prisoner ditty to lead into the luminous women section.

Not sure how Van Diemen's Land, a song about convict transportation to Tasmania in the nineteenth century, is relevant? Convicts were typically guilty of petty crimes; very few of them were political prisoners. Britain, after all, did not want its young Australian colonies to become hotbeds of radicalism - though the colonies did become quite adventurous anyway (there's a reason why the secret ballot is called the Australian ballot).

Not sure how Van Diemen's Land, a song about convict transportation to Tasmania in the nineteenth century, is relevant? Convicts were typically guilty of petty crimes; very few of them were political prisoners. Britain, after all, did not want its young Australian colonies to become hotbeds of radicalism - though the colonies did become quite adventurous anyway (there's a reason why the secret ballot is called the Australian ballot).

giphy.gif

I saw Larry's 40th birthday Elevation show in Providence in 2001. Cake and champagne and they played Party Girl and Slow Dancing to celebrate.

If I recall correctly, Larry also spoke and greatly exaggerated the capacity of The Dunk - said something like "spending his birthday with 60,000 close friends."

You're wrong here. In the liner notes for R&H, the song is dedicated to John Boyle O'Reilly. Look him up.
The lyrics are also relevant:
"We fought for justice/ And not for gain...
Now kings will rule/ And the poor will toil/ And tear their hands/ As they tear the soil
But a day will come/ In this dawning age/ When an honest man/ Sees an honest wage"
Not too hard to see how parallels could be drawn to current times.

Now that I've had time to recover from the Philly show, I'll share my observations/opinions. First, I was surprised to see so many negative reviews being posted on u2gigs. I knew what to expect going in and was more than pleased with the show. SBS was straight ahead kick ass, not the re-imagined dreck of recent tours. NYD was good as always. Bad is always great to see live. Pride was only held back by the lame crowd response to the sing alongs at the end. Same for the America snippet at the end of Bad. The theme for the night was the only thing lame was the crowd. The band pretty much nailed side 2 of JT and Bono gave maximum effort on Red Hill. Watch his reaction at the end on youtube. Loved, loved loved MW because they brought back the full slide solo at the end. EPIC! Closing with one stadium rocker after another. The band definitely didnt mail this one in. My daughter and I were on the rail at the b stage and you could easily see the band were having a blast. Stadium was full, GA was full all the way to the back, RZ was full and seemed much larger than pics from other venues. Rz at Philly nearly went all the way to the sideline seats, very wide. Oh, and security nearly turned GA into a lottery by allowing multiple streams of GA down 3 separate stairs down to the field. 1-100, 101-200, 201-300 all going down at same time.

You're wrong here. In the liner notes for R&H, the song is dedicated to John Boyle O'Reilly. Look him up.

Now kings will rule/ And the poor will toil/ And tear their hands/ As they tear the soil

But a day will come/ In this dawning age/ When an honest man/ Sees an honest wage"

Hang on. Are you saying Axver is wrong about what Van Dieman's Land is about, what it means, or the history itself? More so than U2, it'd be a brave person to correct him on Aus/NZ history.

"Hold me now until this hour has gone around and I'm off on the rising tide for to face Van Dieman's land".

Not sure how that isn't clear.

Touché, I had forgotten that dedication. But as a depiction of convictism - which is the broader theme - it's inaccurate to take it as a suitable analogue to the Syrian crisis or global refugee movement.

And I'm not sure those lyrics really fit the story of the young Syrian refugee that they want to tell. I'd say Please, as a plea for an end to a multi-sided conflict that's led by hypocrites and has displaced many innocents like her, is a bit closer. But then that doesn't accomplish your stated intention of Bono resting for a song. It does surprise me they haven't done Van Diemen's Land on any recent tour to give Bono a breather.

By the way, it amazes me how often people - including some of my fellow historians, to their shame - spell Van Diemen's Land with an "a".

I meant thematically relevant to current problems in general, not specially Syria/refugees. The lyrics resonate. A R&H song right after TJT slides better towards the encore in my view. Mind you, I'd kill for Please to be added. Kill an insect, but still... Watching the chaotic climax of Exit on the screen was reminiscent of the crescendo of Please during Popmart and there's no good reason we can't have both.

Yeah, I'm definitely surprised by the lack of RAH stuff after JT. I fully expected at bare minimum them to do AIWIY after Mothers, to end the main set with a big, recognisable hit - and one that doesn't sound as ridiculous after Mothers as Desire would.

Oh, my comments about Mothers/Desire only hold if there's not a break between them. I basically assumed they wouldn't close the main set with Mothers, and play one or two big hits. If there's an encore break, then sure. That Desire from 2016 would be a killer encore opener. Then MW/UV, One, Miss Sarajevo, Beautiful Day, Elevation/Vertigo, bam, chronological. And last I Will Follow for the hell of it or 40 because fuck you of course 40.

I meant thematically relevant to current problems in general, not specially Syria/refugees. The lyrics resonate. A R&H song right after TJT slides better towards the encore in my view.
Except of course for the fact that they're clearly intentionally skipping R&H on this tour, for who knows what reason.

(Obviously so they can do Lovetown30 in Australia in 2 years.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom