Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody else like the switch of the intro song before the shows starts from The Pogue's A Rainy Night in Soho to The Waterboy's The Whole of the Moon?

The band made the switch permanently since Bonaroo, I think the latter is a better intro song along with the other tune fillers including Lana del Rey, Hifi Sean and some Radiohead.

Think it's pretty low odds that Bruce shows up at one of the Metlife shows if he's not out on a tour now.

I don't think they would bring out a guest during the JT performance, so where else does he appear? One? Beautiful Day?

They already brought out guests during JT: Eddie Vedder and Mumford & Sons during MOTD in Seattle.

Get him out there for IGC or Trip, something other than the predictable ISHFWILF.

If it does happen at MetLife, I imagine it would be Mothers like Eddie, or they'd tack on something at the end of the show in place of Little Things. Still Haven't Found is predictable, and there's nothing U2 like more than being predictable, but I would doubt they'd bring Bruce out 6 songs into the set.

Bruce isn't touring, so as long as he's not on vacation next week I'd say the odds are pretty good.

I hate to nitpick setlists because i'm just thrilled to be in the building for a U2 show (June 28th will be my 14th show overall) but I'm disappointed at ASOHC getting dropped and now Ultraviolet for MW. MW is a great tune and lots of fun live but it's been played to death. I haven't heard/seen Ultraviolet since the Zoo TV tour and was really looking forward to it...Oh well.

I hate to nitpick setlists because i'm just thrilled to be in the building for a U2 show (June 28th will be my 14th show overall) but I'm disappointed at ASOHC getting dropped and now Ultraviolet for MW. MW is a great tune and lots of fun live but it's been played to death. I haven't heard/seen Ultraviolet since the Zoo TV tour and was really looking forward to it...Oh well.

I would be surprised if MW stayed in the setlist. Yesterday was The Edge & morleigh's wedding anniversary. If I recall she was the original belly Dancer during the Zoo Tv Tour

Tues, Sep 19 - Phoenix (Univ. of Phoenix Stadium)
Red Hill Group presale start - Tues, June 20, 10AM
Wires Group presale start - Wed, June 2,1 10AM
Presales end - Thur, June 22, 5PM
Public on sale - Fri, June 2,3 10AM

http://www.u2.com/presale

Looking at that date, obviously Atlanta is not going to make that rumored date of the 18th.
So Atlanta is probably out for this tour.

I would be surprised if MW is dropped, it's probably gonna stay in the set now just like Vertigo.

2de2dccde3fe33915a022afb16b34367.gif

doubt it

MW was a one-night special. But I wouldn't be surprised to see it show up at night 2 in NY, London, etc.

doubt it

MW was a one-night special. But I wouldn't be surprised to see it show up at night 2 in NY, London, etc.

I hope not :|

MW is one of my least favourite songs of theirs, both on the album and live. Only version is enjoy is the one from Zootv with the prolonged solo with belly-dancer/wife of the edge.

So yeah, a bit late to this party / thread which is bouncing around on themes a bit, but for what it is worth:

Not sure how concert promoters look at the world, but if you look at tour stops in context of US Metropolitan Statistical Areas, most if not all of these additional shows make some sense.

Minneapolis 16; St Louis 20, KC 30, Indianapolis 34... so how deep does one go in the list before a market becomes "small" or too small for a tour stop? (For some more context, just added New Orleans is like 46th on this list)

And a mid-week show in a smaller market can sometimes become a bit of self-fulfilling prophecy... it's a smaller market so it will struggle to sell, and then struggle even more so because the show is on a Tuesday night versus a Friday or Saturday.

I'm thankful for another crack at a show, and ne I can drive to reasonably easy versus coughing up airfare.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

Hmm, the Phoenix article on u2.com doesn't say anything about "a final US tour stop".
U2 > News > Coming to Phoenix…
Adding to the flurry of new dates for The Joshua Tree Tour 2017, comes confirmation of a stop at the University of Phoenix Stadium.

But this is almost certainly the last one, right? Where could they reasonably go after San Diego and before Mexico City? Denver? San Antonio/Austin? All the way back to Atlanta?

i'm sure there's an empty field somewhere in far off Nova Scotia where they will wrap things up

Hmm, the Phoenix article on u2.com doesn't say anything about "a final US tour stop".

But this is almost certainly the last one, right? Where could they reasonably go after San Diego and before Mexico City? Denver? San Antonio/Austin? All the way back to Atlanta?
Vegas, baby

Probably no Atlanta because of issues with the readiness of the new stadium. Put Atlanta down for a couple E&I shows then!

YES!

The week of my birthday!

Going to SD on 09/22, now going to add my hometown on 09/19, what a week to be alive!

Tues, Sep 19 - Phoenix (Univ. of Phoenix Stadium)
Red Hill Group presale start - Tues, June 20, 10AM
Wires Group presale start - Wed, June 2,1 10AM
Presales end - Thur, June 22, 5PM
Public on sale - Fri, June 2,3 10AM

U2

So is this going to be the video shoot, or not?

"Live in Phoenix" isn't going to mean much to casual fans, and it's certainly not a world-renowned city. But the significance may be too great for the band to pass up.

I still feel like the only other possibility is New Orleans.

"Live in Phoenix" isn't going to mean much to casual fans, and it's certainly not a world-renowned city. But the significance may be too great for the band to pass up.

Yikes, can't be New Orleans. The 26,000 people scattered over half of the half of the stadium they are using will not be a good look....

There's still MetLife... and as they tend to choose venues that they play twice for video shoots, yea.

Looks like Phoenix/Glendale is the winner for Atlanta's stadium overruns. Which is awesome for me. I mean, part of me could be mad because I invested in San Diego tickets that I have to use being fan club pre-sale purchased tickets, but I also get that it wasn't necessarily the plan all along, that the Atlanta stadium mess had them with a date they had planned to play and no new stadium, so they pivoted.

I get to go to three shows on this tour now (LA, Phoenix/Glendale, San Diego).

As for people who may wonder "why not Sun Devil Stadium?" It is under construction, capacity has been reduced with the removal of valuable-for-a-concert end zone seats, and really, the stadium is a pit. When full, there is no room to maneuver the concourse, the toilets have problems, and the men's toilets are troughs, which suck for all kinds of reasons, the most notable being the inevitable stage fright that overtakes 25% of group pissers. What seemed to be a quicker way becomes so much slower...give a man a urinal and a splash wall that serves as a barrier to the next guy, and you move people through quicker.

SDS parking is also a pain. UoP is out in the middle of the West Valley and is a trek for most concert goers, especially dealing with I-10 East on a weeknight rush hour, but it will be a much easier get to/out/get a seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom