Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion II - Page 34 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > The Joshua Tree 2017 - Tour Central > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 05:01 PM   #496
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:02 AM
💩

Old 05-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #497
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:02 AM
Of course the setlist isn't perfect. I'd wager every one of us would have a different idea of an ideal setlist. That said, complain away about them dropping A Sort of Homecoming. It sounded great, and even the LA crowd was into it.

I will be hoping it returns tonight.

That said, setlist length is fine. They aren't Pearl Jam with 35 song setlists, but they never were. I/E was the exception because they didn't have an opener.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:48 PM   #498
The Fly

Local Time: 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Awake n AZ View Post
My vote:

I&E tour they designed a total show around it and played most of it...but they weren't sure anyone cared, so they played a lot of hits around it. Thus the sudden uptick of numbers.
And guys don't forget, I+E had no opening bands. Is having no Mumford and Sons, Lumineers or OneRepublic worth 2 or 3 U2 songs for you? Opinions may vary. But its not clear cut.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:33 PM   #499
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimearodriguez View Post
And guys don't forget, I+E had no opening bands. Is having no Mumford and Sons, Lumineers or OneRepublic worth 2 or 3 U2 songs for you? Opinions may vary. But its not clear cut.

Very good point. Now, I know the answer from most in here, but this tour was not a hardcore fan tour. This tour gives to both the hardcore and casual fan.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:33 PM   #500
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
There should be no "argument". That some people would like the set list to be longer (like the last tour) is not something that's up for debate. It's an opinion.

If someone says they think the set list is "short", it's not an argument. It's an o-p-i-n-i-o-n. And if they think it happens to be short in comparison to the last tour, they'd be right.

On the other hand, if someone here said this was U2's shortest set ever, or that it was considerably shorter than all their other tours, then that person would be wrong. But I didn't see anyone do that.

It would be more accurate to say that I&E was unusually long than that JT is short because this tour is normal whereas the last one wasn't and there was no reason to believe it would start a trend.

Crikey, the extent that people here get worked up about opinions they don't like is pretty startling (well, not startling. but still). The only people "arguing" were those who can't tolerate the opinions of others.

In any event, since no one said this was U2's shortest set ever, or shorter than most of their other tours (that I'm aware of) I don't see what the "argument" is.
Saying the set is an opinion that can be proven or disproven by statistics. And no, I can't tolerate opinions that ignore evidence that disproves them. It's a pet peeve.

Saying that it's short implies that it's unusual when it is not. Exclude the I&E outlier and since Zoo TV they have one 21 song tour and two 22 & 23 song tours.

It would be more accurate to say that I&E was unusually long than that JT is short because JT is within the average. I&E was 2.3 songs longer.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:38 PM   #501
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:02 AM
When I saw Springsteen I am sure I was more fucked than he was after three hours. This was several years ago. I still haven't hit 30.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:53 PM   #502
The Fly

Local Time: 03:02 PM
This tour has got a troubling sense of laziness to it so far. It's almost as if they are pacing themselves, playing it ultra safe and not wanting to give it everything on a sold out stadium tour.

Honestly I think we should start accepting the fact that we aren't going to be getting any shows longer than 22/23 songs during this tour. They've settled in nicely to their routine of songs all of which, they have been rehearsing.

It does still baffle me why they keep changing up the set list for the worse. Each show I am expecting them to rip into something different and give us a surprise but no, they go with cutting songs out!

The most realistic thing we can hope for is that they bring back ASOH, anything else at this stage is just unrealistic, as sad as it is to say.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:52 PM   #503
Blue Crack Supplier

All we know is that there will likely be changes when they get to Europe. Maybe they will give ASOH another chance there.

Hopefully not just in Dublin.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:58 PM   #504
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:02 AM
Please put Auckland first on the Pacific.

Please.

PLEASE.

HINT FUCKING HINT.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:37 AM   #505
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimearodriguez View Post

Having Noel Gallagher support in London and Dublin is a dream pairing for me so 21/22 plus maybe 10-12 Noel/oasis songs is perfect. U2 and oasis are my two favourite bands.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:11 AM   #506
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
this tour was not a hardcore fan tour
Not so sure about that.

Hardcore fans get:

-ASOH (for a while)
-Running to Stand Still
-Red Hill Mining Town
-In God's Country
-Trip Through Your Wires
-One Tree Hill
-Exit
-Mothers of the Disappeared
-Miss Sarajevo
-Ultraviolet
-A previously unreleased song

Casual fans get:

-Many of the same songs that have been played every single night since 2000, with none of the usual Rattle and Hum or HTDAAB hits, and only One from Achtung Baby

I'm not sure why a casual fan would buy tickets to this tour in particular, considering they could have heard Streets, ISHFWILF and WOWY at any tour ever. If anything, I feel like there are fewer hits being played than usual. There's what, 9 well known hits out of 21-22 songs? I would argue I+E hit a dozen on some nights. The second time I saw them on that tour, they played:

-Vertigo
-I Will Follow
-Sunday Bloody Sunday
-EBTTRT
-Mysterious Ways
-Elevation
-Stuck in a Moment
-Pride
-Beautiful Day
-With or Without You
-Streets
-ISHFWILF

Now that's a casual setlist.

Now.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:50 AM   #507
Blue Crack Distributor

If they're cutting Homecoming and only playing either Little Things or I Will Follow because the opener is playing 12 songs, then tell the fucking opener to play 10 songs.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:58 AM   #508
Refugee

Local Time: 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
If they're cutting Homecoming and only playing either Little Things or I Will Follow because the opener is playing 12 songs, then tell the fucking opener to play 10 songs.

And these US openers suck.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:15 AM   #509
Blue Crack Distributor

Also a valid point
Old 05-27-2017, 07:22 AM   #510
The Male

Watch the Lumineers support their forgettable second album that nobody heard, or get an extra twenty minutes of U2

Man, I dunno, this is tough

Now.
Closed Thread