Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your right TM shows most of stadium seating still available for Louisville show which is only 2 days away!!!

GA floor will be packed, while rest of stadium going to be very empty , very, very strange!

Looks pretty full to me. Your not gonna notice the empty seats come show time. It's not like Pittsburgh were sections in the upper tiers weren't sold. There really isn't any big sections unsold

The worst one of the new dates is the St. Louis one, floors sold but theres a lot of empty seats all over.

The other dates aren't that bad at all. Worst case scenario is some empty seats in the upper tiers

Yeah in all honesty the worst case scenario is that they'll have some shows that will have the same Treatment as Pittsburgh... curtained off areas in the upper deck. So senseless, though... they could've had people up there if they'd have just charged realistic prices.

oh my GOD. So I went to see how some other rock artists were doing on Ticketmaster. I thought, i would see how Arcade Fire was selling. I randomly picked New Orleans since U2 will be there as well. they are playing an arena there.
I looked and there were so many tickets available i didn't think they had gone on sale yet. But they had. It's crazy. I seriously think it's about 5-10% sold...

o8XdNRb.png

I just looked at Dallas to see if Louisiana was an anomoly, but it's the same way. Like maybe a few hundred tickets sold. WTF

Last edited:
oh my GOD. So I went to see how some other rock artists were doing on Ticketmaster. I thought, i would see how Arcade Fire was selling. I randomly picked New Orleans since U2 will be there as well. they are playing an arena there.
I looked and there were so many tickets available i didn't think they had gone on sale yet. But they had. It's crazy. I seriously think it's about 5-10% sold...

o8XdNRb.png

I just looked at Dallas to see if Louisiana was an anomoly, but it's the same way. Like maybe a few hundred tickets sold. WTF

Arcade Fire should not be playing arenas outside of NYC/LA/Chicago etc
chances are those arenas end up with the whole of the upper sections curtained off

one of the challenges is of course, in most cities there aren't 6-8000 seat venues; so the only options you have are arenas or sheds...

Apparently, we're getting the album sent to us if we bought a ticket. Or at least that's what happened when I bought my GA ticket for the St. Paul show.

To their credit the album isn't out yet, so when it's released there should be a bump in ticket sales.

Or course, I'm not entirely sure why they put tickets on sale without the album... Alas

The tour starts a little over a month after the album release. Ambitious booking of arenas, but only 1 NYC date thus far. Last tour saw 3 nights at Barclays which was overkill.

I'm not sure about it being a soft market. Springsteen was just here on his last tour. And all the major artists are selling out their shows in minutes here. I've tried for tickets four times this year for big artists and been shut out every time. Denver has a great history with U2. 360 did amazing. I'm always meeting fans from Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, New Mexico, Montana, The Dakotas at the Denver shows. It really is strange that KC got the show instead of us.

Local economy at a moment in time is as strong an indicator as past tours. Past tours attendance is a tool, but a kind of weak one if there was ever a strong show by the same band in the past. Economic factors are so much more relevant. For instance, everyone got hit by the mortgage/housing collapse in the US, but the "hardest hit" areas were NV, AZ, and FL and, to a lesser extent, CA and CO. A lot of entertainment and food businesses doing business in Arizona, a heavy housing/mortgage economy, got their asses handed to them from 2009 to 2013/14 or so.

Bands will play an arena with the upper deck unavailable if there are no theaters with that kind of capacity. The arenas in those markets are aware of that and advertise themselves as potential venues for 5,000/6,000 level tours. Half arena seating, like Bruce on Devils and Dust, or upper deck curtained off completely. Some newer theaters, like Phoenix's Comerica Theater (or whatever it is called now if not that) are able to be expanded or contracted to an extent to meet demand or intimacy.

So you're saying I got screwed by circumventing the public sale?

I bought pre-sale and got the album offer, although I almost missed the offer as it was in my junk mail tab.

Anyway, back to the JT tour...the email hasn't gone out yet but Mexico City 2 is official, it is on U2.com and TM Mexico, fan club presale is Friday.

Anyway, back to the JT tour...the email hasn't gone out yet but Mexico City 2 is official, it is on U2.com and TM Mexico, fan club presale is Friday.
No surprise there. Too bad there's not room for a 3rd show afterwards.

165 for uppers in SanDiego and it's currently the strongest selling show of the fall venues.
What mathematical formulas are you using to claim that San Diego is selling better than Minneapolis?

Because it's seemed rather obvious for the past 2-3 days that Minneapolis has been by far the strongest selling US September show.

Last edited:

What mathematical formulas are you using to claim that San Diego is selling better than Minneapolis?

Because it's seemed rather obvious for the past 2-3 days that Minneapolis has been by far the strongest selling US September show.

Minneapolis is by far the best seller. It's nearly sold out. San Diego has plenty of space in the side upper tiers and a handful of tickets left in the lower tiers

From looking at the maps

Detroit -can't tell

Buffalo- whole bottom tier is nearly sold, upper tiers have plenty of space ( Pittsburgh)

Minneapolis- practically sold out apart from a handful of seats in the upper tier

Indianapolis- lower bowl is nearly sold out as is the upper block facing the stage. Plenty of space in the side upper tiers (Pittsburgh)

Kansas City - lower bowl and upper tier facing the stage practically sold. Front of the upper tiers have a lot sold but there's plenty of space at the back of the two side tiers ( Pittsburgh)

San Diego as the others but with abit more availability in the lower tier

All of these gigs come show time will look full and have a really good attendance. Apart from some empty seats in the upper side tiers.similar to Pittsburgh

St. Louis is the one to worry about. Standing is sold out and so is the stand facing the stage but the lower tiers on the side have a lot of gaps and the upper tiers have plenty of space. This will be the one gig that looks empty If they don't shift more tickets.you can get away with some blocks empty in the gods but when there in the lower tier it's a lot harder. May have to relocate a lot of people just to make it look better. Close the whole upper sections off and the lower tier might be full

Last edited:
Detroit -can't tell

You have to go through the Detroit map section by section, and even then, you get different results depending on whether you select 1 or 2 (or more) seats.

Spent a few minutes trying, and here's what I think I know:

-first of all, some $35 tickets popped up in the middle of me looking. They were just 2 separate singles in different upper level sections, and last I looked, they were gone. But just to put things in perspective, stuff like that was happening, despite the cheap seats being long gone a few days ago. (So file this post under "as near as I can tell".)

-GAs are available right now. They've been available on and off the last few days, more off than on. But they're there again right now. But as of the last time I looked, there were no actual seats available in the $70 range. (Or $35 anymore for that matter.)

-Now here's some actual useful information. It looks like there are only about 150 seats left in the $290 price range, mostly just in 2 small sections of the middle level. If that's all that are actually left, they should be able to sell all of those by September.

-The entire lower level maybe has somewhere in the range of 100 seats left. (Mostly in the 165 and 100 price ranges.) So the lower level should be packed full for the show.

-Middle level still has a fair amount of tickets left, but once those lower level tickets sell out, the middle level ones should go fast enough. Or at least be almost all gone by September.

-Some of the upper level sections in the 165 or 100 price ranges have nearly full availabilty still. (But others have sold out, so there you go.) I didn't bother to click on every single section, so I can't be any more detailed than that.

Bottom line: lots of tickets have sold, so on September 3 there won't be any need to migrate folks from the cheap seats down to fill the lower levels. The encouraging sign is how few $290 seats are left.

Just looked at some of the shows. WHY are some of the upper level tickets over $100? This is Kansas City and St. Louis, you're not going to sell those! Make the better seats in the upper level $70, and the majority of them $35, and you'll at least get people in there. Pure greed and stupidity to ask $165 for an upper level seat.

I'm lucky that U2 charge only $70 for floor tickets, because I'm not sure I'd pay for anything else! I'm going to be getting tickets to the Indianapolis show eventually (no hurry, I don't think it'll sell out). I'd like to get seats just to have a different perspective, I almost ALWAYS get floor tickets for U2, but I really don't want to pay for anything else. Maybe I'll buy some of the cheap upper level tickets and then they'll move me closer to the stage when they block that section off?

So true. The bridges at MSG were $35. Could see their facial expressions and had a perfect view of the entire stage.

Same distance away at MetLife is $280. $35 will get you all the way opposite the stage, upper level. It's disgusting really. Also, the prices in 2015 were $35, $70, $100, $280. No $165 seats.

Shame really. Has O$eary ever been to a concert at a football stadium before?

Twitter seems to tell me that Argentina has sold out in a few hours.

The ticket site for the Colombia show seems to only have obstructed view seating left.

If Argentina is indeed sold out, the announcement for show #2 should be coming sometime tomorrow.

So true. The bridges at MSG were $35. Could see their facial expressions and had a perfect view of the entire stage.

Same distance away at MetLife is $280. $35 will get you all the way opposite the stage, upper level. It's disgusting really. Also, the prices in 2015 were $35, $70, $100, $280. No $165 seats.

Shame really. Has O$eary ever been to a concert at a football stadium before?
When the band made seemingly greedy decisions in the past, it was McGuinne$$. Now it's O$eary.

When will people realize it's simply U2$?

Looking at the availability map for Indy, it looks like they may not have sold the sections on the sides closest to the stage at all, or the balcony shown on the bottom - because it isn't even showing any singles or red (verified re-sale).

I'm just happy they didn't do it at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway like the Stones did last year. They sold 55,000 for that, but a concert on flat ground means that nobody can see the stage, unless they are right up front (or the handicapped people, who were on a raised platform!).

Here is Indy as of right now:

2StjNP9.jpg

Looking at the availability map for Indy, it looks like they may not have sold the sections on the sides closest to the stage at all, or the balcony shown on the bottom - because it isn't even showing any singles or red (verified re-sale).

I'm just happy they didn't do it at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway like the Stones did last year. They sold 55,000 for that, but a concert on flat ground means that nobody can see the stage, unless they are right up front (or the handicapped people, who were on a raised platform!).

2StjNP9.jpg

I just looked at the map and it had that upper balcony full of seats. Some sold, some red dots, lots of blue dots.... basically looks like the opposite balcony. Not sure why it looks like that for you. Maybe those seats closer to the stage were bought by actual fans, as scalpers stayed away from the $290 tickets, knowing they'd be tough to get rid of. I think this show will be the same as Pittsburgh... have some upper sections tarped off, but still be in the 40K range for attendance.

I need to pull the trigger on Indy tickets soon, before the floor tickets are gone. These tickets just went onsale at a very poor time for me, financially speaking. Next month I will be alright, just have some LARGE bills that need to be paid in the month of June (gotta love PROPERTY TAXES!!!).

I just looked at the map and it had that upper balcony full of seats. Some sold, some red dots, lots of blue dots.... basically looks like the opposite balcony. Not sure why it looks like that for you. Maybe those seats closer to the stage were bought by actual fans, as scalpers stayed away from the $290 tickets, knowing they'd be tough to get rid of. I think this show will be the same as Pittsburgh... have some upper sections tarped off, but still be in the 40K range for attendance.

I need to pull the trigger on Indy tickets soon, before the floor tickets are gone. These tickets just went onsale at a very poor time for me, financially speaking. Next month I will be alright, just have some LARGE bills that need to be paid in the month of June (gotta love PROPERTY TAXES!!!).

That's what credit cards are for!

Agree with above re Stones @ IMS; it was a bit of a cluster; I had silver zone tix and luckily friends had gotten their early enough to be on the barrier there, we had a great view but I hated the venue (and the support!)
IMS wants to hold a country festival there starting next year with a capacity of up to 80k....

That's what credit cards are for!

Agree with above re Stones @ IMS; it was a bit of a cluster; I had silver zone tix and luckily friends had gotten their early enough to be on the barrier there, we had a great view but I hated the venue (and the support!)
IMS wants to hold a country festival there starting next year with a capacity of up to 80k....

We were about 2 blankets from the barrier at the front of silver zone, but once the show started everyone stuffed in in front of us and nobody could see the stage unless they were on someone else's shoulders. Still a great concert, but would have been better in the Luke.

I noticed Coldplay are touring American stadiums in august and a few of them are the same as the ones u2 are doing. The GA is seated. But just having a quick look at the same stadium ones there's loads of tickets left all over the place, apart from maybe Miami.

Ticket only been on sale since Monday the 12th June and sept 10 is around 3 months away I predict this show at Lucas will be closer to a sell out ! I bought my tickets. The day of public sale got seats in section 300 just to be safe!!!
I'm doing GA floor in Louisville June 16!

2StjNP9.jpg

My guess is they are doing what they did in Tampa, which is to leave those upper and lower side sections out of the initial sale. Once they sell enough tickets in the main area, they will put the side (obstructed view) sections on sale to bring in a little bit more sales at the end.
All in all, the sales dont look bad at all. We'll see how it progresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom