Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All of this. I would start to get excited for a possible Phoenix show if the rumors of the new shows with delayed announcements for New Orleans and Atlanta filling the gap had not been right on the money so far. It seems clear Atlanta is going to get that spot.

I have already bought SD tickets. But I would be thrilled to see it here. Under the dome in UoP.

They have a 3 day window where they could play UofP. This should be easy. Considering the leaked dates didn't include Glendale AND were spot-on, that's bad news. I just wish I knew who to pin the blame on.

If they want to back track to Atlanta and then go all the way to California. Fine, let 'em.

I'd rather spend a few days in San Diego anyways.

I would think that they could sell more tickets for this current tour in Denver and Phoenix than they would in KC, St.Louis, Indy, Buffalo, even though they got I&E shows. I think part of Denver's poor IE sales had to do partly with the fact that they didn't go on sale when all the other shows did, and that they didn't use Ticketmaster.

I'd be happy to spend a couple days in SD (have my tickets, so I am going) AND see a mid-week show.

I have tickets for Frank Turner and Jason Isbell in Tucson that Wednesday night. I am really not looking forward to driving down (for my daughter's sake) then coming home, working Thursday, then leaving for SD Thursday night. A Wednesday Glendale show would allow me to distract her from Frank Turner and take her to see U2, which would interest her (she is 16).

I'd be happy to spend a couple days in SD (have my tickets, so I am going) AND see a mid-week show.

I have tickets for Frank Turner and Jason Isbell in Tucson that Wednesday night. I am really not looking forward to driving down (for my daughter's sake) then coming home, working Thursday, then leaving for SD Thursday night. A Wednesday Glendale show would allow me to distract her from Frank Turner and take her to see U2, which would interest her (she is 16).
Would love for that to happen, see them in Glendale Wednesday, leave Thursday for SD, see them Friday night with the tickets I already have. Spend the rest of the weekend chilling in Balboa/SD Zoo with the kiddos. That would be a nice week for me.

All of this. I would start to get excited for a possible Phoenix show if the rumors of the new shows with delayed announcements for New Orleans and Atlanta filling the gap had not been right on the money so far. It seems clear Atlanta is going to get that spot.

I have already bought SD tickets. But I would be thrilled to see it here. Under the dome in UoP.
Where did those rumors come from re: NO and Atlanta?

I would think that they could sell more tickets for this current tour in Denver and Phoenix than they would in KC, St.Louis, Indy, Buffalo, even though they got I&E shows. I think part of Denver's poor IE sales had to do partly with the fact that they didn't go on sale when all the other shows did, and that they didn't use Ticketmaster.

For some reason more and more bands are skipping Denver, it's becoming a very soft market;
Springsteen took a bath there in 03 with a stadium show then skipped the city completely on his next band tour (Magic 07-08).
Denver's problem is there aren't any other decent size cities around to draw from;
Buffalo can draw from Toronto, Indy from Ohio and Chicago;
I am surprised they are doing both KC & STL tho; I suspect KC could well end up being the least attended for that very reason.
How did the 360 show do in Denver?

For some reason more and more bands are skipping Denver, it's becoming a very soft market;
Springsteen took a bath there in 03 with a stadium show then skipped the city completely on his next band tour (Magic 07-08).
Denver's problem is there aren't any other decent size cities around to draw from;
I am surprised they are doing both KC & STL tho; I suspect KC could well end up being the least attended for that very reason.

360 in Denver did extremely well. 77,918 people in attendance, per Billboard. Going all the way back, U2 have always done well in Denver. Even during the Boy Tour, they sold out a small music hall and had to add a 2nd show at a later date. The only exception is Popmart, but that was the case all across the US. That's why it was so surprising when U2 came up short in Denver for 2015.

I'm not sure about it being a soft market. Springsteen was just here on his last tour. And all the major artists are selling out their shows in minutes here. I've tried for tickets four times this year for big artists and been shut out every time. Denver has a great history with U2. 360 did amazing. I'm always meeting fans from Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, New Mexico, Montana, The Dakotas at the Denver shows. It really is strange that KC got the show instead of us.

Yep, that's it. They waited to announce. I had friends who would have come to Denver first, but ended up in other cities because they thought Denver was a no-go.

I'm not sure about it being a soft market. Springsteen was just here on his last tour. And all the major artists are selling out their shows in minutes here. I've tried for tickets four times this year for big artists and been shut out every time. Denver has a great history with U2. 360 did amazing. I'm always meeting fans from Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, New Mexico, Montana, The Dakotas at the Denver shows. It really is strange that KC got the show instead of us.

The last couple of Springsteen tours have sold poorly there tho; I had friends who couldn't give away GA tickets on the last tour...
I'm assuming it's Live Nation that made the call on this and clearly believed they could move more tix in KC than Denver...

The last couple of Springsteen tours have sold poorly there tho; I had friends who couldn't give away GA tickets on the last tour...

I'm assuming it's Live Nation that made the call on this and clearly believed they could move more tix in KC than Denver...

I believe it about Springsteen. I grew up here in Denver and I don't know any Springsteen fans. Alot of U2 lovers here though. I agree it's gotta be Live Nation making the decisions. No Phoenix is still mind boggling though.

How have the South American ticket sales gone? Not heard nothing about them

So I did a little digging. In 2015 the Rolling Stones played to 54,000-ish at Heinz Field, with an end stage similar to U2's. Capacity can vary from show to show, but I think it's safe to say U2 COULD have sold at least 10,000 more tickets for Pittsburgh. U2 themselves did 55,000+ at the same venue in 2011.

It'll be interesting to see how many people are at at the Louisville show.

How have the South American ticket sales gone? Not heard nothing about them

Saw a report last night that Colombia had very strong presales and there wouldn't be many left for the general on-sale. I guess we'll see tomorrow how true that was.

It'll be interesting to see how many people are at at the Louisville show.

Considering that the stadium in Louisville is more than 10,000 people smaller than Heinz Field, I think it's safe to assume that the Louisvlle number will be the smallest on this leg of the tour. Probably by a significant margin.

From looking at U2.com, it appears that Mexico goes on sale today, Chile and Colombia go on sale tomorrow, and Argentina and Brazil go on sale late tomorrow night.

Just looked at some of the shows. WHY are some of the upper level tickets over $100? This is Kansas City and St. Louis, you're not going to sell those! Make the better seats in the upper level $70, and the majority of them $35, and you'll at least get people in there. Pure greed and stupidity to ask $165 for an upper level seat.

I'm lucky that U2 charge only $70 for floor tickets, because I'm not sure I'd pay for anything else! I'm going to be getting tickets to the Indianapolis show eventually (no hurry, I don't think it'll sell out). I'd like to get seats just to have a different perspective, I almost ALWAYS get floor tickets for U2, but I really don't want to pay for anything else. Maybe I'll buy some of the cheap upper level tickets and then they'll move me closer to the stage when they block that section off?

Just looked at some of the shows. WHY are some of the upper level tickets over $100? This is Kansas City and St. Louis, you're not going to sell those! Make the better seats in the upper level $70, and the majority of them $35, and you'll at least get people in there. Pure greed and stupidity to ask $165 for an upper level seat.

Something's gotta subsidize the GAs and pay for that screen and setting it up, I guess? :huh:

Still beats the $290+ upper level seats they had for the arena shows two years ago. Yet again, fewer seats in that situation as compared to a stadium, so who knows...

Considering that the stadium in Louisville is more than 10,000 people smaller than Heinz Field, I think it's safe to assume that the Louisvlle number will be the smallest on this leg of the tour. Probably by a significant margin.

True about capacity; however, Louisville has one end that is completely open, so that will reduce the impact the staging has on capacity;
My guess is they 'could' sell around 47-50,000 tix for Louisville, but I'll be surprised if it's as full as Pittsburgh
I still suspect KC will have the most 'empty seats' and be a contender for least attended

Yeah, the pricing is a little odd. I think they could have just charged 70 across the board on upper level tickets in softer markets, 35 for obstructed view. Then 100-120 in the larger metro markets, with 50 for obstructed. and they would have sold more, with a similar avg. price.
Obviously they are pricing tickets differently for different markets, and they do know what they are doing. 165 for uppers in SanDiego and it's currently the strongest selling show of the fall venues.
But for these other odd places, you would think they would like to get butts in the seats to buy merch, so keeping the prices under 100 would be beneficial.

True about capacity; however, Louisville has one end that is completely open, so that will reduce the impact the staging has on capacity;
My guess is they 'could' sell around 47-50,000 tix for Louisville, but I'll be surprised if it's as full as Pittsburgh
I still suspect KC will have the most 'empty seats' and be a contender for least attended

Hard to say. It looks like there are only about 2600 tickets left for KY. Floor is sold out. They pulled over 41k for Pittsburgh. I think it will be really close to this number, and will look pretty full. Unless they haven't even sold certain areas of the upper sections, but it doesn't look that way on the TM map.

I think your right TM shows most of stadium seating still available for Louisville show which is only 2 days away!!!
GA floor will be packed, while rest of stadium going to be very empty , very, very strange!

I think your right TM shows most of stadium seating still available for Louisville show which is only 2 days away!!!
GA floor will be packed, while rest of stadium going to be very empty , very, very strange!

There's about 2,600 reserved seats available (excluding resale tix), that is hardly what I'd call " very empty".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom