Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol:

They really hit the Midwest market heavy. I don't get it. :shrug:

Part of me thinks that are hitting these markets because they think it will bring out the older, more casual fan that might not be as engaged or excited to see a tour of the newer material. So they get 40 thousand or so people to see them in these softer markets now, and when they come back in 18 or 19 with SOE in arenas, they don't worry about Kansas City, Louisville, St. Louis, etc...

KC with 7,341 available reserved seats and lots of GA as well.

These aren't terrible numbers for being on sale half a day right? KY still has over 3000 reserved for sale and they have been on sale for 6 months.
If they drop that reserved number by half and end up selling almost all the GA's, they will be playing to at least 40 thousand people.

I love how people bitch and moan when the tour schedule concentrates on the big 4 (NY, Boston, LA, Chicago) but when they get out to other markets and they don't sell well wonder why the band is playing there.

As for Phoenix/Tempe, I think it probably has to do with the timing and being outdoors, it's damn hot there even in May and September!

As for Phoenix/Tempe, I think it probably has to do with the timing and being outdoors, it's damn hot there even in May and September!

Except U of Phoenix Stadium where the Cardinals play has a roof and AC.

And Cards' home opener is Monday 9/25, so Phoenix could slot in nicely between St Louis and San Diego.

Last edited:
Part of me thinks that are hitting these markets because they think it will bring out the older, more casual fan that might not be as engaged or excited to see a tour of the newer material. So they get 40 thousand or so people to see them in these softer markets now, and when they come back in 18 or 19 with SOE in arenas, they don't worry about Kansas City, Louisville, St. Louis, etc...

Re-engaging fans who may have missed the last few tours is critical, and contrary to some popular belief, fans in some of these cities who go to this tour, will be more likely, not less, to go to a new tour if it rolls into town

Just got this in a Captcha. Because when you think of environmental preservation......

ahOj7xC.jpg

I honestly think Bono really wanted to bring this tour to Trump voters. That's the only thing I can think or to explain some of these choices

I was thinking the same thing.

Foxboro (the show nearest me) sold out so quickly and always do so I didn't really try. But there are still GAs available for Buffalo as we speak. I'm going to be in seats because I'm going with a casual who has no interest in GA. But I made her get tickets right at 10 and there are a TON left. And we all know what happened with my other show, Pittsburgh. Maybe it's me...

I was thinking the same thing.

Foxboro (the show nearest me) sold out so quickly and always do so I didn't really try. But there are still GAs available for Buffalo as we speak. I'm going to be in seats because I'm going with a casual who has no interest in GA. But I made her get tickets right at 10 and there are a TON left. And we all know what happened with my other show, Pittsburgh. Maybe it's me...

Either way, Buffalo, in my experience, is one of the best places to see a U2 show. They rarely go there so there's a special type of buzz in the air. The locals are super friendly as well. When I went in 01 they switched up the setlist as well.

Have fun!

Either way, Buffalo, in my experience, is one of the best places to see a U2 show. They rarely go there so there's a special type of buzz in the air. The locals are super friendly as well. When I went in 01 they switched up the setlist as well.

Have fun!

Good to know. Thanks! I've been to the city a bunch, but have never seen a show.

Detroit GA sold out, and from what I can tell, also Minneapolis GA

Oh, I know other cities where GA sold out. I was talking complete sellout. Nothing that isn't resale available for San Diego. I'm glad I decided to do the presale for that one. :up:

ETA, nevermind I'm pulling up $100 seats. :lol:

I don't know anybody who couldn't pull what they wanted this morning at any show; and that includes San Diego;
I'm guessing the lowest attendance they'll get for any of these shows will be around the 40k mark, which is still pretty good for mostly secondary markets

Okay, just logged on again after 6 hours, and I just took a look at all the maps.

Congratulations to Minneapolis for seemingly being by far the best seller.

These cities were never going to sell out. Actually, I think for the most part it's going about as well as expected. They should have made ALL the upper level tickets $35, then they might have gotten sold today. Buffalo, Indianapolis, KC, St. Louis and New Orleans will all be situations like they had in Pittsburgh, with sections in the upper decks tarped off. If they don't mind that, more power to them. They're still probably going to do over 40K in all these cities, so we won't Popmart like disasters. They put these shows onsale knowing that was going to happen, I don't think they care. This tour seems like it would have a considerably lower production costs than 360 or even Popmart, so only pulling 40K in Indianapolis is not that big of a deal.

I am surprised they added cities that have done poorly on past tours. It seems San Diego is not as bad as they did during PopMart and Zoo TV. I don't understand how they would have $160 tickets all the way to the last level of the stadium. Bands usually charge less than $100 for those, right? Then again bands normally have the most expensive tickets down at the floor while U2 has the 2nd cheapest tickets down there. A bit challenging but hopefully all these new dates sell out.

Oh well, got my $125 Club Level tickets :up: .

if the shows were never going to sell out, why couldn't they have just played some baseball stadiums instead? just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. i'd venture to guess that none of these second and third tier markets will even sniff a SOE show.

if i were a betting man, which i am, e/i will be very similar to i/e... New York, Boston, Chicago, LA, Toronto, Montreal, SF/SJ/Oakland... and then maybe a few additional major markets who didn't get played last time... DC, Philly, Vegas instead of Phoenix... and that's about it. Cities that they know they'll be able to sell out multiple shows if they wanted to without issue, and a couple of lesser major markets tagged on.

if i were a betting man, which i am, e/i will be very similar to i/e... New York, Boston, Chicago, LA, Toronto, Montreal, SF/SJ/Oakland... and then maybe a few additional major markets who didn't get played last time... DC, Philly, Vegas instead of Phoenix... and that's about it.
If Atlanta doesn't get a JT30 show added in the next few weeks, they should be an obvious stop on the E+I tour, assuming arena availability.

Among the places where the JT tour seemed to sell out quickly enough (not counting the superbig spots where they could play 4 or more nights, the obvious and automatic stops on any tour), I think the top candidates for E+I are Philly, Miami, and DC, with places like Seattle and Dallas also in with a shot.

Yeah, its all a little strange on the choices of stops, especially on this second part of the tour. I would think that Buffalo would be selling a little better. Would think it would be pulling in Toronto folks, which is a huge U2 market.

Would love to see an interactive map of Minneapolis. I would guess it would sell well, but can't tell at this point.

Looking like most stops have around 7000 or so tickets left, not counting available GA's.
SanDiego, Detroit and MN are probably gonna be the best sellers on these fall shows.

I think the monstrosity of a screen may make baseball stadia during the season a no go, fear of damaging fields etc. with little time to repair.

Plus baseball parks mostly suck as concert venues.
Yea, but they did 360 in a couple of baseball stadiums, so they certainly could have done this one... especially in smaller markets.

Eh, whatever.

Except U of Phoenix Stadium where the Cardinals play has a roof and AC.

And Cards' home opener is Monday 9/25, so Phoenix could slot in nicely between St Louis and San Diego.

All of this. I would start to get excited for a possible Phoenix show if the rumors of the new shows with delayed announcements for New Orleans and Atlanta filling the gap had not been right on the money so far. It seems clear Atlanta is going to get that spot.

I have already bought SD tickets. But I would be thrilled to see it here. Under the dome in UoP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom