Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes to routing a tour,live nation has the upper hand over the band members.

So yeah,logic will prevail for the SOE tour.A third visit in 4 years (actually a 4th visit in 4 years if you separate the 2 legs of this year JT tour)in North America can't happen before fall 2018.

Last edited:
Not exactly sure they're going to kill themselves on an extensive arena tour in the US after enough people were willing to travel to the regional residencies of I+e.

So what would an Experience & Innocence 2018 leg look like in North America? Here's what I think, based on what got a bunch of shows in 2015 and the 2017 dry milking.

Edmonton x2
Winnipeg x2
Ottawa
Quebec City x2
Boston x2
Hartford or Albany
NYC x2
Philadelphia
Washington D.C.
Raleigh / Charlotte (assuming the bathroom situation gets resolved)
Miami- should be good for 1 show
Atlanta- 2 shows if nothing added for 2017. 1 show if they do add it Atlanta in 2017.
Nashville or Memphis
Columbus- PLEASE! I know it was on the original schedule for 2017, please stick to it!
Milwaukee
Chicago x2
Omaha or Des Moines
Tulsa or Oklahoma City
New Orleans
Texas x2 (San Antonio probably, and then either Dallas or Houston)
Las Vegas x2
Los Angeles x2
Sacramento- brand new arena
Portland
Salt Lake City

Still quite a few possibilities, more than I thought there would be.

I would be shocked if it looked anything like this. I think they're okay with single nights for big stadium shows, but if they go back to arenas, it'll be almost all multi-nighters like I+E:

Chicago x4
NY x6
Detroit x2
LA x5
Phoenix x2
etc
Hartford
Albany
Columbus
Oklahoma City

May not be anything but a Rolling Stone article from today twice mentions Beck opening for U2 on 7 dates but the headline of the article says nine dates. Maybe a mistake or maybe 2 more dates or cities to come in NA.

May not be anything but a Rolling Stone article from today twice mentions Beck opening for U2 on 7 dates but the headline of the article says nine dates. Maybe a mistake or maybe 2 more dates or cities to come in NA.

Definitely still time to sort out the Atlanta stadium situation, and add in New Orleans or Phoenix or whatever else.

Like I mentioned earlier, unlike previous concert announcements from U2.com, this latest made absolutely no mention of these being the final dates added for this leg or the tour in general.

So what would an Experience & Innocence 2018 leg look like in North America? Here's what I think, based on what got a bunch of shows in 2015 and the 2017 dry milking.

You're close:

Vancouver
Los Angeles
Kansas City
Joplin x2
Independence
St Louis
Jefferson City
Branson
Chesterfield
Florissant
Moberly
Nixa
Webb City
Chicago
New York

I would be shocked if it looked anything like this. I think they're okay with single nights for big stadium shows, but if they go back to arenas, it'll be almost all multi-nighters like I+E:

Chicago x4
NY x6
Detroit x2
LA x5
Phoenix x2
etc
Hartford
Albany
Columbus
Oklahoma City

But Columbus was on the 2017 I&E schedule! DON'T RUIN MY DREAMS OF HAVING U2 PLAY IN MY HOMETOWN AGAIN!!!! :D

Would they play 2 shows in Detroit again, after playing Ford Field this year? This JT Tour, while hugely successful, is screwing everything up for the E&I Tour!!!

Would they play 2 shows in Detroit again, after playing Ford Field this year?
Why not? Would they go to Dallas next year after playing there this year? Of course. I'm sure they could sell out 2 arena shows in Dallas. (Not saying they will, but if they wanted to, they could.) Unless ticket sales for Detroit in September are slow, I certainly wouldn't rule a Detroit return out. Hopefully other places that didn't get a visit on the I+E tour too, like Atlanta or Florida. They've played multiple nights in the past in places like that, so why not again. (And wherever else too of course.)

Now, I'm assuming U2 sticks with the multiple nights plan. It's possible that they talked themselves into that scenario last time around on the assumption that they'd have different setlists on different nights (lololololol). Maybe if they give up on that notion early enough this time, they'll be more interested in having more stops on the tour and fewer "residencies".

Possible. But for now I'll assume that E+I will look like I+E.

This JT Tour, while hugely successful, is screwing everything up for the E&I Tour!!!
Well let's be honest here, it would be a surprise if E+I was musically superior to JT30. Visually, it may be, and hopefully superior from a setlist variation standpoint too. But for just pure music, a pure concert, it's unlikely E+I will be able to live up to JT30.
(Unless you're not a Joshua Tree fan, in which case, well, to each their own.)

Now, I'm assuming U2 sticks with the multiple nights plan. It's possible that they talked themselves into that scenario last time around on the assumption that they'd have different setlists on different nights (lololololol). Maybe if they give up on that notion early enough this time, they'll be more interested in having more stops on the tour and fewer "residencies".

I've heard other veteran acts talk about the possibility of playing more "residencies' or multiple dates for the sake of making it easier on their part, which I'm guessing has to do with the grind of travel at their age rather than set considerations and that sort of thing.

Speaking selfishly, I'd take another 8 nights at MSG. Speaking practically, that makes more sense than adding single nights in Philly and Hartford.

I've heard other veteran acts talk about the possibility of playing more "residencies' or multiple dates for the sake of making it easier on their part, which I'm guessing has to do with the grind of travel at their age rather than set considerations and that sort of thing.
No doubt that's the main reason, but I'm just wondering if they justified it in their heads with the multiple setlists thing.

But yeah, all else being equal, it's obviously far easier on the boys (and the crew and therefore probably the bottom line too) to do 36 shows in 10 cities than 36 shows in 30 cities.

Speaking selfishly, I'd take another 8 nights at MSG. Speaking practically, that makes more sense than adding single nights in Philly and Hartford.
Logically, if it is a pretty similar schedule to I+E, you'd think they'd at least throw a few different cities in there. Maybe rotate in the likes of Dallas, Philly, DC, Atlanta, etc.

They certainly can't play the exact same cities as last time.

There are no venues on hold. They'd wanna get a move on.
Yeah there were strong rumours at the start of the year about venues being booked. Someone even spoke to a Live Nation rep who said "end of year or early 2018" but since then all went quiet. Then last week as the article says, the Australian promoter said nothing is booked and we have to "agitate" to get the band here. It's not entirely too late (360 came in December, was announced in August) but they'd want to get a move on.

Logically, if it is a pretty similar schedule to I+E, you'd think they'd at least throw a few different cities in there. Maybe rotate in the likes of Dallas, Philly, DC, Atlanta, etc.

They certainly can't play the exact same cities as last time.

They could do most of them. Easy repeat business of multiple nights in Boston, Chicago, LA and NYC. They're hitting a fair amount of "tier 2" markets this tour already in larger venues. Unless SOE has a Vertigo-type of moment with a single popular and everywhere (doubtfully repeatable in the current media landscape), there isn't much financial reason to move from the comfort zone.

Does anyone think the original plan for the I+E tour might have been to tour NA and Europe as they did in 2015. Then release the companion album in early 2016 and tour NA and Europe again, but focusing on different cities and less multiple night stands? After that they could have gone to SA and down under to close it out.

(nothing wrong with more than 12 shows for EU though...)

I can't fucking comprehend what goes through your mind. Well done, this is probably the worst take in this thread so far.

Well let's be honest here, it would be a surprise if E+I was musically superior to JT30. Visually, it may be, and hopefully superior from a setlist variation standpoint too. But for just pure music, a pure concert, it's unlikely E+I will be able to live up to JT30.
(Unless you're not a Joshua Tree fan, in which case, well, to each their own.)

And this is exactly why I want JT30 rather than IE/EI to come down here.

Yeah there were strong rumours at the start of the year about venues being booked. Someone even spoke to a Live Nation rep who said "end of year or early 2018" but since then all went quiet. Then last week as the article says, the Australian promoter said nothing is booked and we have to "agitate" to get the band here. It's not entirely too late (360 came in December, was announced in August) but they'd want to get a move on.

Yeah it's frustrating how quiet this has gone, which makes it all the more weird that I got a tip-off that Subiaco in Perth is on hold for November. I now do not think that is accurate though.

They should just build their own venue in Dublin that holds 25k or so and play once a month for the rest of their lives, spending​ the rest of the time recording and remembering how to play songs from Pop

One venue in Dublin, one in Malibu, one in Nice, so that the monthly shows can fit around their holiday home schedule.

Does anyone think the original plan for the I+E tour might have been to tour NA and Europe as they did in 2015. Then release the companion album in early 2016 and tour NA and Europe again, but focusing on different cities and less multiple night stands? After that they could have gone to SA and down under to close it out.
There's little doubt that what we're getting right this second (and in the case of SOE, still not getting) was not their original plan.

On the plus side, they've managed to adapt and give us something incredible anyway.

And this is exactly why I want JT30 rather than IE/EI to come down here.
No doubt. There are still a few folks who are a bit bent out of shape about U2 being old or doing a nostalgia tour or whatever, but they need to open their ears and get on board, because this concert is glorious!

It might not be as visually jaw-dropping as ZooTV or 360, but if you're somebody who, you know, likes U2's music, this concert is a gift from the heavens.
One venue in Dublin, one in Malibu, one in Nice, so that the monthly shows can fit around their holiday home schedule.
lol, time to bring up the idea of U2 doing nightly shows in Vegas or Branson

lol, time to bring up the idea of U2 doing nightly shows in Vegas or Branson

Sorry pally, they'll be playing Bronson, Missouri.

images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom