Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So U2 are going to play a second US stadium leg, playing only secondary markets and AGAIN missing the Southwest?

Yea, I don't buy this schedule at all

I don't know, why would you make up a schedule like this? If you wanted to pass off a bullshit schedule, you'd make sure it had Phoenix, Las Vegas, and some random New Mexico date or something.

Hey, Aussies, I've got a new source saying that U2 have booked Subiaco in Perth for November.

As I say it's a new source so I can't vouch for their reliability, but they're fairly confident.
Hmm wonder if adelaide would miss out again.

Yep. I can't wait for U2 touring their album that was inspired by the Southwest deserts having their show from New fucking Jersey released.

Same here. Can't imagine them printing "New Jersey" on an actual release artwork cover. Also don't see them being misleading and calling it "Live in New York".

Then again, they could bring out Bruce as a guest and this would make it worth it.

I don't know, why would you make up a schedule like this? If you wanted to pass off a bullshit schedule, you'd make sure it had Phoenix, Las Vegas, and some random New Mexico date or something.
That's fair... but it still doesn't make any sense.

And that they wouldn't go back and play Vegas in the fall is baffling and makes zero sense, especially as the backdrop to the stage would look like the images in the screen

The listed capacity of the renovated Olympic Stadium/Turner Field is 23,000. One whole side of the stadium is going to be 1 lower bowl of rows only. I'm going to add a spoiler tag since I don't know how large the picture will end up being.

newsEngin.17728985_Georgia-State-Football-Day-Rendering-Fall-2016.jpg

The first football game will be on 8/31.

On top of that:
The distance between New Orleans and Atlanta is 500 miles
The distance between Kansas City and St Louis is 250 miles

The heartland is represented too much.

To bypass Glendale/Denver on the first go around is one thing, but to do it on the second too is mind boggling.

I live in Atlanta. I don't know who thinks they would play at the renovated Turner Field. Aside from only having 23,000 seats, I don't think the stage would fit in there.

The Falcons have a brand new 76,000 seat stadium opening in August. If they play here that is most likely where it will be:

Mercedes-Benz Stadium | Official Home of Atlanta Falcons & United FC

Last edited:
Buffalo is the only show in the Northeast, so it will pull fans from NYC, Boston and all over.
I'm not entirely sure I believe that exact list, because it sure doesn't feel balanced, but if it's true, I'd like to add to the above. Not only would Buffalo get some fans from NYC, but both Detroit and Buffalo would draw fans from Ontario too. Buffalo is far closer to Toronto than Boston or NYC, and if there are no Canadian dates on this leg, I could see quite a few heading to Buffalo and Detroit.

That said, it's pretty easy to believe that U2 would want to extend this tour. The fans love it. The band seem to really be enjoying it. And I think over the past few shows, they've genuinely gotten proud of Side 2 of TJT.

As for Europe, yeah, woefully underbooked. Is there a snowball's chance that they could actually extend Leg 2 for another week or three before coming back to the US in September? Probably not, because it would be a short turnaround for ticket sales and whatever, but if it were logistically possible (which it probably isn't) it sure would make sense. Presumably they'd try to rectify that situation by heavily playing Europe on the E+I tour next year.

The Falcons have a brand new 76,000 seat stadium opening in August. If they play here that is most likely where it will be:

I thought I heard that they were having some troubles and delays constructing the roof of that stadium and it was going to be a challenge to get it ready for the NFL season.

As Axver said, if they really want to do a money grab, why not do Europe? They could easily sell out 50+ stadiums throughout the continent. Makes more sense than playing half empty stadiums in New Orleans and Kansas City. But what do I know? It must just be easier logistically and more profitable to tour the US.

As Axver said, if they really want to do a money grab, why not do Europe? They could easily sell out 50+ stadiums throughout the continent. Makes more sense than playing half empty stadiums in New Orleans and Kansas City. But what do I know? It must just be easier logistically and more profitable to tour the US.
I wouldn't be surprised if a month ago Bono or Larry said "no, it's time for SOE". And now a few weeks later, after the actual JT30 shows, changed it to "okay, this is fun, I'll give you one more leg. Your choice, Europe or the US."

And then the band just picked the US because "duh, it's The Joshua Tree".

Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion II

Also, Bono said there's not a suitable venue in Peru? Coldplay, GnR, Rolling Stones all recently played to over 45,000 people at Lima's National stadium. Maybe that's too small, and they can't guarantee demand for 2 nights?

I believe adding more US dates rather than Europe would be more about raising their profile before the SOE album & tour;

I thought I heard that they were having some troubles and delays constructing the roof of that stadium and it was going to be a challenge to get it ready for the NFL season.

They were but the roof is working now. They sound pretty confident it will be ready in August. It was originally supposed to open in April. If that had been the case I think Atlanta would have been on the 1st leg.

As for Europe, yeah, woefully underbooked. Is there a snowball's chance that they could actually extend Leg 2 for another week or three before coming back to the US in September? Probably not, because it would be a short turnaround for ticket sales and whatever, but if it were logistically possible (which it probably isn't) it sure would make sense. Presumably they'd try to rectify that situation by heavily playing Europe on the E+I tour next year.

This is the only reasonable explanation - so watch them then book a huge North America arena jaunt and then play just one gig in Italy, a country where they could easily spend a month. The only time they've ever properly toured Italy was the ZooTV 1993 leg.

Also, Bono said there's not a suitable venue in Peru? Coldplay, GnR, Rolling Stones all recently played to over 45,000 people at Lima's National stadium. Maybe that's too small, and they can't guarantee demand for 2 nights?

I read that as meaning they couldn't line up the stadium on the right date. It's not just "do you have a venue we can use?" but "can we use it in this window of availability?"

It would be a bloody shame if they can't be a little more flexible with their itinerary though, and give Peru its first show ever.

This is the only reasonable explanation - so watch them then book a huge North America arena jaunt and then play just one gig in Italy, a country where they could easily spend a month. The only time they've ever properly toured Italy was the ZooTV 1993 leg.

As a selfish North American who prefers arena gigs, I hope you're right! In all seriousness, how likely is it that they'd tour NA next year, if the rumored JT extension happens? The talk about them "drying up the market" has me worried.

As a selfish North American who prefers arena gigs, I hope you're right! In all seriousness, how likely is it that they'd tour NA next year, if the rumored JT extension happens? The talk about them "drying up the market" has me worried.

My feeling on this is that if they do go ahead and bleed the US market dry in 2017, they probably won't be back until 2019. Which is fine, for sure, the US has had plenty of shows. But that leaves the question; IF the album does get released in December, as we're all hoping for, WHAT will they do during 2018? Tour Australia and Europe? You bet, but that won't take the whole year.

Maybe I'm wrong, and they can still mount a fully successful US arena tour in 2018. I just think it's a lot to ask of some of the 2nd tier markets to fill a stadium this year AND an arena next year, especially at those high prices!

I've no doubt that if they wanted to, they could easily do an arena tour next year with 2-4x shows (as appropriate) in NYC, Boston, DC, Chicago, LA, Bay Area, a city in OR/WA, at least two of Denver and Las Vegas and Phoenix if they are indeed skipped entirely this year, at least one city in Texas, and then pick a couple more at random. That's already more cities than the IE Tour did in the States! Sure, heaps are repeats, but they're massive markets. Maybe NYC would only do 4 rather than 8, but so what?

And then there's Canada, which has been underdone on both recent tours. They could go all-out. Even with repeats from recent tours, they could definitely sell arena shows across the country: Vancouver, one of Edmonton or Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, maybe Ottawa, maybe Quebec City, and somewhere in the Maritimes.

So as much as it would be nice to believe U2 will use 2018 to tour the rest of the world and stop this ridiculous pattern of underplaying anywhere that isn't in North America, another goddamn tour is plausible.

But seriously, why the fuck they don't do an Irish tour is beyond me. They could play around the country and have no trouble selling out. It's absolute madness that they haven't played outside Dublin or Belfast since 1987. And then there's the rest of Europe, especially the very devoted fanbase in southern Europe. U2's obsession with America is really extreme at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom