Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean - that schedule isn't totally unrealistic. Timeline could be:

- finish SOE in the month off between leg two and three
- tour NA and SA
- drop album 1 December
- tour Aus/NZ early 2018

The Aus NZ shows would allow them to limp into SOE touring - we didn't get I and E or JT, so they could play a show of earlier songs/SOI, most of JT, later songs/SOE.

This is also consistent with Bono's comments about this tour not going to Australia, and I would think this is largely due to SOE, and the fact that stadiums may not be fully available. They have to get Aus done by end of Feb though, because they have no chance of getting stadiums once NRL, AFL, Super Rugby starts.

Au shows could still be in March if the scheduling is clever enough, as per the original vertigo dates.

That list of shows does not quite match the info I was given tho some of the cities folks are questioning are absolutely on the list

Arenas isn't what I've seen rumoured but that'd be awesome if so...

That list of shows does not quite match the info I was given tho some of the cities folks are questioning are absolutely on the list

I fully believe the information you are sharing. This list was posted by Matt McGee on atu2.com and he stated that it was one of a handful of possible schedules and that the source that provided it is extremely reputable. From conversations I've had with U2 crew I know there is a desire from the top to keep U2 on this current tour.

I was there outside of Jimmy Kimmel Live when Bono fully alluded to South American dates coming and heard him specifically say that Peru, which had been rumored for October 24th, was not happening as there wasn't a sufficient venue.

These 9 North American cities make sense when you consider that none of them had have U2 since 2011 or earlier. San Diego hasn't had them since 2005 and as the only show listed in the Western US, will be a quick sell out. Buffalo is the only show in the Northeast, so it will pull fans from NYC, Boston and all over.

I'm not at all surprised by Las Vegas being skipped, as that stadium only holds 35,000-40,000. Granted they felt that was big enough for 360, but they were selling the entire venue. This time, a lot of seats wouldn't be sold, so capacity would probably drop to around 30-35,000 maximum. Plus I know with 100% certainty that the T-Mobile Arena was planned for fall 2016 for the E+I tour, so I assume they will play it next year instead. I would think Glendale, Arizona could have worked, but maybe they were unsure of how well it would sell since it was played in 2015. I assume Denver is being skipped as the 2 I+E shows were not fast sellouts.

South America being played for TJT makes sense, as there aren't enough good arenas to do the E+I tour there, so this is a compromise.

If SOE is released on December 1st, or anytime by March, I suspect the tour will start in Australia in arenas. There was that report around February/March last year of a fan talking to Guy Oseary at a Madonna arena show in Australia and asking him when U2 would be there. The impression I got was that Guy indicated they would be playing arenas there.

I assume Europe would be next, as it's not being oversaturated with TJT shows, then it would make sense to hit North America for fall 2018. They only played 10 cities in North America in 2015 and the impression I had was that the 2016 tour would have been mainly new cities and probably more than 10. I believe now that LA, NYC, Chicago and Toronto will all get return shows. Between those 4 they could get to around 15 shows. Montreal could also get a return, as TJT appears to be skipping there. Add in Las Vegas and that could account for around 20 shows. The other 10 or so could be made up of Portland/Seattle, Austin and a few others. The demand will be there in whatever city they play, whether played in 2017 or not.

More US dates??? Already double the number of shows us Europeans are getting, and maybe more.....plus parts of the world they haven't visited in a long time

This is what I don't get. U2 have a history of overplaying North America and underplaying Europe, but this is extreme. Just twelve European gigs? They could do fifty fucking gigs across the continent and sell out every single one without any challenge.

And I'll be pissed if Australia gets the IE/EI tour rather than JT.

I'm pretty sure that at least the Minneapolis date is correct. I went to the Chicago show last night. My sister (Not really a U2 fan at all) asked how the show was and if I was planning on seeing them here in Minneapolis on in September. I gave her a blank stare (hadn't seen this rumor uet) and told her there is no Minneapolis show. She said she has a friend who works at the stadium and was told they'll be working a U2 show on Sept 8th.

I'm not at all surprised by Las Vegas being skipped, as that stadium only holds 35,000-40,000. Granted they felt that was big enough for 360, but they were selling the entire venue. This time, a lot of seats wouldn't be sold, so capacity would probably drop to around 30-35,000 maximum. Plus I know with 100% certainty that the T-Mobile Arena was planned for fall 2016 for the E+I tour, so I assume they will play it next year instead.

I would think Glendale, Arizona could have worked, but maybe they were unsure of how well it would sell since it was played in 2015. I assume Denver is being skipped as the 2 I+E shows were not fast sellouts.

The listed capacity of the renovated Olympic Stadium/Turner Field is 23,000. One whole side of the stadium is going to be 1 lower bowl of rows only. I'm going to add a spoiler tag since I don't know how large the picture will end up being.

newsEngin.17728985_Georgia-State-Football-Day-Rendering-Fall-2016.jpg

The first football game will be on 8/31.

On top of that:
The distance between New Orleans and Atlanta is 500 miles
The distance between Kansas City and St Louis is 250 miles

The heartland is represented too much.

To bypass Glendale/Denver on the first go around is one thing, but to do it on the second too is mind boggling.

.... if true, that really sucks for SOE.

Fuck it, Milk the US completely dry. Could do Atlanta, Carolina, St. Louis or Kansas City, Oklahoma, New Orleans, Detroit, Minneapolis, Buffalo, Denver, salt lake, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Oregon, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Montreal. Then slide down to Mexico, then down to South America, then in early 2018 over to NZ, Australia, and then up to pacific rim Asia, and finish up in Hawaii. And just push SOE back another year, why not?

Fuck it.

Take the JT tour global and then retire.

Also. This is U2. Wonder when they'll lock in the DVD shoot?

I was musing about that earlier, but it would be a truly bizarre choice to not shoot this in the U.S., considering the album's themes/subject matter. Also, the last tour's shoot was in Europe.

I guess shooting in Central/South America would be partially relevant because of Bullet and Mothers, but this one really cried out to be shot at Sun Devil Stadium, or at least somewhere in the middle of the country.

From the dates listed earlier, New Orleans seemed like a good possibility. Atlanta is a huge market but I don't know if they have any particular attachment to that place.

I just can't imagine them shooting in Minneapolis, Indianapolis, St. Louis, etc.

Hey, Aussies, I've got a new source saying that U2 have booked Subiaco in Perth for November.

As I say it's a new source so I can't vouch for their reliability, but they're fairly confident.

Hey, Aussies, I've got a new source saying that U2 have booked Subiaco in Perth for November.

As I say it's a new source so I can't vouch for their reliability, but they're fairly confident.

Interesting. I know the rumours were for Nov earlier this year, but with the album date 1 December rumour, I can't see both being true.

Please no. And yet... imagine all the helicopter shots of the surrounding parking lot, unused arena and abandoned indoor ski lift.
MAGIC
Well, if it's in the US, and they continue with the pattern of filming in cities where they have multiple gigs, it's the only one left. And you'd assume they'd film in the NYC metro area at some point.

If the rumoured dates are true, maybe bit saturated market?

Europe is a better U2 market than the US as well, dont know why they dont realize that tickets sells faster there.

Interesting. I know the rumours were for Nov earlier this year, but with the album date 1 December rumour, I can't see both being true.

Yeah, I had the same thought. Some bands will be on the road close to an album release, but U2 haven't done that since, funnily enough, their first ever visit here in 1984. (Zooropa is obviously an exceptional case, self-consciously mid-tour.) If U2 stick to their usual pattern they'll have a few weeks leading up to the album's release to promote the hell out of it on US/UK radio and TV.

Please no. And yet... imagine all the helicopter shots of the surrounding parking lot, unused arena and abandoned indoor ski lift.
MAGIC

:lmao:

If the rumoured dates are true, maybe bit saturated market?

Europe is a better U2 market than the US as well, dont know why they dont realize that tickets sells faster there.

If you pinned a map of Europe on the wall and asked a blindfolded five year old to throw thirty darts at it, you would still end up with an itinerary that would sell out every night.

Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion II

Yesssss. Do we know if its one or two shows by any chance? Worried that means we wont see IE here though..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom