Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my ticket for London in July and I'm sure I'll enjoy the gig, but it's sad to see the band in decline like this.

Decline? Doesn't seem like people are walking out of shows in disgust yet. On top of that, I'm sure there's plenty of Soundgarden and Prince fans who still wouldn't mind seeing their favorite acts play anything from their past these days.

Last edited:
They are in their late fifties fer Chrissake! How could Live Nation POSSIBLY be dictating that they go out on tour now? The last cycle was two years ago. A band of their stature could easily wait five years, if not more, between tours. Live Nation should just thank God U2 is not Peter Gabriel.

Many here believe U2 have made promises to Live Nation for number of shows and when before their deal is up in 2020.

Bono made a couple cynical off hand comment at the first 2 shows. "How was that?" or "Next track please" during JT. Except for Adam, I didn't see any of them break a smile opening night.

I cant beLIEve what im hearing from u2 fans here..
Enyoj while u still can beacuse in couple years all will have is records an memories

I cant beLIEve what im hearing from u2 fans here..
Enyoj while u still can beacuse in couple years all will have is records an memories

100% mate, what's wrong with people. U2 are in fine form with this tour. Not going to be around forever

Plus if I read another newspaper report from the states about people complaining about the venue etc I'm gonna scream.

One report was that the venue didn't have any food left. I mean really. You've paid to see th best band in the world not stuff your face.

Sorry but Come on Americans what's wrong with you

Has there been any talk of doing a live simulcast from this tour, or any rumours for what show they might record the video for the DVD/BD?

I'm sure they're waiting to dust the cobwebs off, but I really hope it happens, I want at least one soundboard/broadcast quality rip from this show sometime soon!

OMG. I can't believe some people! If I were Bono, reading posts like this would make me want to say 'fuck it all' and drink Guinness for the rest of my life rather than playing for underappreciative "fans".

They are in their late fifties fer Chrissake! How could Live Nation POSSIBLY be dictating that they go out on tour now? The last cycle was two years ago. A band of their stature could easily wait five years, if not more, between tours. Live Nation should just thank God U2 is not Peter Gabriel.

They are out there playing their heart out, have a huge payroll in a shitty-ass global economy, and clock in for work each show instead of offing themselves (I know, too soon--far too soon). I know I am going to savor every minute in Chicago two weeks from Sunday. Even if no one else did, I would enjoy it enough for the entire stadium!

I am so grateful to still have them.
Mike

To me they seem really under rehearsed. The renditions of The Joshua Tree tracks seem really flat and like they're just going through the motions. Bono sounds like he's really struggling with his voice. U2 are perfectionists, they can't possibly be happy with how this is going.

Lets be honest, it's obvious the delay in finishing up and touring Songs of Experience has forced them into doing these gigs to keep Live Nation happy. I have my ticket for London in July and I'm sure I'll enjoy the gig, but it's sad to see the band in decline like this.
While I don't think LiveNation is "making" them tour, I do believe it was highly recommended by them.

And as for how they could pressure them to do something? It's called a contract and billions of dollars.

What's wrong with America? What, are you living under a rock? Shit is crazy here. Bitching about food and transportation at stadiums is the only thing stopping us from completely imploding.

3/4 of U2 didn't smile opening night during TJT set? Oh my god! They're usually like the fuckin Supremes, grinning like the Joker! Larry, Edge and Bono probably died in 2014 when the door came off the plane and imposters have been filling in for them ever since. It's all coming together...

3/4 of U2 didn't smile opening night during TJT set? Oh my god! They're usually like the fuckin Supremes, grinning like the Joker! Larry, Edge and Bono probably died in 2014 when the door came off the plane and imposters have been filling in for them ever since. It's all coming together...

Somebody here sees the truth.

PAUL (Hewson) IS DEAD.

If the I&E tour would have resumed like it was suppose and planed to in 2016, this " Imposed Live Nation tour" would not have happened.

Are you going to join me Ethan? I'm sick of just watching Periscope, I need to see this band again some time soon :rockon:
Don't know if this is for real yet... if they are doing South America they may well do Aus too... but getting itchy! Let's see what comes out over the next few days!

The more I see of this tour the more I am not impressed. It does feel very stale with a very short set list. Only 22 songs is very poor for a Stadium show. I stand by my comments about them seemingly under rehearsed and lacking energy.

The whole setlist surrounding TJT feels like it's been thrown together, and throwing I Will Follow in as the very last track just does not sit right. Bono appears to be struggling with his voice although is improving each show. Something tells me that they would rather be anywhere else other than performing this tour.

Just my immediate thoughts...

It's fascinating seeing such wildly differing opinions of the shows, even from people actually AT the shows.

I used to have little patience for anyone who criticised a show/tour they weren't at, and basing their opinion purely on videos.

But I wondering if first person accounts are just as unreliable. There's a lot of emotion going on when you're at one of these shows, and the reactions can be very subjective. How big a fan are you? How much do you like these particular songs? Did you have a good or bad day? Are you drunk? How good are your seats? Did you just break up with your bf/gf? Did you just get engaged? Divorced? Did you fall in love with someone at your first U2 concert? Did you have a bad experience in line? Did the acoustics suck where you sat? All those things and a thousand more can impact how you judge the show.

So I'm not as quick as I used to be to dismiss the opinions of people who have come to conclusions based on the vids. Granted, watching crappy iphone videos on computer speakers isn't exactly the best gauge on how good a show is either, but I think you can get a pretty good idea of what's going on.

If the I&E tour would have resumed like it was suppose and planed to in 2016, this " Imposed Live Nation tour" would not have happened.

Absolutely. For some reason this is not a popular opinion around here, but I believe U2's arm's were twisted to do this tour. People say "they're U2, they can do whatever they want". Maybe not. Maybe LiveNation has more sway over them then we know. Maybe LN saw that the 30th anniversary of JT was coming up, saw the success Bruce had with The River, and "strongly suggested" U2 hold off on the arena tour of SOE and instead focus on filling stadiums on the back of a 30 year old album.

They have pretty much come right out and said that they'd rather be touring behind a new album right now. Their justification and exuses for this tour being about anything other than a money grab are laughable. Like being a reaction to Trump's presidency, etc. Plans were underway for this tour long before he even got elected.

This tour is a cash grab. Doesn't bother me, I gladly handed over my money! I can't believe I'm going to be able to see U2 play ASOH, as well as tracks 6-11 from JT! A couple of my other favorite bands are touring this summer without a new album to support (Tom Petty and Muse), and I think nothing of it. Petty's only reason for touring is his 40th anniversary, and he's selling out arenas and amphitheaters all over the country. Why should U2 be held to a higher standard? They're a band... band's play concerts. That's what they do.

Last edited:
I used to have little patience for anyone who criticised a show/tour they weren't at, and basing their opinion purely on videos.

But I wondering if first person accounts are just as unreliable. There's a lot of emotion going on when you're at one of these shows, and the reactions can be very subjective. How big a fan are you? How much do you like these particular songs? Did you have a good or bad day? Are you drunk? How good are your seats? Did you just break up with your bf/gf? Did you just get engaged? Divorced? Did you fall in love with someone at your first U2 concert? Did you have a bad experience in line? Did the acoustics suck where you sat? All those things and a thousand more can impact how you judge the show.

Of course there's a lot of emotion, that's the purpose of rock shows. Shows ARE for those people in that room that night; the drunk, sober, divorced, hardcore and casual. The shows are not for the folks reading lists on a monitor.

And I'm so glad that things worked out that way. As a hardcore fan of 15 years, I'd much rather see this tour, as it's a gift to those of us who care enough to know that Red Hill Mining Town had never been played live before. Casuals were already receiving JT's opening trio every night.

Have listened to the various bootlegs over the weekend and its a mixed bag.

Nice to hear the new song in decent quality from Santa Clara - some of the vids I've seen kind of show what happens when you play a new song they've never heard before - indifference and chatting etc.

• Bono seems to be SHOUTING a lot.
  • He also seems to be out of breath, very noticeable when he's speaking, later on in the shows in particular. Just early tour lack of fitness?
  • The setlist either side of the main event seems a bit all over the place. Elevation gets the place going, Ultraviolet sounds great, Miss Sarajevo and Bono's social commentary just seems to put a downer on the whole thing. And why not finish on 40? Or something, anything else?
  • Band seem on-form and very tight.
  • I'd not seen "low energy" as I've not been on this part of the forum much, but that kind of sums a lot of it up.
  • Some of the arrangements of JT songs sound great - a very "full" sound - some less so - very inconsistent
  • Show rattles along at a great pace, partly due to Bono's lack of preaching until the latter parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom