Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Live DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They may do like Taylor Swift did with her 1989 tour - film a show and put it on Apple Music/iTunes or whatever. saves them the cost of manufacturing physical dvds/blurays.

This idea is awful though - if Taylor Swift's marketing team determined there wasn't a market for her hugely successful Red and 1989 tours then the market for concert DVDs must be tiny these days.

I honestly care less about the DVD and more about having a high quality audio rip of the show

I don't think people care so much about the medium as the product. It would be really disappointing not to have an officially released pro-shot concert from this tour - whether it is on DVD, Blu-Ray, iTunes, Netflix etc.

I don't think people care so much about the medium as the product. It would be really disappointing not to have an officially released pro-shot concert from this tour - whether it is on DVD, Blu-Ray, iTunes, Netflix etc.

Yeah, it would be real disappointing for this tour to be the first since Lovetown without a video release, especially since the visuals on this tour were great and it was a very theatrical show

I heard that the first four songs in San Diego were filmed for HBO, my guess is they'll film the rest of the show somewhere in South America and then release it

I wonder at what point in a tour does U2 typically record a video for release? Earlier? Later? Midway? And what's the determinative factor in deciding where to record?

It would be interesting to know which % of shows in any given tour U2 already completed before they decided to make the vid.

I heard that the first four songs in San Diego were filmed for HBO, my guess is they'll film the rest of the show somewhere in South America and then release it

Speaking of HBO, what ever happened with that documentary they made on the IE Tour?

I wonder at what point in a tour does U2 typically record a video for release? Earlier? Later? Midway? And what's the determinative factor in deciding where to record?

It would be interesting to know which % of shows in any given tour U2 already completed before they decided to make the vid.

Zoo TV was at the very end, PopMart was near the end, Elevation was at the beginning/middle and then the somewhat at the end, Vertigo was at the start and then various shows were filmed, 360 was near the end of the beginning half, I+E was at the end.

Looks like Edge was miming along to the guitar during The Best Thing..... Pretty disappointing.

Looks like Edge was miming along to the guitar during The Best Thing..... Pretty disappointing.

He plays it up until he sings, then he has problems with his microphone so he puts his hand up to put that right, but no break in sound and you can still hear the guitar as normal. It's obvious edge isn't playing at that moment in time. Then he starts playing after he has sung his part of the song

Would it be a track that's playing or would it just be some back up guitarist playing in the underworld ? It's clearly not edge anyway

May be it's his delay or repeat instruments or gears that were sustaining the sound. I think a person with extensive guitar knowledge can clarify more.

You mean the part where there's obviously two guitar parts playing at the same time? He's miming?

He's playing the simpler of the two and has the other playing on a loop or Dallas under the stage.

My take on what happened during the bridge is that he was having issues with his mic, and Dallas was playing behind him down below while Edge fixed the mic and sang his part.

Could as be that it's a pre recorded part because he has an intensive singing part, I'm not sure. Definitely strange to see though. They better nail it tonight!

Zoo TV was at the very end, PopMart was near the end, Elevation was at the beginning/middle and then the somewhat at the end, Vertigo was at the start and then various shows were filmed, 360 was near the end of the beginning half, I+E was at the end.

Cheers.

I'd think about the midway point is when you'd want to do it...late enough that you've worked out all the kinks, but not so late that the band is sounding burned out, vocals are getting strained, etc.

Though I suppose knowing the cameras on on and it's being recorded for posterity is a good motivator to bring it.

Dallas does not play under the stage. He's busy getting Edge's next gutar ready.

Pre-recorded loops and guitar parts, on the other hand, are a thing.

...and have been for ages. More going on than Edge can do by himself, some bands get support players, U2 prefer looking like just the 4 of them on stage, so they have Terry and a lot of tapes. Not bad or good particularly, but definitely not news.

Yeah, pre-recorded loops play in the background. U2 have done this since the 80's. The earliest example I can think of is during the chorus to Bullet the Blue Sky during JT shows. We're Bono a competent guitar player, they might not need to do that as much. Alas, he is not, and U2 have always been adamant about there being just the 4 of them onstage.

Also, Dallas NEVER plays live during a concert. He is busy getting the next guitar ready, minding Edge's sound levels, and even pressing the changing effects pedals when Edge is away from his control panel.

Since the band has filmed at various recent shows, and will continue to shoot in Buenos Aires, is it possible we get an official hodgepodge than a supposed single straight concert? I know in the past when they used footage from multiple nights it was just billed as a single city, whereas this would be advertised as coming from different cities.

Maybe it seems like something the band wouldn't do, but it would allow them to represent both the American Southwest as well as Central/South America in keeping with the content on the actual JT album's songs.

It would allow them to make the shows look longer than they are. Add Miss Sarajevo, Mysterious Ways etc in, and possibly add a song or two, like Sweetest Rhing

Just passing this bit of info from Reforma, a Mexican newspaper

10.- Para el DVD que grabaron y que será lanzado el próximo año, U2 está en negociaciones con una empresa de streaming para que lo de a conocer en el primer semestre de 2018.

Just says that the DVD will be released during the first half of 2018 and that they are in talks with a streaming company.

From the other bits of info in the article it just says that Bono went to two places affected by the earthquake, that Larry stayed at the hotel because he needed therapy for his back pain, that Bono practiced his Spanish speeches :lol:, that Adam really liked a coat given to him as a gift, the number of selfies and pics taken with Bono, that their staff bought some of the non official merch sold outside Foro Sol, etc

Visitó Bono zonas de desastre

Last edited:
Do you guys have any information about an official DVD of the tour? Would be very disappointing if there would be no concert dvd... :(

Do you guys have any information about an official DVD of the tour? Would be very disappointing if there would be no concert dvd... :(

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just saved now for the next Joshua tree anniversary issues , 35th anniversary edition or something like that

Back
Top Bottom