It's GA "line" shenanigan time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The handful of entitled line goofballs aside, I read a recap of the situation on Facebook, and it sounded pretty fucked up, even once they were inside. As in, security not letting people sit down, whether in line or outside, and people passing out because of it.

That's not okay.

It was awful. Never doing GA at Gillette ever again.

can they even legally do that? i'm fairly sure forcing people to stand for lengthy periods of time would be illegal under the ontario disability laws.

The handful of entitled line goofballs aside, I read a recap of the situation on Facebook, and it sounded pretty fucked up, even once they were inside. As in, security not letting people sit down, whether in line or outside, and people passing out because of it.

That's not okay.

I counted about 7 people being wheeled out by EMTs. Thankfully it wasn't a very hot day or things could have been a lot worse.

This gives me flashbacks to the GA queue in Dublin 2009 and being corralled into tiny sections where there was insufficient space to sit down. Some of us took turns sitting down to rest our legs.

That Dublin queue was Marquis de Sade-esque. (I exaggerate a bit) :wink: Tiny little cattle chutes. We were all over each other, and definitely no way to stretch out. Thank God the weather in Dublin in July was nice...and those days were like low 70's.

Last edited:
Copy-pasting from my Facebook since I'm lazy. :lol:

I was not involved with the list drama, but they created a really unsafe environment for those of us who weren't wristbanded as well. There was zero communication. When we were entering, we had to push into another line because security told us staff wasn't there to man the metal detectors. A minute after we were forced to shove and cut others in front of us, they brought staff over. WTF. Don't even get me started on them not allowing us to sit down before The Lumineers. Oh, and a guy near us decided to piss in a cup and leave it on the floor 2 feet away from me. :happy:

All that being said, I really enjoyed myself. Looking forward to 3 more shows with competent venue staff. ;)

Last edited:
That Dublin queue was Marquis de Sade-esque. (I exaggerate a bit) :wink: Tiny little cattle chutes. We were all over each other, and definitely no way to stretch out. Thank God the weather in Dublin in July was nice...and those days were like low 70's.

Yeah I remember, but the second and third shows we waited until they'd filled the row then moved to the end of the chute where there was room to sit down

When are doors tomorrow? Since i got GA at last i plan to be there 30-60 min before doors open.

Fact is, at the end of the day we would all have fun if we met at a concert. Lets enjoy U2 while we have them. Cheers!

Reasonably certain that any of us who know better would have fun with you if we met at a concert - I don't know if I'd be happy for someone who has a drumstick collection getting yet another drumstick vs someone who has nothing.

In fact it would be pretty fun to print out your posts and hand them to any of your new 'friends' so they can see what a class act you are to people. :sexywink:

This gives me flashbacks to the GA queue in Dublin 2009 and being corralled into tiny sections where there was insufficient space to sit down. Some of us took turns sitting down to rest our legs.

I had this for the Depeche Mode gig I went to a month ago., I arrived at 10:45 ish .
Temp well over 35, and the line I joined consisted of maybe 50 people, (There where 6 separate GA entrances, hence the low GA #'s)

At around 12:00 security ordered us to start making space and start standing "to make space" .
If eyebrows could make a sound it would have been a choir practice. Still 6 hours ahead of gates, and they where making us stand already. Oops.
All the fans looked at each other , shrugged, did as they where told and tried their best to comply!
All of that even though there was enough space for everyone and 100's more if we where sitting down.

Everyone toughened it out for an hour or so, but then the man with the hammer came round for most,
we all agreed that it was too ridiculous and , collectively decided to sit down again.
Security told us to stand yet again. Some people got up again, and after 10 minutes, sat down yet again bc why not.. . It was quite warm. :shifty:

Needless to say. Security stopped asking. us to stand.
I don't see how they could force people to do so., and thankfully everyone in their right mind was in our queue and agreed.

Best GA experience for a stadium gig in my life actually. Everybody was chill. No line nazi, just a dude with a sharpie who wrote a number down but didn't set rules baerely spoke english. . And guess what. He didn't need security, he didn't need rowcalls,
And this amazing thing happened:

People stayed in line , the numbers got respected by every fan, no drama, no bullshit!

Its good to remember that it CAN work without one single person in control of everything. Sure put down numbers. It makes it easier to collectively look out for each other and line skippers. And also ditch the row calls... Stay in the actual fucking line. Line or bust.

Last edited:
I was at the show last night and the GA line was a fiasco. I arrived at 1pm and walked up to where the Gillette stadium website said the GA line would be forming. I was told that the line wouldn't start until 2:30. My wife and I were fine with that so we went and had lunch and a few drinks. At 2:30 we returned to discover only 7 people on the line and we joined it. The line grew to about 50 people by 3:00. At that time people started showing up with numbers written on their hands with sharpies. They demanded to be put at the front of the line, and a few of them tried to force their way to the front. Security repeatedly told them that their numbers were meaningless and to join the back of the line. A bunch of these people were complaining to me that they'd been in line since Thursday and that I should let them in front of me. My wife and I refused to move and said "if you had been in line since Thursday you would be in front of me because I got here at 2:30 today". Some of them actually started crying. I kept telling them that if I was a member of a closed facebook group I would have known to check in 2 times a day at a Dunkin Donuts located 2 miles from the venue. They had no answer for that. Some of these idiotic "line leaders" would try to act like they were with the band or security and tell me I had to move because I didn't have a number on my hand. Gillette security stood firm and said that the line formed at 2:30 and the numbers were meaningless. One of them said "I can buy a sharpie and put a 1 on my hand, but that doesn't mean I'm first on line". At around 4:00 Gillette security changed its tune and ordered anyone without a number to the back of the line. My wife and I protested and said that we were told that the numbers were meaningless and now we are being told the opposite. We were told that there is nothing we can do and the decision has been made to honor the numbers. Apparently the entitled assholes convinced someone that they belonged in the front of the line. My wife and I didn't cry, carry on, or threaten violence. We just moved to the back of the line. When the gates opened we just calmly walked to the main stage and got a spot directly in front of Bono with only 1 person in front of us.
The show was excellent. I'm not sure that I've ever had a better time at a U2 show. Oh, and to the guy who is bragging about his drumstick and setlist collection, I have a beautiful wife and 2 beautiful daughters. Top that, asshole.

omg :crack:

respect to you for keeping your cool :up:

I dont have daughters because we dont want kids yet, but you bet i have a beautiful stunning wife. Fit, sexy and gorgeous. Also Im most likely wayyy more sucesfulll than you ever were at 31. Probably more than you are now. And i have a great U2 front row memorabilia display too ;)

No need to get personal dude. Dont act like a cliche vulgar Bostonian. We are all here for the band :)

duuuuuuude

i am embarrassed for you

i don't understand why it's at all necessary to go against venue policy, which is information that is publicly available. it's as if your U2 viewing experience supersedes anybody who is not in the know. wouldn't it be cool for somebody seeing U2 for the first or second time, or a fan bringing a friend(s) who have never seen them, who follow venue policy, to get up front? obviously, i'm not saying "whoa this person hasn't seen them before, let's let them up front," but if they followed the policy and were seventh in line for the rules set forth by the venue... then they're fucking seventh in line. be happy for them.

i've seen U2 60 times now (with another two times coming up this week). i've seen them in GA less than 10 times, and only once got to the venue early to line up to get close, and that was in 2005.

i can safely report the concerts are enjoyable even if Bono can't cough on you. it's ok if other people are against the rail.

Reasonably certain that any of us who know better would have fun with you if we met at a concert - I don't know if I'd be happy for someone who has a drumstick collection getting yet another drumstick vs someone who has nothing.

In fact it would be pretty fun to print out your posts and hand them to any of your new 'friends' so they can see what a class act you are to people. :sexywink:

In the past, I've been lucky enough to be on the receiving end of set lists, drumsticks and guitar picks handed out at shows I've been to. One of the best feelings I can get at those things is when I get something that I already have from a prior show or earlier in the day, and then hand it off to someone else who didn't get anything.

Now, I'm not above keeping something if I really want it or if it's a different tour, etc. But after awhile, if it's just getting as much stuff as possible, it really doesn't do me any good unless I'm building a mini-museum or shrine of some sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom