It's GA "line" shenanigan time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
omg they make it sound like Fight Club or something - embarrassing bunch of wankers :lol:

My takeaway was that apparently, hanging around a stadium for a few days AND flying into a city to see a show means you're a bigger fan than most and should know there's a GA line list. Or something? :scratch:

i have zero issue with anyone who is actually sitting there, at the stadium, and is only getting up to eat, defecate, and i'll even make an allowance through show day for an hour to go shower - not for their own hygiene, but rather so i don't have to smell them. come show day, though - no shower breaks allowed. suck it up buttercup.

it's not my cup of tea; i'd never waste that much time just so bono can snot on me - but hey, to each their own.

it's the douchebags who hold spots and put their name on a list and disappear for hours upon hours at a time, take naps back at the hotel, and whatnot that piss me off. if you want the spot, you show up and you wait. period. coming to a show from out of town or out of country doesn't make you any more important than the fan who lives there and either doesn't have the financial means to travel the world following the band, and/or has a family and/or job that prevents them from doing so. it. just. doesn't.

i remember sitting at the bar before the now infamous @U2 party and laughing at all the people with numbers in the low double digits, even single digits, flooding past me. who, exactly, was on line?

i have zero issue with anyone who is actually sitting there, at the stadium, and is only getting up to eat, defecate, and i'll even make an allowance through show day for an hour to go shower - not for their own hygiene, but rather so i don't have to smell them. come show day, though - no shower breaks allowed. suck it up buttercup.

it's not my cup of tea; i'd never waste that much time just so bono can snot on me - but hey, to each their own.

it's the douchebags who hold spots and put their name on a list and disappear for hours upon hours at a time, take naps back at the hotel, and whatnot that piss me off. if you want the spot, you show up and you wait. period. coming to a show from out of town or out of country doesn't make you any more important than the fan who lives there and either doesn't have the financial means to travel the world following the band, and/or has a family and/or job that prevents them from doing so. it. just. doesn't.

i remember sitting at the bar before the now infamous @U2 party and laughing at all the people with numbers in the low double digits, even single digits, flooding past me. who, exactly, was on line?

click clack.

I saw the 360 show at BC Place in Vancouver and I remember getting an email from the venue explicitly stating that no queuing is allowed before a certain time. So we showed up around 7 a.m. on the day of the show and imagine my surprise to find that people had in fact been in a "queue" for quite some time.

I don't think any of us would have an issue with folks lining up for whatever length of time they wanted, as long as they actually stayed in line. This system is they create a list, put names on it and go back to their hotels, leaving a few folks to mind the list in shifts while dozens more relax off site. And then they try to bully anyone who shows up into abiding by their rules and not the rules of the venue.

This is the clearest most concise summary of the racket they all have going. It's a fucking joke.

So...do any of these people try to defend this?

I love the band, but could never give enough of a shit about anyone that wasn't family or close friends enough to purposely encounter that kind of BS.

Bono will have to go another 50 years without ever meeting the awesomeness that is me, I suppose...

I made a bitchy comment on a friend's FB post about the line last night, then deleted it when I realized her other friends were into the line thing. I'm trying really hard to not bitch about it this time.

Let's see how long I last! :wink:

(seriously, though. I don't care if people want to line up for days. I don't even really care if it's the "check in" system. It's just the shady shenanigans that go on that really chap my hide.)

I'd have no issue with people lining up for 3 days if they were actually lining up. If the list keepers didn't have the luxury of trading off list keeping shifts with each other, I highly doubt they would start the "line" so early.

When did these line shenanigans start?

In March 2005 I slept two days at Montreal's Bell Centre to buy tickets for the Vertigo tour. I arrived there Thursday night and saw there were about 20 people ahead of me. I set up my tent and sleeping bag and didn't leave the area except for bathroom and food breaks until the tickets went on sale Saturday at 10 a.m. By that time there were hundreds of people behind me and I ended up getting the tickets I wanted while the computer and telephone systems crashed.

Those at the front created a list, but from what I observed, most people, if not all of them, were there the entire time. It was actually a fun two days. There was zero issue with anyone showing up jest before the ticket onsale.

ahhh i'm uncomfortable simply bashing the idea of waiting for a while and/or trying to get close or wanting to meet one's heroes.

but there's a way to do it, and there's a way not to do it.

That's cool, but I'm saying that the people that do it repeatedly ALSO are some of the people that game the lines repeatedly, and then come back into said line after disappearing for hours to meet the band only to brag about it.

I seem to recall the band actually does not like the same people up front night after night. They tried to combat the problem during Vertigo by using the computer entry system to decide who got into the ellipse.

This problem can easily be solved. I saw a show a few years ago. They distributed wristbands from 8:00 am until 4:00 pm. At 5:00, everyone got back in line according to their number. A number was drawn out of a hat. That became the first person in line. It gives everyone the same chance.

This problem can easily be solved. I saw a show a few years ago. They distributed wristbands from 8:00 am until 4:00 pm. At 5:00, everyone got back in line according to their number. A number was drawn out of a hat. That became the first person in line. It gives everyone the same chance.

Similar to The Bruce Method.

The other problem with these unofficial lines is that the venues do not enforce the rules. I arrived at the Rose Bowl at 7:00 am for the 360 show. There was at least 500 people already in line. I waited all day. After the gates opened I could see there was chaos up front. I left the line and went to a different entrance on the side of the stadium and was inside in 10 minutes. I walked right into the center section and was on the rail slightly off to one side. was probably less than 50 people on the floor at that time.

ahhh i'm uncomfortable simply bashing the idea of waiting for a while and/or trying to get close or wanting to meet one's heroes.

but there's a way to do it, and there's a way not to do it.

which is my point. I do not care enough to put myself through these shenanigans.

But, hell yeah, if I could just sacrifice 72 hours of my lives to meet the band, I'd do it. For sure. It just sounds like there is a monopoly and my 72 hours would be wasted so some asshat with unlimited funds can meet them for the 100th time

who has the time to spend days in line? i'd guess people without jobs, family, a life in general. not the type of people I'd be inclined to want to spend a lot of time with anyhow.

throw in the 'superfan' bullshit attitude (based on what I am reading, not what I have experienced) and I am going to be perfectly happy not being near any of these yahoos.

plan is to arrive CenturyLink Field on Sunday with my wife at around 6:30, grab a cold beer, and hang out where there is some space. Just like on I+E. I want music and a good show, don't need to be in hero worship mode.

who has the time to spend days in line? i'd guess people without jobs, family, a life in general. not the type of people I'd be inclined to want to spend a lot of time with anyhow.

throw in the 'superfan' bullshit attitude (based on what I am reading, not what I have experienced) and I am going to be perfectly happy not being near any of these yahoos.

plan is to arrive CenturyLink Field on Sunday with my wife at around 6:30, grab a cold beer, and hang out where there is some space. Just like on I+E. I want music and a good show, don't need to be in hero worship mode.

:up:

:applaud:

Eh, the old chestnut about "no job, no life" thing is lame. People work and save their vacation time to go from show to show every few years. Who cares what someone does with their money or vacation time?

And for as silly as I think it is, a lot of them have a blast in line with their friends, so whatever floats your boat, as long as you're not being a shady dick about it and starting lines before you're in the city, or being entitled about "your" spot, or that sort of bullshit.

Eh, the old chestnut about "no job, no life" thing is lame. People work and save their vacation time to go from show to show every few years. Who cares what someone does with their money or vacation time?

And for as silly as I think it is, a lot of them have a blast in line with their friends, so whatever floats your boat, as long as you're not being a shady dick about it and starting lines before you're in the city, or being entitled about "your" spot, or that sort of bullshit.

Well, as we know, the people who actually 'spend' 'days' in line actually are the shady dicks. It's the people who show up the day of who are the ones you want to hang out with :p

What if you are buying someone's spare GA but can't get into town until 3pm because of work/flights? You have to go in together. It is the rules. But you won't be showing up until right before gates open.

Caveat: Say you really have no interest in running through the gates to grab a close spot. Rather, you intend to hit the beer line and wait an hour for your friends who have their own tickets and will be arriving right before Mumford. You want to watch the show with them. Does rationality prevail?

What if you are buying someone's spare GA but can't get into town until 3pm because of work/flights? You have to go in together. It is the rules. But you won't be showing up until right before gates open.

Caveat: Say you really have no interest in running through the gates to grab a close spot. Rather, you intend to hit the beer line and wait an hour for your friends who have their own tickets and will be arriving right before Mumford. You want to watch the show with them. Does rationality prevail?

In general U2 GA lines are not cool with that. You can try, but I'd advise to show up when the person who has the tix wants to show up.

Also, it may depend on how the venue handles things. If the venue issues wristbands, it won't be possible to do this.

If you're not waiting in line all day, you don't get a spot held. Period. No saving spots, no making a list and putting people on it who aren't there for the majority of the day. Show up and wait, or take your chances with everyone else.

This is coming from somebody who has zero interest in waiting all day. I did it once, it was fine - but there's so many ways to get close now that i don't have any strong desire to do it again. I'm cool.

If you have no interest in running to the front, then why wait in line?

This tour I'm especially fine with walking in whenever because the open floor is probably going to kinda suck anyway. Hang off to the side and you're still closer than the folks in the stands who paid thrice as much.

indeed. wait in line? we're cool. be a shady dick and have a hidden list that only those with an "in" can get on? we're not cool. save spots for people showing up hours later? also, not cool.

i'm friends with a few of the better known "super fans," and one in particular who gets a decent amount of attention (positive and negative). he very much has a job and a life, and is actually incredibly fun to hang out with away from this U2 "thing." how do you think these people who travel the world and are always in front have the income to do so if they didn't have jobs? and in many cases, well paying ones?

fans have different levels of fandom, and as long as it doesn't cross the line into stalking behavior and general dickishness, who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom