It's GA "line" shenanigan time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to work at Music Plus MANY years ago and we were a Ticketmaster outlet. For any of the big show ticket sales, they would announce that wristbands would be handed out at a certain time, for an hour. People would show up, wristbands handed out ---- last call? and then a random # was drawn. That # (say, "536") was first in line, then it went in order by wristband # after that (537 was #2 in line, etc) until the last # that was handed out before last call. Anyone that showed up after last call fell in line after the last wristband # when everyone returned in the morning. The draw was usually done around 5:00 PM the day before. Done deal. We never had a riot.
Yep, sounds like Springsteen's lottery system. Would be perfect for stopping this craziness.

We should not assume that this asshole named Nate is being honest with his claim that the venue gave out the numbered wristbands. In fact, I think it's bullshit.

We don't seem to have this number nonsense in Europe either- get to the venue and join the line- with some exceptions we simply made sure we were at the venue about an hour before the gates opened and got gold circle ( Paris, Brussels, Rome 2010) and morning of the concert (Cardiff, Dublin 2009)

But good luck to those prepared to spend 2 days camping on concrete and then several hours squashed up against the barrier- wouldn't do it myself

I suspect the same thing that happened in 2009 may happen again with the original "list" being disregarded.

2MyHvym.gif

We should not assume that this asshole named Nate is being honest with his claim that the venue gave out the numbered wristbands. In fact, I think it's bullshit.

I agree, can't see venue staff handing a box of wristbands to some fans and saying, "go to Starbucks and hand these out to folks, and bring me back a venti half-caf vanilla latte with foam"

Sorry if this has been posted a load of times before but I only just saw it the other day (well, I got about 5 minutes in and skimmed through the rest over lunch)

The two women running the line at the start (who made the the movie) are nice enough. Decided to run a line in, thought it'd be fun, and seem pretty big on the whole "if you're in line, actually be in line" thing, which is cool.

Then a bunch of regular line runners show up, get all shitty and, as you'd expect, simply take over it's so mean :lol:These people show up late in Toronto, get annoyed because someone beat them at their own game then say they're now running the line with their friends...who are still in Montreal??

I did feel sorry for the original runners watching it but they seemed to laugh it off. (well one does, the other seems pretty pissed) Guess it's not much use chucking a wobbly at the time if you're trying to make a movie about the situation!

Worth it just for the outraged guy at around 3:45ish in the video who's shown up asking "Who started this line? And why so early?" I don't know maybe because they're actually at the venue and not Montreal, ya fucking mook.

Also, the wristbands weren't venue issued. Numbers were written on them with sharpies. I'm floored that the honorable list keepers would flat out lie. :shocked:

I'm starting up the GA line for the 6/18 Philly show. I bought a box of 500 wristbands and 500 sharpies on amazon. Send me $5 thru paypal and I'll send you an "official" JTT 2017 Philly GA wristband and sharpie set. I will assign you a number to write on your wristband and your hand. Please don't use any other sharpie as only the "official" sharpie will be honored. Check ins will be every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday until show weekend by sending me $1 thru paypal. When you arrive at the venue, disregard any competing lines and proceed to the front of the"official" line, find me and pay me $10 and I'll validate your wristband.

Also, the wristbands weren't venue issued. Numbers were written on them with sharpies. I'm floored that the honorable list keepers would flat out lie. :shocked:

Ahahahaha this keeps getting better.

I'm starting up the GA line for the 6/18 Philly show. I bought a box of 500 wristbands and 500 sharpies on amazon. Send me $5 thru paypal and I'll send you an "official" JTT 2017 Philly GA wristband and sharpie set. I will assign you a number to write on your wristband and your hand. Please don't use any other sharpie as only the "official" sharpie will be honored. Check ins will be every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday until show weekend by sending me $1 thru paypal. When you arrive at the venue, disregard any competing lines and proceed to the front of the"official" line, find me and pay me $10 and I'll validate your wristband.

I'm not sure if this is a joke or a terrifying vision of queuing for the Innocence + Experience + Ascent + Solar Tour in 2027.

Somehow I can't get multi quote to work, so I will just write this without the quotes.

Some of my friends and other people that I know, lined up for the Santa Clara show at Levi's Stadium. I did not line up until approx. 3.30 pm. But I did go by the morning of the show to say hello to my friends. The gates to the stadium were going to open at 2 pm. So I was't sure if I would see them otherwise.

Anyway, when I went by in the morning, I learned the following : the people running the line did get venue wristbands. They were a solid color and hand numbered. I wouldn't be surprised if the line runners had to number the venue wristbands themselves. This happened, because u2's people also got involved and worked with the venue and the line runners. Probably to prevent a repeat of what happened in Vancouver and Seattle. At 2 pm venue security would start scanning credit cards in line order and people got a second wristband (the ga floor one with the tree on it). Then the line had to wait in line order at a different spot after the security gates. And wait there until Levi's opened the 'gate' to enter the field. At 5 pm the 1st 50 people would be walked to the field. After that the next group of 50. Etcetera. There were 500 venue wristbands.

I don't think that post from Nate is bullshit. He was one of the first people in line in Santa Clara. So what he posted on Facebook sounds about right if you compare it to the Santa Clara GA line up.

I would not be surprised if this is how the GA line up will continue to go for the rest of the American shows. Not sure about Europe. I don't think Europe does the paper list with check-in times. You get in, you get your hand numbered, you stay in line, you can leave for a bathroom break, a bite to eat, maybe a shower, but not for hours on end.

Headache is right, the band can easily fix this lining up 2 days in advance to get rail craziness. But they don't. Who knows, maybe they are under the impression that by giving the line runners the venue numbered wristbands they are giving the fans what they want.

It would be so easy for u2's people to do the Bruce Springsteen thing! Now that I think about it perhaps it is time for some pushback. So u2's people don't only hear from the line runners.

I am not less of a fan, because I don't want to lineup 2 days in advance. I would love to be at the rail (by luck of the draw). But once a tour would be enough. LOL

There is an even simpler way to do it. Most of the GA tickets have a row and seat number on it. Why not do something with that!! Perhaps have a separate pre-sale fanclub GA line that has to line up in order of row and seat # at a certain time the day of the show.
That would be more random.
And that way people who can't line up days in advance, still have a chance to be front row, if they wanted too.

Second GA line (for those who do want to spent days in line) goes in after the pre-sale fanclub ticket holders or a certain amount of minutes after or simultaneously (for all I care).

Or just do seated GA. Yup, there I said it. They have done it before. They can do it again.

I don't like this secretly stuff either. The whole if you know the right people, then blah, blah, blah. I even know some of the right people. LOL. (Perhaps not anymore after I have posted this. But oh well). And most, if not all of them are really nice. But sorry, not sorry, I am just not going to line up 2 days in advance.

Sharing this, because I hope it provides some of you with the info you wanted to know or are/were searching for.

No clue, if anybody I know, will be reading this. But if this causes me to be held out of the loop. So be it. I am at an age that I don't care what somebody else thinks of me. I know who I am. And if you can't handle me sharing this info, well then, it's you who has a problem and not me.

How have people been about one person arriving early and saving a spot for other members of their party, thanks to the cc thing?

But does it have the appropriate wristband with a number? I hear Ordinary Love is hoarding magic markers.

For Springsteen shows in Europe, I have known people completely skip night 1 of a 2 night stand so to get a single digit number for night 2. So in effect there are two different lists running in parallel. Crazy behaviour!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using U2 Interference mobile app

For Springsteen shows in Europe, I have known people completely skip night 1 of a 2 night stand so to get a single digit number for night 2. So in effect there are two different lists running in parallel. Crazy behaviour!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using U2 Interference mobile app
That's less crazy than leaving a show that isn't over yet so that you can get back on line for the next night's show...

No bitching to be had. GA lines ran smooth yesterday and thus far today. Amazing what a little organization can do.

There was some great work and communication between a handful of fans, U2 management and the venue that assured it would be a repeat of 2009.

So any hate directed towards those that put in the time and effort is hate misdirected.

Guess what? They started the GA "line" yesterday! God, I can't wait for the bitching when Red Zone gets let in first. "But I signed up for a list! Bono needs to see me on the rail!"

It seems I was wrong about the list keepers issuing their own wristbands. My apologies.

I still maintain they shouldn't be starting this list bullshit. U2's official policy since 360 has been no camping out. Yet, Craig Evans continues to work with venues to make sure the list is enforced. It's maddening. I remember someone posting about Pearl Jam's GA policy explicitly stating no lists or lineups being honored prior to venues allowing people to queue. Like Headache said, the band and their people can stop this nonsense and they choose not to.

How have people been about one person arriving early and saving a spot for other members of their party, thanks to the cc thing?

Curious about this also. I have 4 ga's on my card. 2 of us could line up all weekend for the 6/18 show, the other 2 not till after lunch on show day.

It seems I was wrong about the list keepers issuing their own wristbands. My apologies.

I still maintain they shouldn't be starting this list bullshit. U2's official policy since 360 has been no camping out. Yet, Craig Evans continues to work with venues to make sure the list is enforced. It's maddening. I remember someone posting about Pearl Jam's GA policy explicitly stating no lists or lineups being honored prior to venues allowing people to queue. Like Headache said, the band and their people can stop this nonsense and they choose not to.
PJ and Springsteen have much better GA policies than U2. I give them credit that after Vancouver they've been out and about more, and it seems that U2 staff have helped move things along on show day... but they could put a stop to all of these shenanigans it they wanted to. It's likely just not something that they're overly aware of.

It's GA "line" shenanigan time!

The line runners will not hand you a venue issued numbered wristband until your group is complete.

And just to give an indication, in Santa Clara there were 500 venue wristbands and they ran out of them somewhere between 12.30 pm and 1 pm. This was a weekday show of course.

Sicy and I went in line around 3.30 pm and we could have gotten pretty close to front central or b-stage. 5 rows back? Maybe even less? since we wanted easy in and out (for drinks, bathroom, etc) and space to dance and move around, we went for the soundboard area.
When we walked in, you could still get rail all the way to the right (but not in front of the band).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom