Introducing my nephew to U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CosmoKramer

Rock n' Roll Doggie
edit: I should have titled this thread…"Introducing my nephew to U2"…lol but you get what I meant

Tonight I am headed to Meadowlands Stadium (Giants Stadium) to see the Joshua Tree Tour 2017.

I am bringing my 20 year old nephew with me who has never been to a concert before, so it will be his first. He knows U2 because his father (my older brother) is a big 80s U2 fan (doesn't follow them anymore as he lost interest in them after Achtung Baby…Zooropa forward he hasn't cared at all for them).

My nephew doesn't hate U2, doesn't like U2, he just has no opinion and to me that is much worse then hating U2 as indifference quickly leads to irrelevance. I am very optimistic that after tonight, he will have an opinion about them.

I only hope that both U2 and the crowd bring their A game tonight. For me, U2 has always been amazing live but some times the crowd can either dull the experience or lift it into the heavens and I am hoping for the latter.

I also really hope that the show is sold out and they don't have sections closed in the uppers like they did during my 2nd PopMart show at Giants Stadium when there were only about 33k or so in attendance (the 3rd Popmart I am taking about, the 2nd show seemed to be sold out).

I am really excited to introduce him to this band in their true form….live!!!! Im also interested to hear his thoughts on WTSHNN live as to me that song is at another level.

Ill post his reaction soon to the songs and the over all experience.

:wave:

A couple of items:

The stadium is named MetLife Stadium. Giants Stadium was torn down years ago.

Don't try to "sell" your nephew on U2. He'll have to form an opinion on his own, be it good, bad, or indifferent. Hopefully, he has fun because a band like U2 comes along once in a lifetime.

edit: I should have titled this thread…"Introducing my nephew to U2"…lol but you get what I meant

Tonight I am headed to Meadowlands Stadium (Giants Stadium) to see the Joshua Tree Tour 2017.

I am bringing my 20 year old nephew with me who has never been to a concert before, so it will be his first. He knows U2 because his father (my older brother) is a big 80s U2 fan (doesn't follow them anymore as he lost interest in them after Achtung Baby…Zooropa forward he hasn't cared at all for them).

My nephew doesn't hate U2, doesn't like U2, he just has no opinion and to me that is much worse then hating U2 as indifference quickly leads to irrelevance. I am very optimistic that after tonight, he will have an opinion about them.

I only hope that both U2 and the crowd bring their A game tonight. For me, U2 has always been amazing live but some times the crowd can either dull the experience or lift it into the heavens and I am hoping for the latter.

I also really hope that the show is sold out and they don't have sections closed in the uppers like they did during my 2nd PopMart show at Giants Stadium when there were only about 33k or so in attendance (the 3rd Popmart I am taking about, the 2nd show seemed to be sold out).

I am really excited to introduce him to this band in their true form….live!!!! Im also interested to hear his thoughts on WTSHNN live as to me that song is at another level.

Ill post his reaction soon to the songs and the over all experience.

:wave:

Don't think you'll have to worry about it being empty. As of today there are currently 14 tickets left to be had. Probably going to be one of highest attended shows this tour after the Rose Bowls.

As for winning him over. I hope the show will do that on it's own. I think an IE show would probably be better. I think newer songs and a little more passion and "selling" from the band on tours with new material are always more high energy.
I'm sure he'll love it, and maybe lend him some albums that might hit his taste. Whether that's 90's type stuff or maybe ATYCLB or SOI or something.

Last edited:
Don't think you'll have to worry about it being empty. As of today there are currently 14 tickets left to be had. Probably going to be one of highest attended shows this tour after the Rose Bowls.

I think you are right, Lumineers are on now and seats all the way at the very top are filled up. This place is going to be packed by the time the U2 take the stage.

his father (my older brother) is a big 80s U2 fan (doesn't follow them anymore as he lost interest in them after Achtung Baby…Zooropa forward he hasn't cared at all for them)

HIS LOSS.

(well, up to 1997 at least)

So, we went to the show and save for the traffic, which was horrendous........

We got to the stadium about 2 hours before the opening act, so we had some beer and sandwiches and just hung out, which he had fun.

He thought the music was "pretty good". I could tell he really liked Streets, In God Country, Beautiful Day and Vertigo because he filmed those songs a land was bobbing his head and enjoying them. He thought that the atmosphere was unbelievable, by that I mean the crowd size and participation (the phones out during Bad that lit up the stadium he thought was very cool). He also mentioned that the screen had some very cool graphics and visuals and that it was massive and made the show that much better. The only downer was that after SBS, two guys came and had seats next to him and one of those guys, the one directly next to him, was really drunk and screaming the words to each song and throwing his hands in the air and in front of him as he yelled them. Then after a couple of songs he sat down a lit up a joint during Running to Stand Still. When he was done, he stood up and started yelling to his friend "Bro...Bro...Bro...I love you"...over and over. The fact that RTSS is a more subdued song, made his yelling that much more obnoxious. He then simmered down by the end of the JT set.

Over all he had a good time and was really impressed with the live spectacle that is U2. I only wish I could have taken him to 360 as THAT was the ultimate stage and even I was incredibly impressed with those visuals.

I was already a fan from the age of 6 and it took about 11 years to finally get to go to a U2 concert. Saw the I+E tour and had the time of my life. As for your nephew, I'm glad he was old enough to be introduced to U2 by going to a show. I kinda wish that had happened with me.

Back
Top Bottom