How do you want to see Running to Stand Still performed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How would you like them to play Running to Stand Still?

• Total voters

cobl04

45:33
A few options here.

- faithful to the record - country twang guitar at the start, mostly piano throughout, harmonica to end, no extra

- JT tour - piano throughout, harmonica to end with no extra

- Lovetown - piano throughout, "still running" / harmonica to end

- Lovetown, Point Depot style - piano throughout, "still running" / harmonica / Dirty Old Town

- ZooTV - guitar throughout, "alle alle alleluja" / harmonica to end (only problem with this option is that it segued in Streets, which was the pinnacle of music history imo. but I'm sure they could still do it and then just fade it out into RHMT)

- Vertigo Tour - piano throughout, guitar intermission, "halle halle hallelujah" / harmonica to end

What I want in my wildest dreams - ZooTV style or Point Depot style.

What I want more realistically - Vertigo style

What I think they will do and I'll happily accept - JT tour style

I got a "still running" piano RTSS on Vertigo, so ideally I'd like the ZooTV guitar version or something close to it.

But as long as it doesn't have that awful country twang guitar at the start I'm happy with anything.

Wow, three way tie. I'm hoping for a "faithful to the album version" Think all the songs should be played as close to how they where played 30 years ago.

I'm hoping they scrap the running order, but they play the JT songs in a cluster in the middle of the show, or at the end. The main reason being that they could use the ZooTV arrangement of RTSS and segue into Streets. I think this order could work:

With or Without You
Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still
Where the Streets Have No Name
One Tree Hill
Exit
In God's Country
Red Hill Mining Town
Trip Through Your Wires
I Still Haven't Found
Mothers of the Disappeared

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I really hope all the songs are full band versions, that's the main thing for me. I'll take any of those arrangements.

ZooTv of course, but most versions of RTSS are simply great.

What makes the ZooTV version is the riff and the backing synths (including pulsing bass). AFAIK, that guitar riff has not showed up since 1993. Bring it back.

Anyway...the only thing that's gonna flat piss me off is if they don't do a full Exit.

Beyond that, I really hope for an electric IGC.

Better yet - I hope they don't do any lazy acoustic-only versions of any of TJT.

The Zoo TV version is superior. The way it was acted out and segued into Streets is one of the greatest things I've ever seen at a show.

I'm specifically referencing the professionally shot Sydney show, don't know if it was perfect all the time, but it certainly was that night.

I'll very happy if they recreate those elements, even if it segues into RHMT.

If they did the reverse order thing, they could revisit the Zoo TV version where they snippeted The End with various Apocalypse Now helicopter and gun-type sound effects. This would be a perfect segue into Bullet.

Last edited:
I'd love to hear RTSS played how it was on Zoo TV especially after the current arrangement they're playing for Bullet. Even the Zooropa snippet at the end sounds a little like they're about to start playing RTSS.

Realistically though, I think they'll go back to the usual piano led version. They always carefully pick their setlists with an imaginary first-time attendee in mind, who they're scared of pissing off :wink:
Now they know exactly what this imaginary person will be expecting, which is probably to hear The Joshua Tree pretty close to the record, so a revival of the Zoo TV version's probably unlikely :/

I'm guessing they'll do it into Streets again since The Edge said they don't want to go in order.

I'm guessing they'll do it into Streets again since The Edge said they don't want to go in order.

That's actually not what he said.

Are you going to play the album in sequence at the shows?

I believe we will, and I say "believe we will" because that is certainly the working assumption right now.

The show might not necessarily start with Track One, Side One, "Where the Streets Have No Name," because we feel like maybe we need to build up to that moment, so we're still in the middle of figuring out exactly how the running order will go, so yes. We will be playing the album in sequence.

That. That's what he said.

Last edited:
Though I think ZOO TV's Running to Stand Still is one of the best things they've come up with, it would seem weird to me to play this version on this specific tour.
The Love Town version is close enough to the album version while adding the sing-along "still running ..." bit gives it that something extra that U2 shows need.

RTSS during ZOOTV was kinda their peak really, for me. I'd love to know how they came up with that. In rehearsals? Was it a discarded Achtung riff they carried over? What about the pulsing bass loop? Who came up with that?
But i can't see them doing that this tour. It's such an absolutely zootv moment.

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

RTSS during ZOOTV was kinda their peak really, for me. I'd love to know how they came up with that. In rehearsals? Was it a discarded Achtung riff they carried over? What about the pulsing bass loop? Who came up with that?
But i can't see them doing that this tour. It's such an absolutely zootv moment.

My favorite part was lifting the "halle, halle, hallelujah" ending from the gospel outro of "A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel". I always wondered how it came to be that Bono (or Edge) got the idea to pull a backing vocal from a 4-year-old B-side and turn it into an epic, showstopping moment in a completely different song. I guess they thought it never found the right home.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom