How crowded is Red Zone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ORDinary Gold

Babyface
I have a friend who wants to go to the Minneapolis show and is leaning towards seats rather than GA because her husband doesn't like crowds too much and she's nervous about keeping track of her kids on the field.

But how would Red Zone be for that? If it's not too too crowded, maybe her husband can handle it. It's certainly small enough that you don't have to worry about losing a couple teenagers in there, right?

Seems to me for the same(ish) price, RZ is a much better deal than seats.

I have a friend who wants to go to the Minneapolis show and is leaning towards seats rather than GA because her husband doesn't like crowds too much and she's nervous about keeping track of her kids on the field.

But how would Red Zone be for that? If it's not too too crowded, maybe her husband can handle it. It's certainly small enough that you don't have to worry about losing a couple teenagers in there, right?

Haven't been to JT17 RZ yet (doing so in Philly though), but for 360 it was a fantastic and relaxing experience. Strolled in at a reasonable hour, easy to get a nice spot, go back and forth to the bathroom, and there's a bar. At the time, our son was 11 I think. This time, he's 17 and about 6ft. But we're taking our short 11 year old daughter as well.

Cant say for sure about how much your friends husband hates crowds, but we did GA for Dublin and the difference between GA and RZ is like night and day. Again, though, haven't done it yet for this tour, but from what I am seeing, it seems pretty similar.

I did the RZ for the first time in Seattle this year and as long as you don't want to be right up front, you'll have plenty of space. Way more space than I was anticipating. The people in there seem to move around quite a bit too so you can get all different vantage points as the show goes on. Expensive but if you can afford it, it can be worth it if you like creature comforts (there's a bar just for RZ and also some places have their own bathrooms I understand) and also not having to rough it in GA all day. My wife is pretty short and after a mishap during the Vertigo tour where a overly excited fan elbow smashed her in GA as the band came on, she refused to do GA anymore. She told me after the RZ experience, she'd do it again anytime.

Debating the same thing myself. Considering splurging on the Mpls show, trying to decide between close, pricy seats and red zone. Did GA in Chicago last weekend, I couldn't see the band all that well and these old over-40 bones were pooped. RZ sounds like a sweet deal, though having a slightly elevated seat is tempting, too, especially if the opener is meh.

Red Zone is crowded on the rail, empty at the back. But a rail spot in RZ is great, particularly for the kids. Unimpeded views, very close to the band at times. How badly does friend's hubby hate crowds? A rail spot makes crowds much more bearable. Being stuck in the middle of a heaving GA crowd sucks, but being on the RZ rail you have nobody in front of you, friends beside you, & don't really notice the crowd behind you. Plus the rail offers something to hold on to (& even sit down against pre-show), making the standing experience not quite so energy sapping. If there's issues, getting off the rail & to the back of RZ won't be too hard, as you don't have that far to travel, unlike the front of GA, which would be a nightmare. Just note, that for 360, you could get a rail spot arriving not long before gates opened. For this tour people have worked it out, & you seem to have to arrive a bit earlier to guarantee a RZ rail.

If you don't want to fork out a load of cash there's one place in GA I've been recommending for shorter people & those with kids. You'll get good sightlines & it won't be as pushy as the front of GA. It's the RAIL BEHIND THE RED ZONE. It's up the sideline, sandwiched between the expensive seats & expensive RZ. So you get some of the advantages of a RZ rail, with good sightlines & something to hold on to. You're just not so close as RZ, but you only have to pay a quarter of the RZ price. Here's a pic of the spot.
C_qzqqxXsAINAjq.jpg

I'd recommended this spot to someone with kids over on @u2 forums. It worked out perfectly for him.
https://forum.atu2.com/index.php/topic,31277.0.html

To get a rail here I think you'd have to arrive just before gates opened. So probably later than what you'd need to be to get a rail spot in the RZ.

Last edited:
Red Zone is crowded on the rail, empty at the back. But a rail spot in RZ is great, particularly for the kids. Unimpeded views, very close to the band at times. How badly does friend's hubby hate crowds? A rail spot makes crowds much more bearable. Being stuck in the middle of a heaving GA crowd sucks, but being on the RZ rail you have nobody in front of you, friends beside you, & don't really notice the crowd behind you. Plus the rail offers something to hold on to (& even sit down against pre-show), making the standing experience not quite so energy sapping. If there's issues, getting off the rail & to the back of RZ won't be too hard, as you don't have that far to travel, unlike the front of GA, which would be a nightmare. Just note, that for 360, you could get a rail spot arriving not long before gates opened. For this tour people have worked it out, & you seem to have to arrive a bit earlier to guarantee a RZ rail.

If you don't want to fork out a load of cash there's one place in GA I've been recommending for shorter people & those with kids. You'll get good sightlines & it won't be as pushy as the front of GA. It's the RAIL BEHIND THE RED ZONE. It's up the sideline, sandwiched between the expensive seats & expensive RZ. So you get some of the advantages of a RZ rail, with good sightlines & something to hold on to. You're just not so close as RZ, but you only have to pay a quarter of the RZ price. Here's a pic of the spot.
C_qzqqxXsAINAjq.jpg

I'd recommended this spot to someone with kids over on @u2 forums. It worked out perfectly for him.
https://forum.atu2.com/index.php/topic,31277.0.html

To get a rail here I think you'd have to arrive just before gates opened. So probably later than what you'd need to be to get a rail spot in the RZ.

This is superhelpful. I think he'd be fine towards the back of RZ - even if the kids separate and try the rail. The kids aren't that young - my friends are worried about losing them in a sea of 8,000. they'll be fine in 450.

I'm sure I can't convince them to do regular GA, even with your sound advice about the back rail of RZ.

Do you mind if I ask at what time (relative to show time) your photo was taken?

Thanks!

No worries. Not my photo, just found it online. Funny thing is, CalgaryAndrew, the guy I was offering advice in the @u2 forum thread I listed above, actually ended up in that exact spot, at this show, right behind the bald headed security guard (though it wasn't his photo either). He arrived at 5:10, with gates opening at 5:30. I'd presume the photo was taken not too long after gates opened, within half an hour, as the GA rail is still free, & Andrew hasn't arrived at that spot yet.

He uploaded a few photos of the concert, just to show what the location was like. Show's the RZ pretty well.

Pre-show.
[http://goo.gl/photos/BnLSsChn3AoEspPk9

B-stage, from a 12 year old's perspective. RZ is crowded near the b-stage.
https://goo.gl/photos/4JWyRQNyWhUrcCCf6

View of the main stage. Which shows the RZ very well during the concert.
https://goo.gl/photos/w95b4H49QrNDixUB7

As you can see, the crowd is quite fluid in RZ during the show. Gravitating towards the b-stage when the band is here, then moving back closer towards the main stage.

Last edited:
Anyone have a pic of the collector's souvenir ticket?

I'm planning on making a shadow box for my mom's Christmas present and was going to include it in the frame. Thanks!

At the Miami show tonight the field was packed, but the Red Zone was nice and roomy. I know it was sold out, but there was plenty of space to move around. I could see open ground in the zone all evening.

I'd recommend it!

Back
Top Bottom