How about a bit of spontaneity ?? Is this the most laziest tour ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I expected little variation. But I also expected a better standard setlist.

So what that Beautiful Day has been reinvented when it sounds like trash. Little Things isn't much. I Will Follow has been played so rarely as to barely be relevant. And UV can blow me.

Mate I was bored shitless during the encore of London 1, 23 hours before the Great Crushing Disappointment.

And back in May, I think my excitement about ASOH, and my belief the setlist would shift and evolve (in its song inclusions as well as structure, since the encore seemed like such a work in progress), masked my broader disappointment with the setlist the band chose. I definitely remember thinking often "is this it?" and waiting for more songs to be rehearsed during those sessions in Vancouver, songs that never came. Specifically, my complaints focus on the following: there are not enough songs before JT, there should be a couple of Rattle and Hum songs after JT to end the main set with a bang, the encore should open with an in-your-face Achtung track, there are no JT b-sides not even Sweetest Thing, and where the sweet fuck is 40.

Holy shit man, maybe it's time to stop going to U2 shows for you. Better to give up your spot to some one who will enjoy their time at the concert instead. Maybe i'm reading it wrong? But seems to me it's been a long time since you enjoyed yourself at a U2 gig, so time to give it up, there are people out there ticketless who will have a better time... :|

Holy shit man, maybe it's time to stop going to U2 shows for you. Better to give up your spot to some one who will enjoy their time at the concert instead. Maybe i'm reading it wrong? But seems to me it's been a long time since you enjoyed yourself at a U2 gig, so time to give it up, there are people out there ticketless who will have a better time... :|

Mate I fucking loved the second half of JT. That's what I was there for and it delivered.

And if you're ticketless at showtime, frankly it's your own fault. Tickets aren't hard to come by in the days before a gig.

But hey, keep telling the guy who co-maintains a setlist database to not go to shows. You're kicking online goals there. I must hate the band.

if someone told me there would be a U2 tour where they regularly played 10 songs that have been rarely or never played over the last 30 years, plus a new, unreleased song at half the shows and ASOH at almost a third of them, plus Bad nearly every night I'd think they were crazy

sure, Miss Sarajevo isn't as good as it should be, Bad is played too early and 40 in inexplicably missing and there really should be some R&H tracks but it's sill an excellent set

I wish they'd play Dancing Barefoot with Patti Smith though. Hell, I wish they'd be her band.

No, it really is a shit set.

Honestly, basically every proposed set posted to Interference before this tour is better. I can't believe they've gone with this. It's so easy to tweak it into something brilliant too, that's what gets me.

hahahahahahahaha

prove me wrong, mate, how is your life so much better and cooler than mine

I cannot and would not claim my life is better than yours. So how about we stop trading insults, I have been complicit as well so I am done with that.

However, for my money I maintain this tour is a bore and the setlists are terrible (not just static which we expect from this band but simply poor choices). JT30 was and is designed to both put off the new record which they cannot seem to finish (no shock there) as well as serve their LN contract. No dishonor in either of those things individually but to pretend this tour is some sort of musical or artistic triumph is absurd.

I cannot and would not claim my life is better than yours. So how about we stop trading insults, I have been complicit as well so I am done with that.

However, for my money I maintain this tour is a bore and the setlists are terrible (not just static which we expect from this band but simply poor choices). JT30 was and is designed to both put off the new record which they cannot seem to finish (no shock there) as well as serve their LN contract. No dishonor in either of those things individually but to pretend this tour is some sort of musical or artistic triumph is absurd.

Well the album seems to be done according to recent activity, many folks enjoyed the tour, and I think it garnered some new interest; so the tour served some purpose.

Seven pages and no one has raised holy hell about "most laziest" in the thread title?

I AM CORI AND I AM HERE TO RAISE HOLY HELL

I think the encore setlist missed a huge opportunity . A day without me , drowning man , 11 oclock tick toc , 40 , wired , indian summer sky , MLK surrender, walk on , Gloria etc , all the above could just be relevant and mix it up with BD, Elevation , Vertigo ( all of which have now been played to death ) . The fact they havent thrown in the odd curve ball for the hardcore fans who have been with them over the last 30 years , in the pissing rain , ducking the bottles full of piss shows just how disconnected they have become from fans / music itself .

A celebration!!! :up:

Yes, Seattle. And hey, I enjoyed it so I'm not saying this whole thing is crap or anything. But by U2's very high standards, it falls well short of what this could have been.
So not quite a "bore" then..

What would interference be like without hyperbole eh ;)

Yes, Seattle. And hey, I enjoyed it so I'm not saying this whole thing is crap or anything. But by U2's very high standards, it falls well short of what this could have been.

:) you enjoyed it :)

Seattle is the show that got rave reviews aswell

On some of the other points you made in post above. I do totally agree that this tour has nothing to do with relevant songs etc etc it was a sweetener to keep livenation happy. Let's be honest here aswell I haven't read a review for any show lower then 4 stars, mainly all 5. So by in large it's kept everyone happy. For me twickenham 2 was arguably the best I've ever seen them

First thing it was a joy seeing JT played live , nothing can take that enjoyment away.

Outside the JT setlist , this really feels like a lazy showupforthemoney type gig . There is zero spontaneity and it now feels like a U2 gig is nothing more than like going to a theatre where the script is set with act one and act two firmly adhere too.

This has to be the worst encore set ever and not even trying to mix it up is very sad indeed.

As much as I tend to agree and that this tour in general does feel rather stale. Haven't U2 always been a tightly rehearsed band. To the point where even every step was choreographed?

I am certain that Bono's break dance moves in the middle of Exit throughout this tour have not been and will not ever be choreographed.

the goal is soul, but the tour is a bore.

many, many fans are checking out.

good luck with the next album, in 2018, 19 or whenever.
No surprise that you confuse good PR with a great show/tour.

If that's your yardstick, U2 are doing it all to plan. Love that you love it. I really do. God bless.
Orgeporgia, you can't have it both ways.

In the first post you say fans are checking out and good luck with the next album... when that's countered, you change to "difference between good PR and a good tour"

You're contradicting your self (shocker!)

While I enjoyed the 2nd night in Amsterdam much more than the first somehow (bar not having Bad again) It just left some sort of sour taste in my mouth, usually going to all Dutch dates ment something special to me, songlist wise. But now it all felt a bit scripted, I already knew I was gonna get I will follow when Mysterious ways was ommited. And with the solo being re-added, I didn't think that was a good thing :drool:

It all feels a bit lazy or business-like. Bono thinking of shine like stars during WOWY, putting mic against his face but still opts not to do it and remain quiet, then still waiting until after the song, I dunno, it was them following a script to the letter without any inspiration or spontaneity.

First half is superb though, 10 times better than the I/E tour. Was great hearing Bad as usual, ASOH, OTH, RTSS, didn't think Mothers of the Disappeared would be my favourite to hear beforehand, truly amazing.

Block of Elevation/Vertigo I just can't ever enjoy though, extremely boring encore :( What happened to Ultravoilet too? Used to be my favourite U2 song and on the 360 tour it was brilliant, now it felt very 'meh'. low energy.

Heck I missed the acoustic middle part of earlier tours and I always used to dread them if they went with Angel of Harlem+Desire combo, at least at that segment they'd alternate heavily between nights, something different at least.

Last edited:
I'm usually critic about the lack of spontaneity but this time the tour is very different, I wouldn't expect nor ask for something much different from what we're seeing each night.

First half is amazing (and trust me, usually I don't care that much about their 80s era) and the encore is pretty decent - they must stick to some of their most vibrant tunes to end the show on a high note.
The only song I think it's not that good is Miss Sarajevo but the rest is awesome. The sequence BDay - Elevation - Vertigo just turns a stadium into a real volcano, they get a massive reaction from the croud, and that's what we should expect from an encore.

Elevation and vertigo you could argue are the most well received songs out the whole set

One would think that someone would be offended at being called a member who was banned for being outed as a white nationalist...

He's definitely an alter, and I'm guessing a Trump supporter, but I have doubts he's Orangeropa. O's alters still like U2, and if he was pretending to be a progressive he'd say something over the top stereotypical liberal via Hannity/Tucker.

I'm usually critic about the lack of spontaneity but this time the tour is very different, I wouldn't expect nor ask for something much different from what we're seeing each night.

First half is amazing (and trust me, usually I don't care that much about their 80s era) and the encore is pretty decent - they must stick to some of their most vibrant tunes to end the show on a high note.
The only song I think it's not that good is Miss Sarajevo but the rest is awesome. The sequence BDay - Elevation - Vertigo just turns a stadium into a real volcano, they get a massive reaction from the croud, and that's what we should expect from an encore.

Yes, this (although I do care a lot about their 80s era).

The first four songs are great, great energy. Then JT came full circle, can't understand anyone would complain about that. I've heard Beautiful Day, Elevation and Vertigo way too many times, but the crowd went wild, I really enjoyed them. Ultraviolet is not as good as it was in 1992/1993 and the 360 versions were slightly better, but it's still a gem. I Will Follow was a high energetic closer, the whole stadium went nuts.

oh dear, you people are as hilarious as ever. you don't like or agree with the criticism, so - let's see - yes must be a white nationalist! No way is he a progressive like us - can't be! Loves Trump! Woo-hoo! :applaud:

Back
Top Bottom