How about a bit of spontaneity ?? Is this the most laziest tour ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who says they can't change now? That's an unfortunate sentiment and one that means they are doomed to the mediocre mindset they now have.

I have faith that they have a couple of tricks left up their sleeve...and am holding out for (at least) one more masterpiece.

You're conflating two different ideas here; static setlists have nothing to do with mediocre mindsets incapable of masterpieces.

As pointed out, we had static in the 80's and 90's and still received masterpieces.

You're conflating two different ideas here; static setlists have nothing to do with mediocre mindsets incapable of masterpieces.

As pointed out, we had static in the 80's and 90's and still received masterpieces.

No, I understand how my phrasing could lead you to say that. I think (hope, at least) that they are capable of shifting their approach in regards to set lists *and* creating another masterpiece.

I don't think they will ever be capable enough to have massively different set lists each night...but I do think they are capable of playing fewer warhorses and rotating a lot more songs in and out of their sets.

It's what I hope their last tour will be like (if not sooner).

The tour isn't over yet, they still have two legs left after Europe which they may or may not add a few spontaneity and a few songs here and there.

However I think that the feeling of lack of spontaneity throughout this tour is because The Joshua Tree is a very melodic album that represents a crossroads and a major transition in the band's history, especially when Achtung Baby and other albums followed. I would assume that most modern fans met U2 with their more rock-based albums (Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop, HTDAAB), while the old fans met them with their more melodic, classical, country-like albums like War, October, R&H and TJT.

There was a thread recently where some people complained about the lack of energy throughout this tour, so many hardcore fans cried outrage when this came up and subsequently the thread was locked and deleted. I believe it's all a matter of preference and the ability to recognize that this is a 40+ year musical historic band where you can't expect them to play whatever music you like from their historic catalog.

A select few are disappointed by getting BD / Elevation / Vertigo in a row during the encore, and perplexed by ASOH's position. The rest are enjoying the shows.

This argument is flimsy because the entire point of the tour was to play JT in its entirety. So, of course, we got those songs. I have been glad to hear them! But let's not pretend that they decided to do so for their hardcore fans.

Let's also not pretend that Ultraviolet and Miss Sarajevo aren't being played / performed in an uninspired way.

Miss Sarajevo needs Bono singing the Pavarotti part, but Ultraviolet sounds great. Have you seen the show? Or are you whinging without having actually seen it?

the goal is soul, but the tour is a bore.

many, many fans are checking out.

good luck with the next album, in 2018, 19 or whenever.

So much bullshit in this thread but this takes the cake of the lot. Idiotic. It's literally the other way around, this is the best PR the band has had in over a decade.

Miss Sarajevo needs Bono singing the Pavarotti part, but Ultraviolet sounds great. Have you seen the show? Or are you whinging without having actually seen it?

So much bullshit in this thread but this takes the cake of the lot. Idiotic. It's literally the other way around, this is the best PR the band has had in over a decade.

No surprise that you confuse good PR with a great show/tour.

If that's your yardstick, U2 are doing it all to plan. Love that you love it. I really do. God bless.

You're an idiot.

That's about the quality of response I expect from you, Mr. Mensa International.

Maybe if you took a break from being here 24/7 - you know - get a few other interests - you could start to think and write more clearly.

But hey - I'll admit - I do like checking in here every few weeks just for the inspiration that folks like you provide. Perhaps not the type of inspiration you would assume however.

"tHaTs AbOuT tHe QuAiLtY oF rEsPoNsE i ExPeCt FrOm yOu mR mEnSa InTeRnAtIoNaL"

1otk96.jpg

I can also bet that I have 15 times the social life that you do.

Also I work full-time in biotechnology media relations so I can write a hell of a lot better than you can.

Really ? You reckon being disingenuous ( ask your mum what that big word means btw) is class ? Jez how bullied where you at school you pathetic sycophant , you probably need a wet flannel on the head and a dark room to take those words in ,if you ever can , child

Wow wow wow that really nose dived didn't it :) how does one get so personal just because you didn't get the poster sarcasm :) I found it quite funny myself

You obviously didn't get the sarcasm in the original post that I said was "class" must be the English in me. Us English love abit of sarcasm

To answer your post I wasn't bullied at school and I'm not a child I'm married with children. But I do like to think that I'm abit like Peter Pan and will never grow up so I'll take that thanks :)

Right back to the original subject. What would everyone's setlist have been then?

Personally I loved the two shows I went to and would probably rank twickenham 2 right up there with the best ive ever seen them.

Setlist I'd go

1 Sunday Bloody Sunday
2 Gloria
3 I will follow
4 New Year's Day
5 pride
6 bad

7-17 Joshua tree

18 zoostation
19 even better then the real thing
20 one
21 beautiful day
22 little things

23vertigo

Something along them lines anyway, maybe switch I will follow and Gloria with out of control and electric co now and again and switch the achtung baby songs around with fly etc etc

This is what most live acts do though. It's quite rare that bands play different songs each night such as Bruce or Pearl Jam. We have been lucky during Vertigo and 360 but this is the norm that a band plays a regular setlist.

There was a thread recently where some people complained about the lack of energy throughout this tour, so many hardcore fans cried outrage when this came up and subsequently the thread was locked and deleted.

Um, no. Threads don't get closed for posters "crying outrage", and threads don't get deleted. But once again, nice try.

FWIW - and I've been one of U2's biggest critics on this forum - I think the encore is terrific :shrug: One sounds tremendous, Ultraviolet is one of their best songs, Beautiful Day has been reinvented, Little Things is great and ballsy, I Will Follow when it appears burns the house down.

Admittedly I was one of the lucky ones who got Bad in the encore (I imagine it loses a bit of punch coming in third) but it's so easy to bitch when you're not there.

And I think I can pretty safely say that had Ax's gig featured ASOH, his take would be entirely different.

In this tour I was not expecting a different setlist each night and in fact is very good the way it is.

I expected little variation. But I also expected a better standard setlist.

FWIW - and I've been one of U2's biggest critics on this forum - I think the encore is terrific :shrug: One sounds tremendous, Ultraviolet is one of their best songs, Beautiful Day has been reinvented, Little Things is great and ballsy, I Will Follow when it appears burns the house down.

So what that Beautiful Day has been reinvented when it sounds like trash. Little Things isn't much. I Will Follow has been played so rarely as to barely be relevant. And UV can blow me.

And I think I can pretty safely say that had Ax's gig featured ASOH, his take would be entirely different.

Mate I was bored shitless during the encore of London 1, 23 hours before the Great Crushing Disappointment.

And back in May, I think my excitement about ASOH, and my belief the setlist would shift and evolve (in its song inclusions as well as structure, since the encore seemed like such a work in progress), masked my broader disappointment with the setlist the band chose. I definitely remember thinking often "is this it?" and waiting for more songs to be rehearsed during those sessions in Vancouver, songs that never came. Specifically, my complaints focus on the following: there are not enough songs before JT, there should be a couple of Rattle and Hum songs after JT to end the main set with a bang, the encore should open with an in-your-face Achtung track, there are no JT b-sides not even Sweetest Thing, and where the sweet fuck is 40.

I expected little variation. But I also expected a better standard setlist.

So what that Beautiful Day has been reinvented when it sounds like trash. Little Things isn't much. I Will Follow has been played so rarely as to barely be relevant. And UV can blow me.

Mate I was bored shitless during the encore of London 1, 23 hours before the Great Crushing Disappointment.

And back in May, I think my excitement about ASOH, and my belief the setlist would shift and evolve (in its song inclusions as well as structure, since the encore seemed like such a work in progress), masked my broader disappointment with the setlist the band chose. I definitely remember thinking often "is this it?" and waiting for more songs to be rehearsed during those sessions in Vancouver, songs that never came. Specifically, my complaints focus on the following: there are not enough songs before JT, there should be a couple of Rattle and Hum songs after JT to end the main set with a bang, the encore should open with an in-your-face Achtung track, there are no JT b-sides not even Sweetest Thing, and where the sweet fuck is 40.

Yep.

I agree. I'm still pissed that they swapped out UV for Mysterious Ways. It was totally unexpected because that was the first show that Mysterious Ways was played. And UV is one of my favorite U2 songs, which made it even worse! The encore was enjoyable, as it was my first U2 show. However, it was pretty much just their biggest songs. I would have liked some sort of surprise thrown in there. I understand they have to please casual fans, but the hardcore fans need to be pleased to. We are the fans who follow them through thick and thin.

On the other hand, they DID play 6 little-played songs in a row (JT Side 2), so I can forgive them for the predictable encore. I just wish they would change up the setlist a bit more often. Perhaps throw in a surprise song or two on occasion that hasn't been played in awhile to please us hardcore fans.

I can also bet that I have 15 times the social life that you do.

Also I work full-time in biotechnology media relations so I can write a hell of a lot better than you can.

Wow. 'Biotech media relatons". Very impressive.

Dude you have no idea what a hole you are digging. I'd stop now.

Back
Top Bottom