How about a bit of spontaneity ?? Is this the most laziest tour ever - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > The Joshua Tree 2017 - Tour Central > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2017, 12:42 PM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhill View Post
I don't really want to argue the obvious. If you want to believe that this tour was designed to cater to the hardcore fans so be it.

There's just no way that's true.

The tour was defiantly not designed to cater for the hardcore fan.I mean it's the Joshua tree tour. U2's landmark album that every man and his dog owns. It's u2's big album, as much as I think achtung baby is better the Joshua tree is so much bigger and more popular.

I do think though that there is enough in the gigs to keep the hardcore fan happy. I honestly believe that. 5-6 rare tracks being played.

I don't buy that they done the tour because of the political changes, songs are relevant etc etc this was supposed to be the e&i tour, the tour in my opinion was done as a sweetener to live nation. Do the big stadiums guaranteed big crowds and big money touring the Joshua tree.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:09 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennowba View Post
The tour was defiantly not designed to cater for the hardcore fan.I mean it's the Joshua tree tour. U2's landmark album that every man and his dog owns. It's u2's big album, as much as I think achtung baby is better the Joshua tree is so much bigger and more popular.

I do think though that there is enough in the gigs to keep the hardcore fan happy. I honestly believe that. 5-6 rare tracks being played.

I don't buy that they done the tour because of the political changes, songs are relevant etc etc this was supposed to be the e&i tour, the tour in my opinion was done as a sweetener to live nation. Do the big stadiums guaranteed big crowds and big money touring the Joshua tree.
I totally agree here. Doing a tour to honor their most popular album's anniversary is what this was. It was not come hear old rare tunes. It was catering to older fans, fairweather fans, general music fans that may have had U2 on the bucket list and hell, maybe only own the JT and War or something.
I also think that the band probably figured that the die hard fans would still be happy hearing a handful of songs from JT that they have never gotten to hear live before, or for about 30 years.
Let this tour be what it is, and then moving forward, i hope we get a few rare nuggets.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:47 PM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:41 AM
I'm a die hard fan, I'm entitled to something special.

I know as a band you've always been this same exact way, but I deserve you to change now that you're almost 60. Why? Because I stood in the rain, or someone pissed on me, or something...
Old 07-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I suppose we could all be Soundgarden or Linkin Park fans and not see ANY songs played live anymore..

For what it's worth, I'm not above debate or whatever. But holding a band to be "lazy" when I don't even attend 98% of the shows on a tour might be a bit extreme if I said that, personally. And this literally the same discussion on every band's message board anyway. No one's ever going to be 100 percent happy with what's played anyway.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #20
Refugee

Quote:

I think they dropped the ball, primarily, in the third act of the show. While I admit that it's easy to play arm chair quarterback, it would have been better, IMO, for any type of fan if they had continued with the chronological setlist. Some rotations would have helped a lot as well.

One song from R&H (Desire Hollywood Remix - a hugely wasted opportunity - rotated with Heartland. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms is fun (like TTYW) and would have been perfect thematically. It's OK to rotate with a warhorse as long as it's not stale. Why no Zooropa or Pop love? Etc, etc.

As fun and energetic as some of the current songs may be in person, the songs just seem arbitrarily thrown together.

I don't think they have to pander as much playing crowd favorites to keep casual fans happy. If the songs are outstanding and played with spirit, a balance could be struck that both casuals and diehards alike would be pleased with.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:27 PM   #21
New Yorker

Quote:
I think they dropped the ball, primarily, in the third act of the show. While I admit that it's easy to play arm chair quarterback, it would have been better, IMO, for any type of fan if they had continued with the chronological setlist. Some rotations would have helped a lot as well.

One song from R&H (Desire Hollywood Remix - a hugely wasted opportunity - rotated with Heartland. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms is fun (like TTYW) and would have been perfect thematically. It's OK to rotate with a warhorse as long as it's not stale. Why no Zooropa or Pop love? Etc, etc.

As fun and energetic as some of the current songs may be in person, the songs just seem arbitrarily thrown together.

I don't think they have to pander as much playing crowd favorites to keep casual fans happy. If the songs are outstanding and played with spirit, a balance could be struck that both casuals and diehards alike would be pleased with.

Personally the best idea for me would have been to end with the big tracks from achtung baby. After all it was the sound of 4 men chopping the Joshua tree down. Just imagine the opening chords of zoo station and the screens turning blue and bono doing his zoo to thing.

Zoostation
Even better then the real thing
Until the end of the world
Mysterious ways
The fly
One

Switching wild horses and ultraviolet in now and again

I do see how this many scupper the achtung baby tour in 2021 though.

Pop ain't ever gonna see the light of day
Old 07-26-2017, 02:30 PM   #22
Refugee

Quote:
Personally the best idea for me would have been to end with the big tracks from achtung baby. After all it was the sound of 4 men chopping the Joshua tree down. Just imagine the opening chords of zoo station and the screens turning blue and bono doing his zoo to thing.

Zoostation
Even better then the real thing
Until the end of the world
Mysterious ways
The fly
One

Switching wild horses and ultraviolet in now and again
Not a bad idea...like they had to finish chopping it down? Or a reminder that they had to in the first place? Picture a chainsaw sound coming in right before Zoo Station!

That would have been preferable, personally. I wonder if they decided against that due to the revival AB had during 360?

Such execution would have helped avoid a bit of the nostalgia / heritage accusations as well...and would remind people that they have always looked towards the future.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:44 PM   #23
New Yorker

Quote:
Not a bad idea...like they had to finish chopping it down? Or a reminder that they had to in the first place? Picture a chainsaw sound coming in right before Zoo Station!

That would have been preferable, personally. I wonder if they decided against that due to the revival AB had during 360?

Such execution would have helped avoid a bit of the nostalgia / heritage accusations as well...and would remind people that they have always looked towards the future.

All will be forgiven with zoo tv 2 in 2021 :-) fingers crossed there still about for it to happen
Old 07-26-2017, 04:18 PM   #24
Babyface

Local Time: 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post

I know as a band you've always been this same exact way, but I deserve you to change now that you're almost 60. Why? Because I stood in the rain, or someone pissed on me, or something...
Clearly being a mug and submissive comes easy to you and it's probably the most you ever want to achieve in your cul du sac life and your quite happy with that , I salute you BVS

But I've always been the type to ask why the fuck not
Old 07-26-2017, 04:22 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

check out this photo of BVS i found today.

no need to add, sicy.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #26
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post

:-) :-) :-) class
Old 07-26-2017, 05:32 PM   #27
Babyface

Quote:
:-) :-) :-) class
Really ? You reckon being disingenuous ( ask your mum what that big word means btw) is class ? Jez how bullied where you at school you pathetic sycophant , you probably need a wet flannel on the head and a dark room to take those words in ,if you ever can , child
Old 07-26-2017, 05:47 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennesd72 View Post
why the fuck not
BECAUSE IT ISN'T U2. IT'S NEVER IN NEARLY 40 YEARS HOW U2 HAVE PERFORMED LIVE SHOWS. ASKING THEM TO CHANGE NOW IS LIKE ASKING FOR IT TO STOP GETTING DARK AT NIGHT.

Even the much-vaunted super-varied Lovetown Tour wasn't so much varied as it was compartmentalised. Blocks of songs were moved around rather than individual songs thrown around at random.

I did laugh at submissive mug though. That was funny.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:58 PM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Clearly being a mug and submissive comes easy to you and it's probably the most you ever want to achieve in your cul du sac life and your quite happy with that , I salute you BVS

But I've always been the type to ask why the fuck not
How did you know I live in a cul de sac? Do I have a new stalker? Aww, shucks, I'm flattered.

It's fine to ask why the fuck not, but it's like asking why not hip hop? Come on I deserve some hip hop.

It's not who they are. This is who they've been for almost 30 years, yet every tour this same thread gets made. It would be interesting if my dog learned to bring me a beer, some dogs do that, but I've accepted the fact that my dog is not one of those dogs. That's all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
check out this photo of BVS i found today.

no need to add, sicy.

That's my good side.

Quote:
Really ? You reckon being disingenuous ( ask your mum what that big word means btw) is class ? Jez how bullied where you at school you pathetic sycophant , you probably need a wet flannel on the head and a dark room to take those words in ,if you ever can , child

Why would you ask a victim how much they were bullied and then proceed to bully them? Are you that insecure about not getting the joke?
Old 07-26-2017, 05:58 PM   #30
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
BECAUSE IT ISN'T U2. IT'S NEVER IN NEARLY 40 YEARS HOW U2 HAVE PERFORMED LIVE SHOWS. ASKING THEM TO CHANGE NOW IS LIKE ASKING FOR IT TO STOP GETTING DARK AT NIGHT.

Even the much-vaunted super-varied Lovetown Tour wasn't so much varied as it was compartmentalised. Blocks of songs were moved around rather than individual songs thrown around at random.

I did laugh at submissive mug though. That was funny.
Who says they can't change now? That's an unfortunate sentiment and one that means they are doomed to the mediocre mindset they now have.

I have faith that they have a couple of tricks left up their sleeve...and am holding out for (at least) one more masterpiece.