Going to a show by yourself?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
So with the announcement of these new dates, I pretty much HAVE to go to Indianapolis, it's an easy 2 hour drive from my house. But I don't have anyone to go with. I'm actually already going to the Cleveland show, as part of a group of 6. We're doing GA, and it's gonna be awesome. Those are my "U2 friends", but none of them are as "enthusiastic" about their fandom as I am, and wouldn't consider going to a 2nd show on the same tour.

I already drug my wife with me to a 360 show. She had a good enough time, she likes U2. But I think her opinion on U2 (or any artist) is that once she sees them live ONCE, there's no reason to go again. She probably WOULD go with me again if I forced her to.. the prospect of Beck opening might convince her to go. But she's also a bit of a tight ass money wise (in addition to having a TIGHT ASS... :D ), even though we make decent money, and I'm not sure she'd want to go. She understands U2 is my one indulgence in life.

Part of me thinks it would be nice to just go to the show by myself. But that would involve driving 2 hours alone, being at a concert alone, and driving back 2 hours alone. I feel like I might get bored and feel like a loser. Then again, maybe it would be a rare chance to just soak in the U2 concert and enjoy it without any distractions. I'm not an introvert, I don't really value alone time for deep personal moments... I'm actually kind of the opposite. I'm a severe extrovert. I think I'm terrified of spending that much time alone. I just now am starting to get comfortable with the idea of grabbing lunch in a restaurant by myself.

Share your stories of going to concerts alone, anybody?

I'll bite.

I've been to two shows by myself.

In 1987 I moved to Omaha and knew 0 people; literally, except for 4 co-workers in a small office. I took a radio station tour bus and sat in some bleeders for a JT show in an old building called Kemper Arena in Kansas City. Got home at 4 AM or so; good show, fun people on the bus...purchased a pretty cool un-official tour merch shirt in the parking lot too.

Same venue for Elevation. Rode down with a co-worker; he had lower bowl, I had GA.
I spoke with Dallas Shoo a bit on the floor before the show, and managed to worm my way up to about 8 people back off the tip of the heart. Had a great time being that close and met a nice couple who were newbies... Bono sang about 2 or 3 minutes of When I Look At the World after Bad that night so between that snippet, a visit with Dallas and my place on the floor, pretty fond memories.

Bottom line for me -- going at it alone while not ideal can be a fun time... on some levels you can soak up the show and the crowd and just lose yourself in whatever thought or emotion you have peacefully.

I'd do it again.

I personally have more fun going to concerts alone. Went to the Miami show by myself (first time I went to a stadium concert alone), and I had a blast. It's a little overwhelming at first (being among that sea of people), but once it gets underway it's great to have fun without anyone caring.

My only piece of advice would be that when you leave the stadium, try to stay close to a group of people who might be going in the same direction you are.

I've been to some shows solo, often times when catching a late release of a single ticket that's just too good to pass up.
The beauty of it is you have nobody else's schedule/desires to deal with. (Can't tell you how many times when exiting a show and trying to get to the car to beat traffic my wife has uttered the words "I need to go to the bathroom first").
And never had an issue striking up a conversation with fellow concert goers to pass time, you obviously have something in common.

I actually recommend doing shows by yourself, especially if you're doing GA. You have no one else to wait on, you can just do everything on your time. The truth is, you're never really by yourself at a U2 show-- it's so easy to make friends with the people next to you, be it in line or in the venue. Do it-- don't miss a show!

I prefer going alone. Out of 14 shows, I went to one Outside Broadcast, two Zooropa and three Vertigo shows on my own, and will be in Tampa on my own tonight. I like doing my own thing on my own time and having my own experience.

Went to eight (Phoenix/2, Boston/4 and Dublin/2) IE shows in 2015.
Seven of them were solo, and I would do it all again.
People at U2 shows are so friendly!!
Still in touch with people I met in Phoenix and Dublin.
Go and enjoy!

I went to one show by myself in Phoenix during 360. I hated it but I generally hate going to shows alone. I did enjoy the solo road trip from LA and enjoyed having a place to stay all to myself.
I really didn't make friends with my GA neighbors but I admit that was on me.

With all that said, you won't have a problem making friends at the show. I still say go for it too.

I think I might do the same on the next tour after this one - while my wife will tolerate u2 she doesn't get anywhere near the same enjoyment I do. Will likely do red zone and queue early to get as close as possible which I wouldn't be able to do with the wife

Do it. I go to most concerts by myself. I'm more of an introvert, so I like the time by myself. Use the drivetime to listen to some new music, or music only you like.

U2 fans can be a friendly bunch, so you can talk to the folks around you.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Most concerts I see, I go alone. I prefer it that way. Like others have said, it means you don't have to work around anybody else's schedule or hope that they're enjoying themselves as much as you or want to stand in the same place or whatever. It's easier in practically every respect, and if you feel like chatting with somebody to pass the time, it's usually easy to strike up a conversation, even for somebody like me who can be a bit wary doing that. Going to shows alone is how I got to know heaps of people in the Melbourne music scene.

Someone offered me part of their meal while I was on the GA floor at Houston. Wouldn't have got that if I was part of a group.

Went to 1 of the Madison square Garden post 9/11 shows by myself. it was an awesome experience. I met people from all over the world. Truth is , you are never alone at a U2 show. Just say hello and be nice and people are nice back to you. You may go to the destination by yourself , but i bet you dont walk into the stadium by yourself. If you got GA's , the GA line is a small community in itself

Get GA, make friends in line. I've done plenty of shows by myself, or with people I've just met prior to the show.

Elevation, Slane. Up front by myself, 15 friends at the back, as they didn't want to wait in line.

Vertigo, a Sydney show by myself. Met some lovely girls in line. Told them to hang out by a mini b-stage with me. Bono held one of their hands & sang to them, so they were all pretty happy with the spot.

360 2009, traveled to Phoenix, Vegas & LA with guys I'd only just met online. We all had a great time & are now friends. Made other good friends in line too. Vancouver alone. Saw 2011 shows with these new friends.

I+E, London. Stayed in an Airbnb apartment with fans I met online. Saw 3 shows with them, & now keep in touch. 2 shows in Paris, made friends in line, & watched the show with them.

No TJT30 shows :sad:

Last edited:
I've gone to most concerts alone throughout my lifetime. You get a better seat when purchasing a single and the concert is usually too loud/overwhelming to permit conversation anyway. Dining alone sucks IMO but I don't really see any good reason not to go to a concert by yourself.

Also movies and dining alone? Act like you don't care and you get the boss treatment.

I've never got movies as a group activity. If you want to see the actual movie, it doesn't matter who the fuck is sitting next to you. If you want to chat/make out, you can do that without paying to see a movie.

On my recent travels, dining alone in Europe felt perfectly normal. I'd sit down with a book and spend a couple of hours eating and downing a few pints and there'd be other people doing the same. But in the US, when I ate alone I'd often get treated as "just you? Are you sure? Wow, you're really by yourself?" Of course I still sat there reading and drinking to my heart's content.

In other words, don't let perceived societal/peer pressure stop you from doing what you want to do.

I've never got movies as a group activity. If you want to see the actual movie, it doesn't matter who the fuck is sitting next to you. If you want to chat/make out, you can do that without paying to see a movie.

On my recent travels, dining alone in Europe felt perfectly normal. I'd sit down with a book and spend a couple of hours eating and downing a few pints and there'd be other people doing the same. But in the US, when I ate alone I'd often get treated as "just you? Are you sure? Wow, you're really by yourself?" Of course I still sat there reading and drinking to my heart's content.

Movies as a date....."Yeah I'd like to get to know you. Want to sit in silence for ages?"

So with the announcement of these new dates, I pretty much HAVE to go to Indianapolis, it's an easy 2 hour drive from my house. But I don't have anyone to go with. I'm actually already going to the Cleveland show, as part of a group of 6. We're doing GA, and it's gonna be awesome. Those are my "U2 friends", but none of them are as "enthusiastic" about their fandom as I am, and wouldn't consider going to a 2nd show on the same tour.

I already drug my wife with me to a 360 show. She had a good enough time, she likes U2. But I think her opinion on U2 (or any artist) is that once she sees them live ONCE, there's no reason to go again. She probably WOULD go with me again if I forced her to.. the prospect of Beck opening might convince her to go. But she's also a bit of a tight ass money wise (in addition to having a TIGHT ASS... :D ), even though we make decent money, and I'm not sure she'd want to go. She understands U2 is my one indulgence in life.

Part of me thinks it would be nice to just go to the show by myself. But that would involve driving 2 hours alone, being at a concert alone, and driving back 2 hours alone. I feel like I might get bored and feel like a loser. Then again, maybe it would be a rare chance to just soak in the U2 concert and enjoy it without any distractions. I'm not an introvert, I don't really value alone time for deep personal moments... I'm actually kind of the opposite. I'm a severe extrovert. I think I'm terrified of spending that much time alone. I just now am starting to get comfortable with the idea of grabbing lunch in a restaurant by myself.

Absolutely go alone and don't give it a second thought! I live in Boston and have gone to U2 concerts (and other acts) with family and friends since Vertigo. In fact, for the Boston show in 2 weeks, I'm going to have my mom, my aunt and at least 3 friends with me. I know many more people going to the show and used to work for a security company contracted by Live Nation New England for years. So I'll know many different "industry" faces on site.

That being said, I'm 30 and single and don't have too many people I hang out with regularly. I'm plenty good at talking to people and almost everyone I know likes me. Just don't have a lot of people I make plans with outside of my daily routine.

I've done I&E at Madison Square Garden alone. Just a few weeks ago, May 21 Rose Bowl show by myself after a 4 day California vacation alone. Stayed in Burbank near the airport, drove out to Joshua Tree National Park and the 29 Palms Harmony Motel. Saw the sunset in Santa Monica. Drove down to San Diego and did the show before flying back. Had a great time.

I have nothing to add to what others have said about U2 shows alone. People are friendly, much more so than your average crowd, it's plenty safe as there's always people going the same direction as you afterwards and if you're on this board, you're not going to have a bad time at a U2 concert.

As you can tell, I do better alone than most people, but I do understand your apprehension. I have gone on a couple other vacations by myself in the last few years. By the end, no matter what, I always am at minimum sick of being alone and at worst, very sad and having a range of negative emotions that come with loneliness. I do a lot better meeting people and making connections with them when I can see them repeatedly than I do in random places away from home. I always go into it thinking I'll meet people and have these great experiences away but never really do.

However, one U2 show alone? I'd highly recommend it.

Also movies and dining alone? Act like you don't care and you get the boss treatment.

This is 100% true! I go to restaurants alone all the time- not just pizza/sub shop/lunch type places either. I go to some of the nicest restaurants in Boston alone all the time. I've been single for over 2 years now and I've gone solo since. I sit at the bar and eat- that way being alone doesn't draw the kind of stares and questions from the staff that Ax mentions.

As someone who does much better talking and building rapport with people I can see multiple times, I have befriended many, many bartenders and restaurant staff in the city. I probably have 12 or more of them in my phone/on various social media. I've become far more than a "customer" to all of them and a handful of them, I consider actual friends and have hung with them outside of work.

I treat them well, and in turn, they treat me MUCH better. I am rarely charged more than half price for things- I make it up in the tip and they know that- but when I want to spring for a real nice meal/drinks, I am still paying much less than the average person. People working in restaurants are, in my experience, much nicer than your average person and will give even more than they receive if they are treated right and you actually show in interest in them as people.

I can go into many restaurants- even corporate type places with policies- on any given night and eat even if I forget my wallet. I'd get them the next visit- and that would be because I know it's the right thing to do, not because they'd keep track. I could get it free if I wanted to.

It's a lot easier for them to build a trusting relationship and help out (in terms of seating priority/money they charge) one person who comes in all the time than it is to do it with a group of people that they know equally as well.

You absolutely have an advantage alone versus with others at restaurants.

Plus - if you time it right, you can chat to bored staff members and suddenly your bill no longer makes any sense. In the good way.

Case in point: I know I paid far too little for dinner and drinks the other night. I got a high five greeting from the host when I arrived. Had my girlfriend been there, I'd have worried she'd have been embarrassed. By myself? Who cares?

I travel alone quite a bit and I'm very happily married 28 years. I love having my own schedule and doing however much or however little I like. However, I also love traveling wIth my husband. It's different experience each way, and I like them both.

Traveling alone to go see a concert all on my own is great, but being introverted does help with that. ??

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

If I was uncomfortable traveling/dining out/going to concerts/going to movies alone, I'd never go anywhere.

I get that not everyone is comfortable being alone, but I thank Jebus on a regular basis that I am not wired that way.

The greatest concert I ever saw in my entire life was by myself. It was U2 in Columbus Ohio in May 2001 on the Elevation tour. I just seen them the night before in Pittsburgh PA with a large group of friends, but was determined to go to Columbus even if it was by myself since when I purchased tickets 4 months earlier I had initially thought those shows would be the only two I would see on the tour. But as I said before, it was more than worth it since to this day it is still the greatest concert I ever saw.

I've discovered as I get older I often go to concerts by myself and I still have a great time. If you have an interesting in doing something, going to a movie, a tour of a city, even a vacation somewhere you have never been before, don't pass it up just because you don't have someone to go with. Its what you love and enjoy, don't let the lack of other people around you prevent you from enjoying things you love in life.

U2 is the outlier for me now, where experience has shown me that I VASTLY prefer seeing U2 with others. I went to a bunch of shows solo on Vertigo and had hit-or-miss experiences. (Although it was the first time I'd seen them since 1997 and was new to Interference, and was kind of shy about trying to find people I had interacted with online yet.)

Now, going to U2 shows is almost as much about getting together with the friends I've made from all over as it is about seeing U2. The shows I have the most fun at now are the shows where I'm with friends and we're all jumping around like a bunch of loons, singing and yelling like our lives depended on it.

Or being next to someone you have a history of in-jokes with, so you can laugh/roll your eyes at the same Bono things, be over-the-moon about hearing ASOH. That sort of thing.

Back
Top Bottom