GA "Line" Shenanigans Part 2: You Just Made The List!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pitch2 numbers up to 241 at 11am this morning. And no, I did not partake in the nonsense. I was just there to relieve someone of an extra ticket.

Amsterdam GA line started on Thursday, while the gig is today (saturday). And of course the line runners mysteriously appeared at the secret videoshoot last night. They made an exception for people invited to the event so they didn't have to stay in line. :rolleyes: So yeah, we got the same system the US has now. Dickwads only caring for their own position, making it oh so convenient for them to stay up front.

I'm definitely not lining. Can't be arsed with this fuckery.

I've turned up at 5.30-6 for both shows and have got directly in line with Bonos microphone, bang center of the tree b stage about 6 people from the front barrier. Great spot. Great for the main stage show and even better for the b stage

I turned up at 6pm the first night, had some health issues so ended up watching all the way in the back. Was surprised how many people there stil danced and knew all the lyrics!

2nd night I was there at 2pm ish, ended up few rows deep of the Bstage, Edge's side. Brilliant spot. So getting there 2 days in advance is really, really not necessary. The first 500 were already taken by 11am or so.

But major kudos for the ArenA staff. Security was brilliant this time. THe first 500 were wristbanded and separated from the rest, had to be back in line at 3pm. They were let in about 100 people at once, bags checked, security checked, WALKED in by security and warned if they tried to run they'd be kicked out.
I was in the 2nd 500 set, and we were penned as usual. Before being let in, same thing. Calmly people were let through ticket scans, to the bag check. Waiting until people were searched and everything before scanning new people in. Also warned DO NOT RUN OR YOU GET KICKED OUT. And.. I can't say I've ever had this happen at a U2 show... but nobody ran. Nobody. It was the most relaxed walking in experience I've ever had. Major kudos to the security staff. :up:

This makes me glad that I'm not doing the line next week in my hometown area. Bringing someone along too this time, which contributed to that decision.

24dc9ee.jpg

Showed up at 4:45 after enjoying a few beers and wound up 2nd row main stage, maybe 20-30 feet from Bono's mic. One of the listkeepers(wasn't running the list in Detroit) was a few feet to my left in the 2nd row. They participated in the nonsense and their spot was no better than mine. :lol:

Also, spoiler alert: six inches of space between myself and the rail made zero difference in my enjoyment of the show. I even wound up in the *gasp* 3rd row in the natural shift that happens.

So I read months ago that with this tour, it's not necessary to camp out all day to get a good spot because of the way the Tree stage is shaped. Is that still the case, or are people misbehaving more and making it difficult? I'm planning to get there around 4:00; will I still be able to get fairly close? I hardly ever get to do this, so I want to be as close as possible.

Depending on which show, you will be within 5 rows of the tree stage if you get there at that time, probably closer. I think San Diego is going to be the most crowded show on this leg but that's just speculation on my part.

But the vast majority of GA won't show up until doors open or later. The stage is huge and there is a lot of rail. You could potentially look for a rail spot behind the Red Zone or if you're okay being on the far side of the stage by Adam.

The tree stage is usually the most popular area, so it usually fills up first but I still maintain that you'll be within 5 rows. I have a buddy that showed up to one of the NY shows and got 2nd row in front of Bono at the main stage at 5pm.

If you have to have rail on the tree stage, 4pm won't cut it, but if you're okay being a few feet, maybe even just a few inches from that, I think you'll be perfectly happy.

So I read months ago that with this tour, it's not necessary to camp out all day to get a good spot because of the way the Tree stage is shaped. Is that still the case, or are people misbehaving more and making it difficult? I'm planning to get there around 4:00; will I still be able to get fairly close? I hardly ever get to do this, so I want to be as close as possible.

I showed up at 4:45 on Sunday and this was my view.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1504742268024.jpg
    FB_IMG_1504742268024.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 20170903_230339.jpg
    20170903_230339.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 20170903_214724.jpg
    20170903_214724.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 57
I got in line 10 minutes before doors opened for Chicago 2, had a decent spot a few rows back from the tree stage (right to the back of Larry's kit) to the right, then with the shifts ended up second row to the right of Larry's kit. With a great view of the main stage to boot during TJT set.

So yeah... not lining up for Minneapolis this time around. :D Worth it for the tree stage rail view at Chicago 1, but I don't need to do it again for this tour.

Depending on which show, you will be within 5 rows of the tree stage if you get there at that time, probably closer. I think San Diego is going to be the most crowded show on this leg but that's just speculation on my part.

But the vast majority of GA won't show up until doors open or later. The stage is huge and there is a lot of rail. You could potentially look for a rail spot behind the Red Zone or if you're okay being on the far side of the stage by Adam.

The tree stage is usually the most popular area, so it usually fills up first but I still maintain that you'll be within 5 rows. I have a buddy that showed up to one of the NY shows and got 2nd row in front of Bono at the main stage at 5pm.

If you have to have rail on the tree stage, 4pm won't cut it, but if you're okay being a few feet, maybe even just a few inches from that, I think you'll be perfectly happy.

I'm just going to get a rail wherever I can when I get in there. Barring that, I'll go for whatever looks closest. I'm guessing Kansas City probably won't be one of those shows with lots of diehards getting there early like they do in larger cities with more U2 fans per capita.

So, after last night, I learned the hard way that certain rail spots really aren't very good for seeing the B stage. I headed for Adam's side and was about four deep from the rail by the side of the tree. Unfortunately, that's where Larry's drum pit is, so I couldn't see the rest of the band during the first songs, just Larry's back. Later, when Bono was out there by himself, he didn't come to that side because Larry's drums were retracted into an open pit, which he probably would have fallen into, being Bono and all. So it's better to be by the tree trunk or the very top of the tree, not by the drum hole. It was a great spot for seeing the main stage and the screen, though.

So, after last night, I learned the hard way that certain rail spots really aren't very good for seeing the B stage. I headed for Adam's side and was about four deep from the rail by the side of the tree. Unfortunately, that's where Larry's drum pit is, so I couldn't see the rest of the band during the first songs, just Larry's back. Later, when Bono was out there by himself, he didn't come to that side because Larry's drums were retracted into an open pit, which he probably would have fallen into, being Bono and all. So it's better to be by the tree trunk or the very top of the tree, not by the drum hole. It was a great spot for seeing the main stage and the screen, though.

I had a similar spot for two nights and even though I was further to the right on one of them, I was able to see most of them okay. Not great, but I didn't expect that considering the place. Might've helped that I'm slightly on the tall side height-wise myself.

That being said, it was a fantastic place to see the main Joshua Tree set. Then the encore turned out okay since there was no drums out there.

Back
Top Bottom