GA Advice after Night 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sfu2doc

The Fly
So for those who went, what's your advice on the GA for this tour.

If I saw correctly, Vancouver had 11,000 in GA - and all of JT songs from main stage while rest of show largely from B-stage.

Given main stage is so high, is best bet to hang near rail behind redzone for best overall sightline presuming one isnt camping out at 1pm for b-stage rail?

Any other advice appreciated from those were on the floor in Vancouver.

So for those who went, what's your advice on the GA for this tour.

If I saw correctly, Vancouver had 11,000 in GA - and all of JT songs from main stage while rest of show largely from B-stage.

Given main stage is so high, is best bet to hang near rail behind redzone for best overall sightline presuming one isnt camping out at 1pm for b-stage rail?

Any other advice appreciated from those were on the floor in Vancouver.

I ended up on the rail of the Red Zone and I didn't get in until after 8:00. I would do it there again. Enjoyed that location. The camera boom was the weirdest thing because it was in use for the first 5 songs even though there is no video being displayed. Why? It wasn't all that bad but it was distracting at times. You get the full video effect from there once they move back to the main stage.

Doing red zone for the first time. Usually ga. What do you think would be the best spot in the red zone. And stupid question.... Would I have to line up to get that spot. The camera crane concerns me.

Honestly being near the front of the main stage wasn't that bad. The barrier is set a bit farther back so you don't have to crane your neck that much. I was second row by the main stage and it was a great view IMG_6765.JPG

I ended up on the rail of the Red Zone and I didn't get in until after 8:00. I would do it there again. Enjoyed that location. The camera boom was the weirdest thing because it was in use for the first 5 songs even though there is no video being displayed. Why? It wasn't all that bad but it was distracting at times. You get the full video effect from there once they move back to the main stage.

Would love to see a pic from your spot.
Thanks!

Honestly being near the front of the main stage wasn't that bad. The barrier is set a bit farther back so you don't have to crane your neck that much. I was second row by the main stage and it was a great view View attachment 11204

This is a great thread, really appreciate all the spoiler-free tips coming in. WOW You got a great spot. I can't believe that's second row (only 1 person from front rail). In an arena, that distance from Bono would be ~10 people deep. But WOW that's a great view.

So it is true that the 11 JT songs were played from the main stage (where you were standing), but the other ~10 non-JT songs were all on the tree-shaped B-stage?

Would love to see a pic from your spot.
Thanks!

This one shows the boom

IMG_2644.jpg

Two questions: did you get crushed or crammed from this spot? And, were you able to ever go use the bathroom and get your spot back? I'm trying to find the best GA spot for my two shows and any help is appreciated.

What do you think the best bet with GA would be for the London shows?

If I was to arrive at Twickenham 3 hours before the doors open and join the queue at the selected gate, what are my chances for getting a good spot around the B stage area, but close enough to the front rails?

I lined up at 1pm, and got a perfect spot, imho. I was in front of Bono on the main stage, about 7 people back. I got a perfect view of the full band, and the screen. It felt like I was at an IMAX film with U2 as the live soundtrack. AMAZING!

The stage is quite high, so I don't think I would have enjoyed being on the railing as I would have been craning my neck a lot, and I'm fairly tall (6'1). While they were on the b-stage, I was looking at their backs, and a bit further away, which wasn't ideal, but not terrible either. And they spent the vast majority of the time on the main stage, so it didn't really matter to me. Here's a pic of my position relative to the main stage:
20170512_215007_HDR_zpsaxnel8qc.jpg

And a shot of the b-stage:
20170512_212258_zpsjagb0wfj.jpg

Two questions: did you get crushed or crammed from this spot? And, were you able to ever go use the bathroom and get your spot back? I'm trying to find the best GA spot for my two shows and any help is appreciated.

BC Place was probably unique. All the GA was entering from the side furthest from the red zone. It was an unpleasant entrance for most and there was little time to "scope things out"I knew exactly where I wanted to go but if the people entered from the red zone side things probably would have been very different.

I was able to leave and get beer (they conveniently had concessions very close to the red zone under the stands) it won't be the same everywhere.

I lined up at 1pm, and got a perfect spot, imho. I was in front of Bono on the main stage, about 7 people back. I got a perfect view of the full band, and the screen. It felt like I was at an IMAX film with U2 as the live soundtrack. AMAZING!

The stage is quite high, so I don't think I would have enjoyed being on the railing as I would have been craning my neck a lot, and I'm fairly tall (6'1). While they were on the b-stage, I was looking at their backs, and a bit further away, which wasn't ideal, but not terrible either. And they spent the vast majority of the time on the main stage, so it didn't really matter to me. Here's a pic of my position relative to the main stage:
20170512_215007_HDR_zpsaxnel8qc.jpg

And a shot of the b-stage:
20170512_212258_zpsjagb0wfj.jpg
Thanks for sharing. Great spot! You must have zoomed in a lot for that shot of Bono? Also, I didn't know they closed the dome in Vancouver! I thought all stadium shows were open air (ie: if it rains, everyone gets wet)

I don't get why they don't use the screen the entire show, if only for straight video. That would annoy the crap out of me if I was sitting in the nosebleeds

Indeed. At least utilize a portion of the screen real estate for band close-ups. Even some of the uppers were pricey.

So let's fix the tour...

1) have at least a dozen credit card scanners
2) flip the early hit parade with the encore to end on a high. Add Bad for more flavor
3) use portion of screen for straight video on every song
4) ditch Elton John glasses
5) lighten up a little

I'm with you on all but #2 (ahem). They need to replace half the encore songs. I haven't thought about which ones, or the replacements, but it reads like a hodge podge right now. Also, The Refugee should be played in the opening set.

Agreed about using the screen in the beginning. Unless they're calling back to those early tours where they weren't in stadiums and screens weren't used?

Agreed the encore has to be fixed. There are songs a lot of us would rather here but don't think that is going to happen. If they do keep the same songs how about starting with MS then the same order for the rest? Also if they are keeping the same songs in the opening section ( which I am ok with), just add bad before streets.

All because of you would be an amazing transistion as well. But maybe they wanna do that intro with the pose at the screen and then it doesnt work.

Could we keep this thread spoiler-free of the set list? So... I've heard conflicting info (in this very thread) on how many songs are played on main stage vs. b-stage. Knowing U2, I'd guess 90% of songs are still on the main stage. Anyone who's seen show(s) so far can confirm?

This is a great thread, really appreciate all the spoiler-free tips coming in. WOW You got a great spot. I can't believe that's second row (only 1 person from front rail). In an arena, that distance from Bono would be ~10 people deep. But WOW that's a great view.

So it is true that the 11 JT songs were played from the main stage (where you were standing), but the other ~10 non-JT songs were all on the tree-shaped B-stage?
The first non-jt part is on b-stage, but no, the first song of encore is on main stage then Bono goes to b-stage but band stays on main stage. Then the band comes down to the b-stage for the final three songs.

In my opinion, the best place to park yourself on the floor is at the b stage close to Larry's drum kit. Very good view of the band and with no visuals of them on the screen for the opening songs this is your best bet to see them up close. Also affords a relatively unblocked view of them on the main stage. It was somewhat claustrophobic though. We showed up around 10:30 or so at ga line and were 4 deep of the rail.IMG_3282.JPG

In my opinion, the best place to park yourself on the floor is at the b stage close to Larry's drum kit. Very good view of the band and with no visuals of them on the screen for the opening songs this is your best bet to see them up close. Also affords a relatively unblocked view of them on the main stage. It was somewhat claustrophobic though. We showed up around 10:30 or so at ga line and were 4 deep of the rail.View attachment 11207

Got any shots of main stage from your vantage point?

I'm with you on all but #2 (ahem). They need to replace half the encore songs. I haven't thought about which ones, or the replacements, but it reads like a hodge podge right now. Also, The Refugee should be played in the opening set.

nah, we're in agreement - but if they're intent on playing THESE songs, then at least flip the encore with the opening so that the air isn't sucked out of the place at the end.

You can get away with some more obscure shit early on as everyone's still pumped for the show. closing with obscure shit is asking for people to flood to the gates early.

Back
Top Bottom