GA Advice after Night 1 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > The Joshua Tree 2017 - Tour Central > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2017, 10:58 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 09:47 AM
GA Advice after Night 1

So for those who went, what's your advice on the GA for this tour.

If I saw correctly, Vancouver had 11,000 in GA - and all of JT songs from main stage while rest of show largely from B-stage.

Given main stage is so high, is best bet to hang near rail behind redzone for best overall sightline presuming one isnt camping out at 1pm for b-stage rail?

Any other advice appreciated from those were on the floor in Vancouver.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:47 PM
I hear that the camera crane gets in the way of those on the b stage rail nearest the Red Zone

Old 05-13-2017, 03:28 PM   #3
The Fly

Local Time: 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfu2doc View Post
So for those who went, what's your advice on the GA for this tour.

If I saw correctly, Vancouver had 11,000 in GA - and all of JT songs from main stage while rest of show largely from B-stage.

Given main stage is so high, is best bet to hang near rail behind redzone for best overall sightline presuming one isnt camping out at 1pm for b-stage rail?

Any other advice appreciated from those were on the floor in Vancouver.
I ended up on the rail of the Red Zone and I didn't get in until after 8:00. I would do it there again. Enjoyed that location. The camera boom was the weirdest thing because it was in use for the first 5 songs even though there is no video being displayed. Why? It wasn't all that bad but it was distracting at times. You get the full video effect from there once they move back to the main stage.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:28 PM   #4
The Fly

Doing red zone for the first time. Usually ga. What do you think would be the best spot in the red zone. And stupid question.... Would I have to line up to get that spot. The camera crane concerns me.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:41 PM   #5
Refugee

Honestly being near the front of the main stage wasn't that bad. The barrier is set a bit farther back so you don't have to crane your neck that much. I was second row by the main stage and it was a great view Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6765.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	11204
Old 05-13-2017, 05:44 PM   #6
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimyc View Post
I ended up on the rail of the Red Zone and I didn't get in until after 8:00. I would do it there again. Enjoyed that location. The camera boom was the weirdest thing because it was in use for the first 5 songs even though there is no video being displayed. Why? It wasn't all that bad but it was distracting at times. You get the full video effect from there once they move back to the main stage.

Would love to see a pic from your spot.
Thanks!
Old 05-13-2017, 05:46 PM   #7
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbelcik View Post
Honestly being near the front of the main stage wasn't that bad. The barrier is set a bit farther back so you don't have to crane your neck that much. I was second row by the main stage and it was a great view Attachment 11204
This is a great thread, really appreciate all the spoiler-free tips coming in. WOW You got a great spot. I can't believe that's second row (only 1 person from front rail). In an arena, that distance from Bono would be ~10 people deep. But WOW that's a great view.

So it is true that the 11 JT songs were played from the main stage (where you were standing), but the other ~10 non-JT songs were all on the tree-shaped B-stage?
Old 05-13-2017, 07:11 PM   #8
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVaul View Post
Would love to see a pic from your spot.
Thanks!
This one shows the boom

Old 05-13-2017, 07:18 PM   #9
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimyc View Post
Two questions: did you get crushed or crammed from this spot? And, were you able to ever go use the bathroom and get your spot back? I'm trying to find the best GA spot for my two shows and any help is appreciated.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:20 PM   #10
The Fly

What time did you arrive to get that spot? Did you have to get in line early?
Old 05-13-2017, 07:59 PM   #11
The Fly

What do you think the best bet with GA would be for the London shows?

If I was to arrive at Twickenham 3 hours before the doors open and join the queue at the selected gate, what are my chances for getting a good spot around the B stage area, but close enough to the front rails?
Old 05-13-2017, 10:12 PM   #12
Babyface

I lined up at 1pm, and got a perfect spot, imho. I was in front of Bono on the main stage, about 7 people back. I got a perfect view of the full band, and the screen. It felt like I was at an IMAX film with U2 as the live soundtrack. AMAZING!

The stage is quite high, so I don't think I would have enjoyed being on the railing as I would have been craning my neck a lot, and I'm fairly tall (6'1). While they were on the b-stage, I was looking at their backs, and a bit further away, which wasn't ideal, but not terrible either. And they spent the vast majority of the time on the main stage, so it didn't really matter to me. Here's a pic of my position relative to the main stage:

And a shot of the b-stage:
Old 05-13-2017, 11:13 PM   #13
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
Two questions: did you get crushed or crammed from this spot? And, were you able to ever go use the bathroom and get your spot back? I'm trying to find the best GA spot for my two shows and any help is appreciated.
BC Place was probably unique. All the GA was entering from the side furthest from the red zone. It was an unpleasant entrance for most and there was little time to "scope things out"I knew exactly where I wanted to go but if the people entered from the red zone side things probably would have been very different.

I was able to leave and get beer (they conveniently had concessions very close to the red zone under the stands) it won't be the same everywhere.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:28 AM   #14
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipfan View Post
I lined up at 1pm, and got a perfect spot, imho. I was in front of Bono on the main stage, about 7 people back. I got a perfect view of the full band, and the screen. It felt like I was at an IMAX film with U2 as the live soundtrack. AMAZING!

The stage is quite high, so I don't think I would have enjoyed being on the railing as I would have been craning my neck a lot, and I'm fairly tall (6'1). While they were on the b-stage, I was looking at their backs, and a bit further away, which wasn't ideal, but not terrible either. And they spent the vast majority of the time on the main stage, so it didn't really matter to me. Here's a pic of my position relative to the main stage:

And a shot of the b-stage:
Thanks for sharing. Great spot! You must have zoomed in a lot for that shot of Bono? Also, I didn't know they closed the dome in Vancouver! I thought all stadium shows were open air (ie: if it rains, everyone gets wet)
Old 05-14-2017, 07:29 AM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

I don't get why they don't use the screen the entire show, if only for straight video. That would annoy the crap out of me if I was sitting in the nosebleeds