GA Advice after Night 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my opinion, the best place to park yourself on the floor is at the b stage close to Larry's drum kit. Very good view of the band and with no visuals of them on the screen for the opening songs this is your best bet to see them up close. Also affords a relatively unblocked view of them on the main stage. It was somewhat claustrophobic though. We showed up around 10:30 or so at ga line and were 4 deep of the rail.View attachment 11207
That's where I was! Here is a shot from the rail at that stage and of the main stage.
IMG_20170513_005139_201.jpgIMAG2264.jpg

Red Zone

walked into the red zone at 8:55pm Friday night and ended up 3rd from rail next to the b stage. plenty of room to move around, and also gave a good view of the main stage. the crane is definitely awkward at times, blocking the view mostly of bono occasionally.

Attachments

• DSC08375.jpg
    DSC08375.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC08193.jpg
    DSC08193.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC08111.jpg
    DSC08111.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC08339.jpg
    DSC08339.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 56
heres a view of the main stage and crane

Attachments

• DSC08180.jpg
    DSC08180.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC08234.jpg
    DSC08234.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC08217.jpg
    DSC08217.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC08247.jpg
    DSC08247.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 59
I didn't line up. I stayed at my hotel to watch the wizards game till about 8pm. Walked down to bc place and got in around 8:30pm. Looked at merch, got a drink and finally walked into the red zone around 8:55.

Agreed about using the screen in the beginning. Unless they're calling back to those early tours where they weren't in stadiums and screens weren't used?

I think they don't use the screen at the beginning because keeping it dark leads to be a more dramatic "scene change" at the start of the Joshua Tree.

I think they don't use the screen at the beginning because keeping it dark leads to be a more dramatic "scene change" at the start of the Joshua Tree.
I get why... I'd still be pissed if I were in the cheap seats.

You could play it out where people only think the screen is over on Adam's side of the main stage the entire night up until the entire backdrop turns Red for Streets. Would probably get a bigger wow moment than just keeping it off...

What do you think the best bet with GA would be for the London shows?

If I was to arrive at Twickenham 3 hours before the doors open and join the queue at the selected gate, what are my chances for getting a good spot around the B stage area, but close enough to the front rails?

Mate I'd say it's impossible to tell... after years of experience it can depend on country, tour, whether it's a weekend gig, but I bet London is going to be wild given how quickly it sold out (straight away) and how much anticipation there is for this tour.

I'm going with 12 friends to Saturday in Twickenham and can't wait, 4 of us in GA. Despite being a more calm and balanced man that I was in 1993, I still do get quite anxious about getting in line too late and ending up at the back end of the pitch, so will probably see how it looks late morning lunchtime and have a few beers in the sun and soak up the atmosphere with other fans in the pubs near the station. But enjoying the day is the most important thing eh.

I will try to hold back my excited and paranoid anxiety, it usually invites ridicule.. "Shall we start heading over now?" I will suggest as a flippant comment. In all truth I want everybody to have the best experience possible but can end up getting overly wound up and irritating myself as much as everybody else. The last time I really lost it with everybody was Popmart Leeds when I was waiting outside the venue to give late arrivals from London their tickets.

I'm OK now, but like any addiction, behaviours can recur at any time.

My name is Jim and I'm a U2 addict.

Last edited:
We were 50 feet in n front of the sound board (small country). The visuals were epic. No real bad spot on the floor. It was roomy. I'm not tall (5'10) and could see all action on the b stage, but the ladies couldn't.

The joys of being a 6'0" women in bare feet, I usually get a good unobstructed view.

In my opinion, the best place to park yourself on the floor is at the b stage close to Larry's drum kit. Very good view of the band and with no visuals of them on the screen for the opening songs this is your best bet to see them up close. Also affords a relatively unblocked view of them on the main stage. It was somewhat claustrophobic though. We showed up around 10:30 or so at ga line and were 4 deep of the rail.View attachment 11207

This is what I have been thinking after seeing photos of the setup and how "wide angle" the video aspects seem to be. Will probably end up doing this for LA.

I have 4 GA tickets for Boston. Does anyone know if Boston requires CC of purchase to get in or was that just a night 1 Vancouver thing? I don't recall Boston saying that -- I think NYC said that. But maybe I just missed it.

Be bad if I sold my tickets to friends and then found out they couldn't get in w/o me.

I wouldn't care too much as I'd get inside.... but I'd feel a little BAD.

Yeah, it's kind of absurd that they have the camera crane running during the opening B-stage portion and nothing on the screen....it would be helpful for a lot of people to see them on the screen including the many on the floor that don't have a good view of the B-stage, especially if you're near the front.

Just like the last tour, there's definitely a trade-off depending on where you want to be. Personally, I liked being up near the front of the stage because I got to see JT in full with the band right in front of me. Of course, it's also not ideal to basically see none of the B-stage stuff. I could actually see them on my tiptoes pretty well from where I was (kind of center stage front between Bono and Adam) during the opening, but nothing after that really other than some glimpses during the encore when I turned my head back...but it's really not a big deal since you get closeups on the video screen, anyway, for the later part of the show including the new song.

Girlfriend and I both agreed that we won't be doing the madness of GA the next time we see them. If it's more I&E Tour, we're down for floor tickets, but we'll just show up right before showtime and hang out closer to the seats, thus avoiding the crowding entirely and allowing us to move around where we want.

I'd also point out that the crowding was really getting on people's nerves including some long time fans. Other U2 shows, whether at an arena or stadium have effectively had a partition between two halves of the crowd, such as the Vertigo inner circle or the 360 circle, etc. This arrangement just allows 5,000 people on each side to effectively push themselves forward and what was usually a comfortable experience inside the circle just becomes a rather limiting one in terms of room....still I've had worse at one show in my life...a U2 San Jose gig on Vertigo that had so much of a crush at the outer rail that about a half dozen people had to be lifted over as the show began. This was nothing on that level.

Also, I should warn people that certain venues are probably going to be insane in terms of lineup time. This Santa Clara gig was crazy crowded for GA line just in the early afternoon alone, so if you think you can just stroll up at 5 PM and get a good spot, well, good luck with that. We showed up about 3:20 and there were already 1,000 (yes, 1,000) GA ticket holders in front of us, roughly. I showed up at about the same time for the 360 gig in Oakland years back and we were about fortieth, yes, fortieth in line on our side of the stadium. I can admit that particular gig was way unlike most shows in terms of lining up and such, but still, this was unlike anything I'd ever seen before.

Now, you can definitely show up after a bunch of people and get a pretty good spot near the main stage if you want (although I do recommend not being a short person. I was fine, but my girlfriend occasionally had blocked views). The bulk of the crowd wants to hover around the B-stage and its rail so there's a lot of room to get up near the front when the floor is starting to fill up.

Seriously, the demand for this is very all intense and the guy at the front of the GA line (since we regrouped for yet another line inside the stadium gates) said he had got there at 4AM the previous day. It just goes to show that the Joshua Tree definitely holds a special place in people's hearts more than a regular U2 show really ever could.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Great spot! You must have zoomed in a lot for that shot of Bono? Also, I didn't know they closed the dome in Vancouver! I thought all stadium shows were open air (ie: if it rains, everyone gets wet)

The shot of Bono is zoomed in a bit, but that's pretty much what I was looking at (the camera on my phone always makes things look smaller/further away than they actually are).

The roof in BC Place is retractable, and yes, it was closed.

My plan...
Show 1: waltzing in, hanging back.
Show 2: aiming for a spot near b stage
Show 3: aiming closer to main stage

Show 2 & 3 approach will be interchangeable based on crowd. I'm ok lining up early those days.

Anyone simply hang by the sound board? Trying to get an idea of what it's like back there, cause there ain't a chance in hell I'm waiting in line all day

Sort of. Went to the first two shows and had no interest in lining up. The first night we were more to the right as you look at the stage, but discovered how far left the b-stage is. Second night we stood against the front rail of the left side light tower. Sound was very good both nights imo, and if you don't mind a bit of obstruction with the b-stage(depending on your height) it's a great place to take in the screen. For the first b-stage set, you could probably go along the left side rail directly in front of the seats and still have a decent view no matter your height.

I have 4 GA tickets for Boston. Does anyone know if Boston requires CC of purchase to get in or was that just a night 1 Vancouver thing? I don't recall Boston saying that -- I think NYC said that. But maybe I just missed it.

Be bad if I sold my tickets to friends and then found out they couldn't get in w/o me.

I wouldn't care too much as I'd get inside.... but I'd feel a little BAD.

Gillette not using CC entry (I believe the only venue this leg not using it for at least GA), you can sell tix to friends with no problem.

Sort of. Went to the first two shows and had no interest in lining up. The first night we were more to the right as you look at the stage, but discovered how far left the b-stage is. Second night we stood against the front rail of the left side light tower. Sound was very good both nights imo, and if you don't mind a bit of obstruction with the b-stage(depending on your height) it's a great place to take in the screen. For the first b-stage set, you could probably go along the left side rail directly in front of the seats and still have a decent view no matter your height.
Excellent, thanks. I'm 6'3" so unless Shaq stands in front of me I should b good

My plan...
Show 1: waltzing in, hanging back.
Show 2: aiming for a spot near b stage
Show 3: aiming closer to main stage

Show 2 & 3 approach will be interchangeable based on crowd. I'm ok lining up early those days.

My game plan was/is:

Show 1 (Vancouver): aimed for the best rail spot possible by the b-stage, and I got one right in front of Larry.

Show 2 (Philadelphia): Think I will try the same except I am pulling into town a half day later than I did Vancouver but still early enough where that is possible, although more people are hip to the good spots now.

Show 3 (NJ): Earliest I could get there is morning of, around 8-9am, so not sure the plan yet, may hang back for this one - will decide when I see how Philly goes.

Show 4 (NJ): Strolling in whenever, I have a seat. :wink:

I like to aim for soundboard, but that area and middle GA in general fills up fast. depending on what side the main GA entrance is on, that side and the middle typically fill up, while the opposite side of the field/stage stay pretty open. That's how it was in Seattle, and it was pretty great. Loads of room, only had to shift a few yards to Adam's side.

What time do the gates open for GA, in particular for Dallas? Can't find the info anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom