Bono's Voice for 2017 (Official Thread) - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > The Joshua Tree 2017 - Tour Central > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2017, 08:08 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 04:18 PM
Bono's Voice for 2017 (Official Thread)

I posted this reply elsewhere but I wanted to create a thread to gather thoughts from others on here.

I am making a reference from 360 tour in this post as 360 was a big favorite of mine in terms of Bono's voice. And the the changes in his voice from 2009 - 2015 were huge and not for the best!!

This is the one thing that bugs me with his voice these days, if you listen to performances from 360 you can hear there's always a deep layer in everything he is singing. His voice even talking just sounds deeper with more feeling. Bono's voice also hardly ever broke all all during 360 it really was impressive.

Fast forward to SOI and 2015. An huge change for the worse and now we are hearing an incredibly thin and almost nasally sounding voice from bono. As if he has lost all of his lower range and now has to rely on one particular range to sing every song in.

These days he is sounding very thin and almost shouting these songs at us, it might sound harsh but I don't understand why he can't sing like he did in 360 anymore? Is this intentional, is he having vocal lessons?

His voice is incredible still but one thing that bugs me so much is how nasally his voice is. If only he could just relax a bit more and bring out some more lower range, similar that to the 360 tour, please don't tell me there's no difference because imo there's a huge difference

Old 08-04-2017, 06:48 AM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:18 PM
A) I don't think they adequately planned for the tour, so Bono isn't in the physical shape he would normally be in for a tour

And, more importantly 2) he's getting fucking old. Shit happens when you get old, and unless you're Leonard Cohen, it's usually not for the better.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:42 AM   #4
45:33

Local Time: 03:18 AM
fuck you people need to get a life. he sounds fine.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:52 AM   #5
Refugee

Old 08-04-2017, 08:19 AM   #6
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhill View Post
Almost nasally sounding?

He's always had a nasally sound to his voice which is one of his strengths! So I never understood this complaint. It's on full display and put to perfect use here:

I was looking for a more recent performance and was surprised by the difference. Now with that said, this is one area where I definitely look on the bright side. I remember hearing / watching One from Popmart Mexico and thinking that it was almost over for him. Never one to be counted out, that crazy elf found a way to sound drastically better in 01. Let's remember that he sounds better now overall, IMO, than he did twenty years ago live.

At this age, that's saying something. I've learned to never count Bono out. If they're still performing in another twenty years (God willing)...and his voice is nearly shot...he will still find a way to sound exceptional on some songs.

I miss the deeper voice he had and sang with in previous tours. He still sounds brilliant for his age and how he's adapted his voice to go with getting older. BUT! it does sound like a lot these days that he is shouting these songs at us...
Old 08-04-2017, 10:24 AM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 09:18 AM
it is what it is at this point. I remember the Elevation Tour and how bad his voice was at times. I thought it was the beginning of the end. And then it seemed to improve with HTAAB and the Vertigo Tour. Hell I was at opening night of the Vertigo Tour in San Diego and nearly cried when I heard him hit some of the notes in Yahweh - which took me back to his 80s singing. But he just hasn't been the same singer since Elevation and maybe even Popmart.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #8
The Fly

While I'm sure a lot is due to age, he should never have started smoking
Old 08-04-2017, 05:55 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:18 AM
I think he sounds fine. He is 57 years old now & still sings/performs with great passion. Be thankful for what we got.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:32 PM   #10
War Child

Local Time: 12:18 PM
In some videos you can also see that he struggles physically hitting the high notes throughout this current tour.

Part may be due to age and for the fact that he has thousands of shows under his vocal cords.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:38 AM   #11
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:18 AM
There really is no point expecting post-1993 Bono to sound anywhere near as good as pre-1993 Bono.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #12
Babyface

Silly me was never interested in his voice
Old 08-06-2017, 07:29 AM   #13
War Child

Local Time: 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
There really is no point expecting post-1993 Bono to sound anywhere near as good as pre-1993 Bono.

True though this one off performance from 1996 is excellent especially the phrasing of the first verse. My all time favourite live version of One

https://youtu.be/nXD3z2AlGSo
Old 08-06-2017, 08:04 AM   #14
The Fly

Local Time: 11:18 AM
I was just having a conversation about this with my dad yesterday. I know some of you may rake me over the coals for this but I don't care...

So obviously, we can't expect to hear the same vocal strength out of a 57 year old man as we heard 24-30 years ago. He's had vocal struggles on stage for years. Zoo TV/Zooropa is the only Tour I can think of that he didn't lose his voice for a show. Ironic, as he was constantly smoking back then which I'm sure led to his vocal issues during Popmart. Listen to any popmart show when he sings "Mo-Fo!" at the show's opening. He sounds tired & vocally weak. Then, he mustered up some serious strength/energy for the Mexico City show & belted out a nice, passionate, higher range "Mo-Fo!". But then listen to his voice crack during WOWY. I think the smoking during the 90s really took a toll on the voice of a guy who already struggled with vocal issues. Regardless, I loved 90s U2. I felt that the energy & excitement was still there even when his voice wasn't. Elevation had some rough spots vocally but again, very passionate. Vertigo was pretty good vocally. Of course, he had the help of pre-recorded vocals for the higher/harder to hit notes for both of these tours. Don't believe me, listen to some of the IEM recordings of Elevation - the "ooo-oo's" are most definitely a recording. He may be singing over it to double it but trust me, it is recorded. Then listen to Crumbs from your table from 2005-10-04 in Boston. "You speak" & "I need" are recordings. He really let that out of the bag when he sang the wrong part at the wrong time & the backing track kept playing. A funny moment, I'd say. Shows his human-ness. Regardless, I don't think there's anything wrong with using those kind of tools. Some say it's cheating, I say it's a helpful tool. It's not like Milli Vanilli who's whole career was a farce. Anyway, fast forward to 360... a phenomenal tour. Before his surgery, bonos voice was struggling that tour. Listen to "No Line" at the breakdown, for example. But again, the excitement was there. Awesome setlist with surprises on occasion & lots of NLOTH material. Reminded me a bit of Zoo TV. After surgery, his voice was stronger. I read somewhere that he really worked on his voice during that period after surgery. The implementation of Hold Me, Thrill Me & Zooropa about made me piss myself with excitement. Watching him swing around with that dangling microphone... this was the Bono I knew & loved.

I&E was a good tour. However, The energy didn't seem to be there like it was before. I didn't even see that tour. I planned to drive 10 hours to New York and after hearing some of the recordings, I just didn't feel that same excitement as I had before. In other years, I would listen to the recordings and this would give me all excited for whatever show I had tickets to. Honestly, I ended up selling my tickets. It just didn't seem very appealing and honestly, I don't regret selling my tickets. Then came the announcement of this current tour and I was excited about it so I bought tickets on the fan club presale. I ended up not going. I don't know – maybe I'm just getting older and don't have the same sense of adventure as I used to but The idea of spending a ton of extra money on parking, food, drinks, hotel, gas just didn't sound fun. And after listening to the recordings, Bono just isn't bringing it this time for me. He's getting older, yes, and his voice most likely won't get better with age but I just feel like the energy isn't there. Yes, he's 57 and I don't expect him to run all over the place like he used to but I feel like, from what I've listened to, that he's bored with some of those songs and doesn't put any kind of energy into them. Listen to "pride" now.listen to the opening line of "with or without you". He's been singing it that way since the 360° tour. It just sounds like "here we go again – I'm really getting tired of singing these songs!"which, quite frankly, I would be tired of it too. Singing the same songs night after night, year after year would get pretty old. But, that's what happens when you have hit songs. People want to hear that stuff so give it some passion! It just feels like this is a quick make the money and be done tour. Don't get me wrong, I love hearing the Joshua tree from front to back but with the other songs aside from the Joshua tree set, we might as well be listening to U218. I get it – the Joshua tree was their biggest album and if people have only one U2 album in their collection, it's probably the Joshua tree. So even the casual fans associate U2 with the Joshua tree and therefore, probably only want to hear other songs like elevation, vertigo, beautiful day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, etc... you know, the mainstream tunes. Which, if saying was a little more passion, can be excellent! Anyway, I just feel like the level of passion for performing isn't there anymore for Bono. He's 57 and maybe tired, yes. But look at the Rolling Stones – they look dead on stage and yet the energy is still there. And I'm not a stones fan, myself. But they definitely have the energy and those guys are in their 70s! Anyway, not to bash Bono. I know some of you out there can't handle reading a negative word about Bono. I used to be the same way. So please don't hate on me. I'm just sharing my thoughts and feelings.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 08-06-2017, 08:04 AM   #15
The Fly

Local Time: 11:18 AM
Wow – that was long! I didn't realize how long it was until I posted it! Sorry to read a book to you all!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference