Bono Calls for Humility in the Age of Trump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Celebration

The Fly
I was surprised Bono's recent comments on U2.com didn't get more play so I wrote an essay about his perspective.

Bono Calls for Humility in the Age of Trump

"In the age of Donald Trump, it seems many artists are determined to build a wall between the Left and Right and ask their patrons to pay for it. One voice calling for humility and reflection in a time of polarization is U2’s Bono, who, not coincidentally, is the most effective celebrity advocate of his generation."

More:

U2’s Bono Calls for Humility in the Age of Trump - Opportunity Lives

Sorry, this article came off a lot like someone telling Bono and U2 what to do and how they should view Trump. It was also written as if America is Trump and reflects those who voted for him and their values with very little mention of those who voted for another candidate (or that there were actually more votes for that candidate). Indeed, it seems as though the stance is that the band and all of its followers need to understand or embrace Trump and those who supported him, whereas there is little discussion of understanding the views of the band or those who did not vote or support Trump. While the article is well-intended, perhaps some self reflection by the author is needed as well as to why U2 would not support such views. Just saying

I had faith Bono would take a deep breath before embarking on a US tour. Having said that Trump did inspire the best live performance of Desire since Zoo-TV (at iHeart)

In a round-a-bout way Trump did Make Desire Great Again

I had faith Bono would take a deep breath before embarking on a US tour. Having said that Trump did inspire the best live performance of Desire since Zoo-TV (at iHeart)

I would say that U2 were inspired to make it great again. The lyrics certainly fit the occasion and anyone who has closely followed the band and its ideals (not just the sound of Larry's drums or Edge's guitar) over the years would know that they had to speak up.

Im a British guy who has been following the US election and the aftermath closely... and I have to say the following:

Following the Trump's inauguration and his first few days, I found the article very good reading and yes it should be highlighted more into the wider world. While Bono's comment does not have the same impact as those given by the Edge, I find the humility is the only way to educate Trump (very very very slim chance Im afraid but no harm in trying) for what is entirely wrong with his so-caled (and very unorthodox) philosophy and his (you're fired!) brand of politicking and hopefully, he will listen somehow... BUT I don't see that changing now...

However the biggest problem for me will be not just Trump, it is his administration that has to do their jobs (whats more obeying Trump too!) and I fear that, many senior advisers and Trump himself, still does not have a clue what to do when they entered the White House... I am not sorry to say this but I find it very hard to believe that they will perform as well as those that preceded from Lincoln to Obama, because of precisely their inexperience (look at the number of billionaires in the lineup!) in governance. It is entirely different for Trump running his business and running the country - I mean they are absolutely poles apart in terms of governance. I don't believe Trump can fire people at will from their jobs like he did in his business... or can he?

Anyway, to summarise briefly without rambling on too much about my many disagreements and fears (and Im sure there are many of you here feeling the same...) for the future of USA, I just bloody hope the people of USA, the good people of the country can find sense in themselves to keep fighting every day to keep him in check... I pray for you all in USA...

dougal55

Sorry, this article came off a lot like someone telling Bono and U2 what to do and how they should view Trump. It was also written as if America is Trump and reflects those who voted for him and their values with very little mention of those who voted for another candidate (or that there were actually more votes for that candidate). Indeed, it seems as though the stance is that the band and all of its followers need to understand or embrace Trump and those who supported him, whereas there is little discussion of understanding the views of the band or those who did not vote or support Trump. While the article is well-intended, perhaps some self reflection by the author is needed as well as to why U2 would not support such views. Just saying

Are you suggesting that, because he didn't give an answer you expected, he must have been told to say something he didn't want to say? Since it appears on U2's website, it doesn't seem likely that he would be coerced or misrepresented by the author, but I could be wrong.

I've always liked that Bono questions his beliefs about things, and that's what he seems to be doing, here - searching for understanding about a major cultural shift that took him by surprise. And, headline aside, I got the impression that he's really speaking solely for himself, and not the band or the fans.

He's probably also cognizant that a) a number of U2 fans will have voted for the new president, and b) that he will likely be meeting with him to talk about his charity initiatives and the refugee crisis. I'm speculating on the latter clause, but it seems probable since he did so with the last three presidents.

Last edited:
Are you suggesting that, because he didn't give an answer you expected, he must have been told to say something he didn't want to say? Since it appears on U2's website, it doesn't seem likely that he would be coerced or misrepresented by the author, but I could be wrong.

I've always liked that Bono questions his beliefs about things, and that's what he seems to be doing, here - searching for understanding about a major cultural shift that took him by surprise. And, headline aside, I got the impression that he's really speaking solely for himself, and not the band or the fans.

He's probably also cognizant that a) a number of U2 fans will have voted for the new president, and b) that he will likely be meeting with him to talk about his charity initiatives and the refugee crisis. I'm speculating on the latter clause, but it seems probable since he did so with the last three presidents.

No, I think you misunderstood my reference. My post concerned the author of the article referenced (and linked to) in the first post above, not the article/interview with Bono that is posted on U2.com. I am totally fine with the U2.com piece as well as with what Bono had to say (about gaining some humility).

I completely agree with you on both of your points as to why he said it. I think that despite the fact that he is likely quite angry with the situation (and the man), he does not want to come across as being condescending to those who voted for him or to get into a public spat with trump now that the election is over. Yes, there is a business aspect to this point (there is a tour about to commence!), but in the wider scheme of things I think it also relates more to the causes he supports. He realized that despite disagreeing with certain right-wing politicians on many issues, that he would need to find a way to work with them (particularly when they are in power) if he really wanted to help those in the most dire situations especially in Africa. Despite likely disagreeing with them on 99/100 issues, he swallowed his pride for a much larger cause and earned their respect and support for his causes, which really was a selfless act.

As per the recent interviews and actions of the Edge and Adam, I do not think the rest of the band will follow suit, but I would be doubtful if Bono engages in direct criticism of the new administration while on stage during the JT tour. It just doesn't suit his priorities. That said, if things continue along the lines of the last week, which in my view has the potential to be more frightening than anything I have seen from the government in my lifetime, then Bono may switch priorities if he views the threat to certain core causes as being too dangerous.

B-man himself said there were bright lines that he would not cross

those lines have been crossed

what say you now, assholes?

Maybe he should (breathe deep) and do some Yoga...downward Dog is a good one to start...and ii so just luv the Child Pose...watch the shoulders mine needed Physical Therapy to heal...lol, live and learn...:)

Maybe he should (breathe deep) and do some Yoga...downward Dog is a good one to start...and ii so just luv the Child Pose...watch the shoulders mine needed Physical Therapy to heal...lol, live and learn...:)

Bono doing downward dog is not my favorite visual.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom