Australia doesn't quite know what the fuck is happening 2017 - 2039 - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > The Joshua Tree 2017 - Tour Central > General Tour Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2017, 02:05 AM   #91
45:33

Local Time: 09:09 PM
What an awesome insight. I remember how big the whole "when will she come back?!" was, stunned to hear it went so badly. Were $249 the cheapest tickets originally Puppy? If that's the case then I get it.

I miss the days when it was simply $99 for GA+L2,L3 seats / $149 B res / $249 A res.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:11 AM   #92
Vocal parasite

Just thinking - if it's mid-sized stadiums, will Adelaide miss out again? Footy Park and Adelaide Oval are both 50,000+. The other four cities have suitable smaller stadiums but there's nothing in SA.

I'm also curious about when we'll start hearing which New Zealand city/ies are in contention for a show. Mt Smart in Auckland is obvious, but I've noticed some artists doing Forsyth Barr in Dunedin as well as Auckland, and U2 really ought to go back to the South Island. And every tour there's the question of whether they'll hit the Cake Tin in Welly instead. (Fingers crossed on that last one.)

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:46 AM   #93
War Child

Local Time: 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
What an awesome insight. I remember how big the whole "when will she come back?!" was, stunned to hear it went so badly. Were $249 the cheapest tickets originally Puppy? If that's the case then I get it.

I miss the days when it was simply $99 for GA+L2,L3 seats / $149 B res / $249 A res.
She had front row for $2,000, Runway seats at $799 only available as pairs, 'B Stage' seats (6 rows of them!!!!) at $1,100. Then A reserve $499, B reserve $249 and C reserve at $99. I think the Sydney pre-concert river cruise was an extra $299 or so and that was without entry - just drinks and a DJ.

I saw the 2 Brisbane shows (on comp tickets) and there were huge gaps on the floor that security and the promotion teams were desperately plugging with people from the cheap seats. One friend had a $99 ticket and when she walked in just past security was given an 'upgraded' ticket that had $1,100 printed on it. Insane. The people up back were "encouraged" to move down.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:53 AM   #94
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Holy shit, I seriously can't believe the Madonna tour tanked like that. After the long wait I assumed that would've been one of the best-grossing international tours. Is there an explanation better than "market fatigue"? Some of those price points are just insane. Cashed up bogans and boomers (boomergans?) are a lucrative source of dollarydoos but there's surely a limit to what any sane person will drop on seats and insane VIP packages and shit like that.

Makes me wonder what Pink has got to be able to tour so lucratively while Madonna can't. I'd assume they have pretty strong market crossover.
Pink's last tour had two price points - $149 and $209. The tour before that was $99 and $149. She has previously made it at least kind of affordable. This tour - I don't know. I honestly wonder if they'll get the 40 shows at those price points.

As for who pays that much for Madonna - the gays. I know that sounds dismissive (I am gay myself) - but yeah. Madonna's people know who are cashed up and what they will pay to be close to her. Think about it - 24 million Australians. If 3% are gay that is 720,000 potential Madonna ticket buyers. It is terribly stereotypical and obviously proven very, very wrong. The younger generation don't give a shit about Madonna and that hurt her.

Me? I'm more of a Janet Jackson kind of gay man. Thus I am off on Thursday to see her Las Vegas show this Saturday night and to have a few meetings regarding another upcoming tour (no - not U2- sadly just Imagine Dragons lol). Back next week for the Pink pre-sale madness.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:02 AM   #95
Refugee

Local Time: 07:39 PM
Quote:
Just thinking - if it's mid-sized stadiums, will Adelaide miss out again? Footy Park and Adelaide Oval are both 50,000+. The other four cities have suitable smaller stadiums but there's nothing in SA.
There is Coopers/Hindmarsh Stadium. 20-25,000 capacity for concerts. Foo Fighters are playing there soon. Could be the right size for a U2 gig. I mean, yes, it will have been 12 years between drinks for Adelaide but as proved by Madonna sometimes long gaps between tours are actually detrimental.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:43 AM   #96
Vocal parasite

That's Norwood's ground right? I didn't realise it was used for gigs.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-10-2017, 05:45 AM   #97
Refugee

Quote:
That's Norwood's ground right? I didn't realise it was used for gigs.
It's a small rugby stadium shaped thing, I think mainly used for soccer. Not a footy oval.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:06 AM   #98
Vocal parasite

Huh, had no idea you guys even had a rectangular ground big enough for the likes of the Foos, U2, etc.

Upon looking it up, I discovered why I muddled it with Norwood's (bigger) home ground:

Quote:
The oval is one of two sporting venues in Adelaide to carry the name of Coopers Stadium. The other is the soccer specific Hindmarsh Stadium which also has naming rights sponsorship from Coopers Brewery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwood_Oval

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-10-2017, 06:11 PM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Also remember U2's visit down under for 360 didn't sell out, either. The 2nd Brisbane show was 2/3 full or so. Sydney and Melbourne failed to sell as much as they did on Vertigo, despite playing 360 instead of endstage. Apparently the 2nd Sydney show had roughly 40,000 people there, but they were able to make it look full-ish through creative selling.

Perth and Auckland were good, though.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:40 AM   #100
The Fly

Local Time: 06:09 PM
So by the sounds of it Australia will have to wait after yet another US and Europe leg before seeing U2 again?

FAR OUT!!!
Old 10-11-2017, 10:37 AM   #101
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
Also remember U2's visit down under for 360 didn't sell out, either. The 2nd Brisbane show was 2/3 full or so. Sydney and Melbourne failed to sell as much as they did on Vertigo, despite playing 360 instead of endstage. Apparently the 2nd Sydney show had roughly 40,000 people there, but they were able to make it look full-ish through creative selling.

Perth and Auckland were good, though.

Perth had a 12 year gap between Popmart and 360.... Might be the same time at this rate.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:26 AM   #102
Refugee

Here's the interview originally from 3 weeks ago, Bono talking about touring Australia

https://mobile.twitter.com/adampwf/s...39353823625217
Old 10-13-2017, 06:34 AM   #103
Refugee

Local Time: 11:09 PM
Quote:
I'm also curious about when we'll start hearing which New Zealand city/ies are in contention for a show. Mt Smart in Auckland is obvious, but I've noticed some artists doing Forsyth Barr in Dunedin as well as Auckland, and U2 really ought to go back to the South Island. And every tour there's the question of whether they'll hit the Cake Tin in Welly instead. (Fingers crossed on that last one.)
Forsyth Barr is an interesting one. I know the stadium team have been gunning for U2, and they've built a very good rapport with LN.
Ed Sheeran has sold three shows in a row here, Pink is coming, Stevie Nicks, Robbie Williams etc.
The fact it has a roof seems to be a big deal.

Other than that the only roofed venue in NZ is Spark Arena, with a 12k capacity. So if it is an arena setup they bring, NZ might be stuffed.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:36 AM   #104
Vocal parasite

Don't forget the arena in Christchurch!

I can't believe that the original Vertigo Tour plan was five shows at TSB in Wellington. That would've been fucking perfect, even if the venue itself is a hole - the smallest full-tour gigs since Point Depot in 1989.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-13-2017, 06:45 AM   #105
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargedVT View Post
Here's the interview originally from 3 weeks ago, Bono talking about touring Australia

https://mobile.twitter.com/adampwf/s...39353823625217

Cheers...... Hmmm so thought about starting here.... Doesn’t sound like they will though, I did wonder logistically about the rehearsal side of it.