Australia doesn't quite know what the fuck is happening 2017 - 2039

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On the other hand, if U2 are going to kiwila(n)d, they're going to play Forsyth Barr whether it's an arena or stadium tour. :wink:

But you're saying there are whispers of U2's first ever show in Dunedin?

There is a coy quiet smugness from those involved. Without getting people in trouble, and without overstating anything, my understanding is there is a quiet confidence that Dunedin will get U2. I'd extrapolate that out to mean U2 are shopping venues but, you know, hearsay etc.

That would be fucking awesome, and they better do like they did in 1993 with 3Ds and recognise quality New Zealand output by getting some fine local supports. I promise you I will come to Dunedin if the support is right. (I might anyway. And, well, even without any gigs I'll probably be visiting in 2018.)

I'm still waiting for a Welly gig. Always a Cake Tin rumour. Always wrong.

That would be fucking awesome, and they better do like they did in 1993 with 3Ds and recognise quality New Zealand output by getting some fine local supports. I promise you I will come to Dunedin if the support is right. (I might anyway. And, well, even without any gigs I'll probably be visiting in 2018.)

I'm still waiting for a Welly gig. Always a Cake Tin rumour. Always wrong.

They'd never do it. I'd be surprised if they even bothered with the Sth Is, but two landings, unpacks, set ups, pack ups, take off in the Nth Is? I don't see it.

If you make it to Dunedin I'll shout you a whiskey. Just the one, mind. We're Scottish and tight.

It'll be Jay-z rapping over the lumineers

Don't fucking encourage them.
The last two NZ tours had Kanye then Jay fucking Z.

I'll be petitioning to get the original Split Enz lineup together as one of the openers. Sell out twice as many shows that way.

They'd never do it. I'd be surprised if they even bothered with the Sth Is, but two landings, unpacks, set ups, pack ups, take off in the Nth Is? I don't see it.

If you make it to Dunedin I'll shout you a whiskey. Just the one, mind. We're Scottish and tight.

Don't worry, I'm descended from tight Central Otagonians. I'll take that whisky and be a). stoked to get something for free and b). feel kinda bad about taking something for free.

And hey, that multiple packing and unpacking was good enough for them in 1984, 1989, and 1993, and remains good enough for them in NYC!

I'll be petitioning to get the original Split Enz lineup together as one of the openers. Sell out twice as many shows that way.

If that happened, U2 would be the opener.

If that happened, U2 would be the opener.

With the original Enz lineup? Given it wasn't especially warmly received at Sweetwaters in '83, I doubt it'd be much different now...

U2 opening for the Dizrythmia-True Colors lineup, on the other hand...

Hi all - sorry I've been bogged down working on a Katy Perry promotion. Expect some deep discounting very soon. Her sales are abysmal. Witness has completely derailed her momentum. Dainty will probably lose money after paying KP's upfront fee.

Anyhow - U2. I've heard the guys want to stay indoors and the promoters want stadiums. The issue with indoors is that they don't want to do an extended run - so one of three things will happen. One - we'll see indoor shows most likely next Feb/March - but a limited run. Two - they'll cave in and do stadiums probably in March. Or three - no tour again.

I personally feel from what I've heard over the months that they really want to do shows in Asia. Madonna did well in Asia and Guy would know there is demand for U2 in a few markets and there is a lot of disposable income to be spent on concert tickets. If Asia (even just Japan) happens we'll get shows - unless they surprise us all and announce shows in Tokyo/Osaka for the end of this year and call it a day.

In conclusion - still all talk. No action. In my opinion I'm feeling less positive than I was.

:( thanks for the update man, really appreciate it. I suspect we'll get #3. Egos on both sides will be too big. Fucking shattering for, yknow, the fucking fans of the band. :sigh:

That's crazy about Katy Perry. I think it's not especially her fault... the ship has just sailed and she's no longer relevant to her previous audience.

I was expecting we'd already skipped to number 3, so that's something. It'd almost be easier if they completely ruled it out now.

So we've waited 8 years and 3 tours... the last 3 years full of rumours like "later this year" and "next year"... and now probably nothing for ANOTHER 4 years? How is that in any way acceptable?
I booked some Euro gigs just to be safe but actually thought they wouldn't miss us this time.

Hi all - sorry I've been bogged down working on a Katy Perry promotion. Expect some deep discounting very soon. Her sales are abysmal. Witness has completely derailed her momentum. Dainty will probably lose money after paying KP's upfront fee.

Anyhow - U2. I've heard the guys want to stay indoors and the promoters want stadiums. The issue with indoors is that they don't want to do an extended run - so one of three things will happen. One - we'll see indoor shows most likely next Feb/March - but a limited run. Two - they'll cave in and do stadiums probably in March. Or three - no tour again.

I personally feel from what I've heard over the months that they really want to do shows in Asia. Madonna did well in Asia and Guy would know there is demand for U2 in a few markets and there is a lot of disposable income to be spent on concert tickets. If Asia (even just Japan) happens we'll get shows - unless they surprise us all and announce shows in Tokyo/Osaka for the end of this year and call it a day.

In conclusion - still all talk. No action. In my opinion I'm feeling less positive than I was.

Interesting. You posting this they day after Adam's Rolling Stone interview is all starting to paint a picture of arenas vs stadiums. Adam basically stated they'd have to figure out a way to move into stadiums in order to go to places like Australia, New Zealand and Asia. I really hope you guys get your shows, one way or another.

I don't really get what the big deal is... pull out the JT 2017 stage, change the JT decor to SOE decor, and display the E&I Tour graphics on the screen behind the band. They'd have to change a few things, like not being able to perform inside the screen, but that wouldn't impact the show that much. Cedarwood Road and Blackout would be the only songs that would really require a different approach. They can still do the b-stage bit, except they'd have nothing to hang the wheel from... big deal. U2 employ the best people in the business, they can figure out a way to format this show for stadiums. I also think Europe could support a 25 show stadium leg next summer. They just need to stay away from North America for a few years.

They had no fucking problem going to stadiums on Vertigo for the markets that needed it, and if they really think playing inside the screen is that big a deal then they need their heads read.

They don't want an extended run of arena shows here, but they have no problem having underperforming arena shows in America or not announcing follow up shows due to poor sales of initial shows.

Back
Top Bottom